The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

LOS for force powers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> LOS for force powers.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: LOS for force powers. Reply with quote

I am wondering if i am using Receptive Telepathy, or some similar mind linking power, can i be considered to have LOS FROM the one i am linked with?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... what's LOS ?
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shortcut for Line Of Sight... And yes, I would strongly consider mind linking powers to be Line Of Sight, but I would not count receptive telepathy to be among them.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Empire Strikes Back, Projective Telepathy doesn't require Line of Sight... I'm not sure that Receptive should either.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, they are both "modified by proximity", which states a higher difficulty for out of sight targets, certainly possible, but harder. And I don't think it changes anything if your target can see you, since it is you who's trying to establish the mind link. And unless you're using Merge Senses (which only works on beasts) you don't really see through your target's eyes, you just hear his thoughts.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
According to Empire Strikes Back, Projective Telepathy doesn't require Line of Sight... I'm not sure that Receptive should either.

The question was not if the power requires LOS (it doesn't) but if you are considered to have LOS once you have established contact to someone with this power.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kneejerk reaction would be "no", because, as Gry points out they are modified by proximity...

I'd almost look at it like using walkie-talkies or CB radios. With only one wall separating you, it's easy to talk to someone... down the block, you can still understand them... across town, it's becoming fuzzier and fuzzier... across the nation... it could be done, with the proper power boost... etc, etc, etc.
OtterJethro
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Receptive Telepathy always seemed to me as a power to read ones mind and thoughts. You can receive whatever the person is thinking. I think of it in reverse of Projective. Projective was Darth Vader sending a message to Luke Skywalker as he was leaving in Empire Strikes Back. He didnt see anything that Vader saw. He could just hear the message that was sent.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually looking at this for a team effort by baddies.. Say the force user one stays back with RT (or some other mind link up) and uses a brute to get up close..
OtterJethro
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if a jedi was trying to see what one of his minions sees, my guess is that he would just use farseeing. Farseeing can be used to see things in real time and is alot easier than trying to see the past or future. He wouldn't necessarily even need a brute to get close. He would be able to use farseeing directly on your group.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

The question was not if the power requires LOS (it doesn't) but if you are considered to have LOS once you have established contact to someone with this power.

Ah, right, I guess I read too quickly.
I wouldn't say that making the link would establish a LOS idea, myself. Line of Sight is pretty much just that, you have to be able to see the individual under your own senses.

RT is kind of a surface thought reception; while that may include images, it's probably not going to include that individual's actual sensory perception. Different ideas really. I wouldn't grant LOS with its use.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rule no. I don't think that it would give you line of sight if a mind-linked person had line of sight. Mostly it's because the Star Wars mind-linking powers aren't that powerful or precise. The only thing that does give you an exact concept of another's senses is Merge Senses. It seems that was only designed for receiving the perceptions of animals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: