The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Less than 2D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Less than 2D
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Less than 2D Reply with quote

Why does the stats for imperial personell in 3. ed. R&E have values below 2D for abilities (like mechanical 1D+1)?
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2D/4D is for heroic characters, who have 1D extra for each attribute, while non-heroics have a 1D/3D cap for the lack of the extra D to assign. That's what I've gathered about that sort of thing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While that is true, i cannot ignore the fact that those npcs ignore the books own rules on racial mins and maxes.. SO i prefer to see them with 2ds..
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While that is true, i cannot ignore the fact that those npcs ignore the books own rules on racial mins and maxes.. SO i prefer to see them with 2ds..
The books are not ignoring the rules because these min/maxes are intended for heroic characters.

However, if you want to have all NPC's use heroic stats there is nothing wrong with this. The main reason they have "normal people" stats and heroic stats is so your PCs don't get killed by every NPC they get into a fight with. The higher heroic stats give them an edge. Personally I think the additional character points and Force points that PCs have give them enough of an edge so most of my NPCs use heroic stats. My players need more of a challange anyway.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would disagree. The Min/Max sets are for adult members of that species, heroic or not. Otherwise, why would the Attribute Dice ratings be set for average member instead of being set for heroic characters?

What it comes down to is simple mechanical oversight on behalf of the game designers. They've set the game so that 2D represents the average human level... yet they've also set it as being the lowest human level. Some character designers probably worked with the average concept, others worked with the minimum concept... hence, you have some characters designed who have less than average stats, and consequently, less than minimum.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because the typical hero gets 18d for attributes and the "average person" gets 12d. They want, say, 2d+2 in Dexterity, so they rob +1 from 2 other attributes instead of just making some attributes higher.

And I agree with you, Garkhal, I like to use Heroic attribute levels for my bad guys (especially after a few adventures). The heroes have had time to use CPs, and the NPCs are generally not that deadly.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stat out named bad guys and NPC's as I would a PC. I use those lower numbers for mooks, though.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that lower stats show stunted development in those areas but all human NPC's should have a min of 2D.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its cause of this, that i prefer mook npcs to have 14d, middling ncps to have 15d and major npcs to have 18d as the pcs.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you guys are obviously forgetting the part where the "average" human is listed at 12D for attributes. Human attributes range from 1D to 4D. PLAYER CHARACTER attributes range from 2D to 4D to give the player characters an advantage over the NPCs. That is also why the PCs get 18D to allocate rather than the 12D of NPCs.

If you want your NPCs to have more attributes, that's your prerogative, but it in no way invalidates the intention that WEG created humans to between 1D and 4D, with a "typical" common human having 2D in an attribute.

If you want stronger NPCs to throw at your group, then create them. If you want super bad guys that are equivalent to the PCs, then create them. Just don't assume that the designers made a mistake when they didn't when they statted out the common NPCs. They're "common" for a reason.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
...the intention that WEG created humans to between 1D and 4D, with a "typical" common human having 2D in an attribute.

I'm not sure that 1D/4D WAS WEG's intention for human min/maxes... if it was, wouldn't they have stated such SOMEWHERE other than a few individuals' stats? Any statement that I've come across (ie. 2nd Ed. main book, p.133) has made it clear that species min/max values given in their species description are that species' min/max, and it's also implied that those values given are intended for all members of the species (ie. Attribute Dice listed are for standard members of that species, not extraordinary members).

But that could be a matter of interpretation.
Maur
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the limits listed are the limits, even for extraordinary examples of a given species. Being extraordinary just gave you more dice to start with to spread into those attributes.

SW 2nd Ed. pg. 133
Human attributes minimums are 2d, maximums are 4d.

pg. 135
Sidebar "Roleplaying Aliens"
All alien player characters begin with 6d more than the species starting attributes - Just like humans. for example, if an ewok has 12d, then an ewok player character has 18d. When the attributes dice are allocated, all attributes must fit within the minimums and maximums given for the species.

these attributes may be improved with experience (up to the species maximum), but beginning characters must start within the attribute ranges for their species.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you suggesting that non-player characters of humans, with only 12D to allocate, are all the worst of the human race as far as quality in attributes? With only 12D to allocate, if 2D is the lowest that can be put into an attribute, then all NPCs would have exactly 2D in every attribute. They could never have more than 2D, because in order to do that, they would have to drop another attribute below 2D.

So NPC politicans, NPC soldiers, NPC ambassadors, NPC generals...they will all be 2D in every attribute...the absolute lowest that a human could be....if you say that 2D is the hard and fast bottom limit.

I say look at the examples given. NPCs have a limit of 1D / 4D for attributes, and only use 12D to allocate. PCs are better all around, getting not only more dice to allocate, but they also have a "low end" that is equivalent to the average human. The "average" PC is equal to an above average NPC. Do what works best in your game, but realize that, based on the examples given, common humans DO have less than the minimum, and the reason for this is that the minimum is listed for Heroic player characters, not the average joe bloe.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So are you suggesting that non-player characters of humans, with only 12D to allocate, are all the worst of the human race as far as quality in attributes? With only 12D to allocate, if 2D is the lowest that can be put into an attribute, then all NPCs would have exactly 2D in every attribute. They could never have more than 2D, because in order to do that, they would have to drop another attribute below 2D.

Yup. Though they too could buy up their attributes like heroes could. Like a senator could have bought up 2-3pips worth of PER improvement.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:

So NPC politicans, NPC soldiers, NPC ambassadors, NPC generals...they will all be 2D in every attribute...the absolute lowest that a human could be....if you say that 2D is the hard and fast bottom limit.

I'm suggesting that that is what the rules state. In prior posts, I've also suggested that it doesn't make logical sense... but that is what they state (with the amendment of what garhkal said above). I've also suggested that some character designers at WEG didn't necessarily follow the stated rules, but followed more logical ones, in which there are below average individuals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: