The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Confussion with power packs/power cells.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Confussion with power packs/power cells.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Confussion with power packs/power cells. Reply with quote

I noticed that in most of WEG books power cells are treated as universal energy sources (containing just energy). It includes blaster power packs (some devices are using them as power sources). Also "How blaster works" (Cracken's Rebel Field Guide p.63) has a blaster diagram with power pack separate from gas chamber.
But Rebel SpecForce Handbook (p.67) says something completely different, it even calls power packs a "blaster gas power packs".
Also in CRFG (p.63 last paragraph) large gas canister ("that can keep six active Rebels supplied with excitable gases for two weeks") costs 50cr., but in RSH blaster gas canister (5000 shots) costs 1250 (0.25cr./shot).
Wookiepedia doesn't tell much (except that: "Most power cells contained concentrated amounts of gases").
What you think about all this?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is indeed a lot of contradictory facts published about power packs and blaster gas. There's no way to reconcile the Cracken's description with the one in SpecForces, unfortunately. Personally, I much prefer the Cracken definition: Power packs are simply electric energy cells. The blaster gas cannister is part of the blaster, and needs only be refilled from time to time. The power pack is used to ignite the gas, producing the blaster bolt.

It makes a lot more sense this way, mainly because a Blaster Power Pack is called that, not "Blaster Gas Pack" or anything like that. I've been planning on doing something about that Wookieepedia article for some time, but I'm just not very sure how to proceed.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Graphical Reference books mention that it's in the Blaster itself. Usually they state that the Blaster can hold enough gas for 1,000 blasts.

Some Blasters need a particular type of Blaster Gas, too.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, I agree with both of you.
Plus note about blaster gas canisters - I think Cracken has right. Large gas canister (~5000 shots, size of canteen) should cost about 50cr (1 centicred per shot), because 1250cr for 5000 shots (0.25cr per shot) is much too much (100 shots = 25cr = cost of power cell). Moreover, in Far Orbit Project blaster gas canister (110kg, 1 meter tall) costs only 1000cr.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's for "The Good Stuff", too. Natural Blaster Gas. Clean burning, high temperature plasma generating, and easy to contain in a magnetic bubble.

You can use cheaper, artificial blaster gasses as well, but they're not really worth it. But sometimes you're stuck with it.

Or that's all you can loot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: