The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Kinetic Combat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Kinetic Combat.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcesAndEights
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Kinetic Combat. Reply with quote

Does any one have addition information about this ability? I'm using the the fan sourcebook for force powers and it is kind of vague. I'm wondering if you can use it in combination with lightsaber combat, any of the forms, or cadences. Also, what the difficulties, if any? I've just been using it as an extension of telekinesis with a moderate-difficult rating.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the Force Powers PDF Cheshire and I compiled? Because there I think the power is pretty well explained. You make a Difficult Alter roll and the power is activated, from then on you can fight with your saber/melee weapon from a distance as if you were wielding it normally... The only limitation is that you can only make one attack the first round.

Now, if you ask me if I like this power and its mechanics? Not very much no, it's just a d20 conversion so.. do with it as you please.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one that converted it, and there are a number of difficulties when trying to move this from d20 to D6.

First, there really isn't a d20 lightsaber combat power. Second, the combat mechanics of d20 and D6 are very different, and so this power is a lot more useful in d20.

However, given the way that the power was written, I would personally say that it doesn't stack with lightsaber combat. But, the mechanics of lightsaber combat deal with sensing your oponent, and using your control to make the damage more effective. So, I see no logical reason why the two can't be used together.

As a GM I would have only one objection. I think this power can make a player a bit more powerful than the ought to be if you let them stack. The Jedi are supposed to be extremely powerful when in melee range. To give them too much reach with their weapons gives them too much of an edge over regular players, and could upset game balance. It's primarily for that reason why I would discourage it's use with lightsaber combat.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the RAW, I'd say this would be a power that would probably incur a DSP to use as well; kind of like telekinetic kill and the like.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your logic, though I'm not sure I would agree.

If a Jedi decided to throw his/her lightsaber, but guided it with TK, I don't think that would be a DSP. Here the only difference is manipulating it, rather than aiming.

Also, the rules for TK say the following:
Quote:

+11 to +25 or more for complex maneuvers,
such as using a levitated lightsaber to attack.

Later the power describes what happens if you try to hurl a rock at someone's head (some four paragraphs down). I don't think that they intend for you to get a DSP for using TK with a lightsaber. Kinetic Combat only makes you more effective at it.

Just my two cents.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of the automatic DSP thing in a lot of cases in which it appears in official powers even. Just thought that it kind of fit with the theme that WEG tended to use to determine it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Yeah. I'm not a big fan of the automatic DSP thing in a lot of cases in which it appears in official powers even. Just thought that it kind of fit with the theme that WEG tended to use to determine it.

True it does fit, much like that 'shadow boxing' like power i saw somewhere, where you could use the force to make a ranged punch/kick etc, but if going for more than stun/incap damage it incured a DSP..
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw either that power or a similar one that was described similarly.
Maur
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6 was a lot more stringent about handing out DSPs since it takes far fewer to turn to the Dark Side. D20 hands them out a lot more easily since it takes a lot more of them to turn a character (though non-force users still have a harder time aquiring them unlike the force users :) ).
AcesAndEights
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The character I was going to have use it is an NPC. He is mostly defensive, which is one of the reasons I asked about he forms (Sorosu). I have a much better grasp on what it can be used for now, so what I have intended should be fine. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

And as to non-force sensitvie characters getting DSPs, tell that to my characters. You would be surprised how easy it is to get DSPs when you like to play b@st@rd* characters. I currently have 5 DSPs on one of my characters (of course he started out with two), who is less than 3 months old. He will be a fun NPC to play against though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: