The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Attacking Through Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Attacking Through Weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that they called everything lasers because a laser is used in the creation of the bolt. Similar to how we call most long arms rifles, even though rifling is the grove in the barrel that cause the bullet to spin, and not the actual name of the weapon itself…a colloquialism, that Star Wars shares.

Other differences between lasers and Blasters (or Turbo lasers) are…

Blasters travel in a bolt form…lasers are a beam.
Lasers cannot be seen unless look straight at it…. bolts glow from any angle.
Bolts have some form of kinetic impact…lasers do not.
Bolts travel slower than light in a vacuum while lasers would travel at light speed.
Bolts have the ability to “burst” much like flak…lasers do not.
Bolts interact with Lightsabre beams…lasers might not have the same effect.

Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
Damaged Weapons
Pg. 95 In The Star Wars Roleplaying Game; Revised and Expanded

Weapons can suffer damage in combat, such as when a lightsaber slices through a blaster or vibroweapon, or a weapon gets dropped, or as a result of a "complication" that leads to a serious malfunction.
If a weapon is damaged, roll its body strength to resist damage. Most hand weapons -- such as blaster pistols, vibro-axes and so forth -- have a body strength of 2D (regardless of how much damage they cause).

Damage Roll > Body Strength Roll by: = Weapon Is:

• 0-3 = Not Seriously Damaged
  • 4-8 = Lightly Damaged
  • 9-12 = Heavily Damaged
  • 13-15 = Severely Damaged
  • 16+ = Destroyed

Lightly Damaged weapons lose -1D off their damage value
Heavily Damaged weapons lose -2D off their damage and +10 to all difficulties to use in combat.
Severely Damaged weapons cannot be used, but may be repaired.
Destroyed weapons may not be repaired.

Weapon Repairs are discussed in the "Using Repair Skills" section in "Attributes and Skills."

Note: Damage to ordinary objects can also becovered using this rule. Pick the object's body strength and compare the rolll to the damage roll. Find the result on the chart above.

That's the Official stuff on damaging weapons... but, that still doesn't answer my question on whether or not a person is able to slice through a weapon, and another person with a single swing of their vibro-blade.

Back to the original topic Razz

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only 2d? i think thats a little weak esp for melee weapons a gun i could maybe understand that seing how its electronic but a regular sword is going to be hardened beyond reasoning and smooth i don't see a blaster doing anything much to one other than leaving a scorch mark. same for slugthrowers there crud simple and deadly and can take a tone of abuse. i would assume a blaster can take about as much as long as they don't overheat. i would give a weapon at least a 4d body. unless other wise stated and then maybe lower the body as players make the weapon more powerful via mods...
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people don't even think about slicing up weapons unless they have a lightsaber... and a lightsaber is almost surely going to cut right through any vibroblade or vibroaxe, so why give the vibroblade a 4D str that almost matches the damage output of a lightsaber, unless you're not going to even have the lightsaber have to roll damage against it...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most weapons are made for the mil, so they have to be tough. Real world example the ak-47 will put up with things that should break it and other wise mess it up beyond repair. i have put mine thru some pretty nasty trails it fell down a rock quarry (about 30 feet) with a full mag no harm done with a "2d" body the weapon would have been fragged. blasters and the like have to be tough or they dont do anybody any good, this being said a light saber will still cut thru them but they are tougher than 2d.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could most definitely see weaponry have a higher toughness, Like Zar said; even modern weapons are designed to take some serious punishment. That’s the nature of combat in the field, sometimes you shoot someone and other time you beat them to death with it.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think 2d is enough. I mean really, a blaster can blast away anything at the right setting and range. 4d is a lot of damage. Considering the average roll with 2d is what, six. That's why most blasters are illegal. Now I think that rule for damaged weapons is just a standard like the rule of thumb. The MOG can make the call on what the str is on any weapon. D20 rules offer some sort of toughness rating. Blasphemy I tell you. They leave nothing for the MOG to decide.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, I could see a variance based on materials used in construction, quality of manufacture, etc. Some weapons might be a little hardier than others.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as when i use 4d for melee weapons etc. and say a light saber doesn't cut thru it i would tell the player "You Slash at Ninja Gaidens Sword and he turns aside at the last second you graze the weapon doing minor damage to it." i mean its all in how you tell the story like in one post Loc said even though the standard stormtrooper has a crappy blaster skill and is sending shots everywhere you can say. " A blaster bolt goes wizzing past your ear just missing you!" the player doesn't need to know how close they were esp if you don't want to kill a player and you just rolled a 24 on your wild die and 3 other dice too. i mean i'll pick up dice if they start to ruin my plans and you can ask zar he's seen my wild die do this on many occasions i just think that Millitary grade weapons are tougher than the books give them credit for.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: F.Y.I. Reply with quote

Excerp from StarWars : The Essential Guide To Weapons And Technology
Page 56 : Lightsaber
"The lightsaber's jewels focus the power cell's energy charge into a tight parallel beam that emerges from the blade emitter as a vibrant blade of pure energy."

Excerp from StarWars : The Essential Guide To Weapons And Technology
Page 58 : Exar Kun's Lightsaber
"Panels controlled each blade's intensity: at its highest setting, a blade was like any other lightsaber, with the ability to cut through dense materials such as armor plating and durasteel with no resistance. At the lowest power setting the blade became a simple shaft of light, delivering no damage and providing no resistance against lightsaber attacks.

Hope this sheds some "light" on the subject. Laughing 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Attacking Through Weapons Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
I was wondering if any of you have any house rules that you use for attacking through someone else's weapon. I had this one experience where i was fighting off tusken raiders with a vibro-sword, and i went through their gaffi sticks, but i think the GM just decided to let me do it for story factor. I mean, how do you determine the soak dice for weapons, the only weapon i've seen with a body strength is the Verpine Shatter Gun.

So, what do you guys think?

As a GM I don't usually let anyone cut thru someone else's weapon unless it was a "called shot" or on massive damage criticals as a freebie. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: