The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Back to Our Roots
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Back to Our Roots Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lima
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Back to Our Roots Reply with quote

Does anyone let players roll dice and see their quantitative results in comparison to their adversaries' anymore? Does anyone talk about the awesome stats anymore?

I feel it must be said that, in removing the 'gambling' and 'tech-talk' aspects of this game, we are robbing ourselves of some of its most rewarding components. Only the gamemasters are allowed to revel in the 'crap shoot' and lift the hoods to get a look at the engines, and I for one say 'NAY!' to this travesty; this... this abomination of gamer interface policy.

I call for a revival to those neat, rolling dice programs that we could pretend were 'for all the marbles.' And I miss the feeling of knowing that my heavy laser cannon kicked your heavy laser cannon in the forward wiring panel. Let us remember our heritage. Let us remember that, though it forged the way but bluntly, some of it needs no 'improvement.'

Someone heed my call. Some valiant croupier take up the torch and bring the Vegas back into Star Wars. I've already got the scantily clad girls hanging on the wallpaper.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... what?
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your passion brother! But I don't know if I totally understood.

Let's see if I feel ya..

When I get to play table top RPGs (very rarely these day) we LOVE to roll and see our results vs. those of the baddies - and yes we love to talk trash to each other about our various skills and abilities and how 'my character can beat up your character' or 'out fly your character' or 'stuff your character up a bantha's butt crack'.

But alas, the only RPGing I get these days is online - still rare but at least ocassional - and in the online environment you don't get to see the opposing rolls (at least in the games I have been in) and to talk up your awesome stats and or do some playful trash talkin' can cause misunderstandings in cyberspace where nuanced voice influctions of sarcasm or humor don't carry well. And keeping online play going is hard enough without misunderstandings.

I too think that the sound and feel of the dice is part of the RPG experience that should never be completely surrendered to computerized random number generatoring programs.

Where ever I am, the rolling of dice will always be alive and well.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that.

What, by the Emperor's Black Bones are you talking about, lima?

When did we stop rolling dice, checking the opponent's rolls, and b**** about everything in between?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think lima might be anti PbP games... or spreadsheets or that sort of thing

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Last edited by Esoomian on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's always an online dice server like the one HERE.

You can have the results emailed to each player or just to the GM and player concerned, however you want to do it.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, take games to IRC or something, where die rolls can be presented right in channel with everyone looking.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm, dice rolling scripts.

it does bring back most of the joy of rolling dice. you type !roll 4 1 to roll 4D+1 and it tells you right inthe channel what you rolled.

Now granted, the suspence of the dice hitting the table, bouncing and such is gone.

you will never get the all important roll that you make, and one of the dice start spinning on a corner, the whole party leaning in toward it willing it to land on a 6

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
lima
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear that; about the suspence. One of you needs to write a program that doles out a number everyyyyy...like fifteen minutes, or something, to put some of the tension back into rolling the dice. I'm no good with programming, but one of you has to be good enough to create something simple like that, right? Come on Mad , sound up, you pansies! Do you parts, people.

Hard to find good help around here, am I right?

And Camero, you had it right, brutha. You spoke from the heart on that one, but I have to cast my vote for a little more confidence in the mutual desire of us laaazy people 8) to get together, in an environment that doesn't require proper attire, and...say it with me, now...a-Git down t'night! Am I right!? Anyway, people wouln't fight too much, I don't think. We can all take a cue from the Beatles, right? I mean, I know they're Arrow British and all, but we can all admire or at least respect the Beatles, I think. And the Beatles, they loved peace, so let's all just love peace and....do I sound like a total hippie? Still, that's what we should do, and there'll be no problem.

Besides, an occasional verbal lightsaber duel is fun to witness...or perhaps administer. Twisted Evil [You didn't hear that from me, though.] And You'll notice that I said duel, not blaster fight or bludgening. Let's keep the swearing to a minimum, for sure. We can all do that. We're, most of us, grown-ups, kinda.

And what about that IRC, deal? How much would moving a posting to IRC involve?

Last edited by lima on Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...this thread continues to puzzle me...
lima
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR!... OR, are there any dice rolling programs that play random recordings of dice being tossed, and that would replay when clicked on? That would be cool. Anybody have a better idea? Speak up, you skinny and narrow-boned sons of indigent Hutts!

Talk to your people. Bring them here for a discussion. Let's, all of us offer some ideas and see if there is any interest. Are you WITH ME, people! We'll be like Braveheart, and his pack of opressed and pantiless Scotts! We'll live in the wilderness then spring forth, under cover of night, and set fire to their rooftops. We'll chop off their hands, steal their horses, and spit on their ancestors bones. We'll seize their maidens.

Mmmmmm....maidens Smile
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not really "with you". But if you're so crazy about rolling dice, why don't you just set up a video conference and point your webcam at your dice? That would work...
lima
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, I lack a webcam. I am incredibly poor. I live in a van down by the river, you see, and the lighting is not so very condusive to recorded footage.

One of YOU must do this! I will make you an offer you can't refuse. On this, the day of my daughter''s wedding, I will do this thing, and there will come a time when I will ask you to do a thing. That day may never come.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Gry Sarth wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: