The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Promoting WEG Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups -> Promoting WEG Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robot Ron
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Promoting WEG Star Wars Reply with quote

I've been thinking, we need more members for this forum and we need more people playing WEG Star Wars in general. We don't want it to die out or anything. Anyways, we need to organize and take some measures to bring new players into the game. The Rancor Pit site is a great, great resource, especially for new players, but it's not like many non-WEG Star Wars players happen to stumble on to the site. Loc, you should set something up on the site encouraging people to start groups with people who have never played the game before. It would also help if there was some kind of tutorial or intro adventure, but it would have to be good so we can prove to potential players that WEG is better than D20.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of creating a tutorial or summary of the rules for new players. I have all of the WEG adventure books (haven't read most of them yet though), maybe I could come up with an intro adventure from one of them. Has anyone ever played any of the pre-made WEG adventures? If so, do you have a favorite?

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original pre-made adventure is still my favorite:
"Tatooine Manhunt"
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on getting some D&D nerds to play Star Wars WEG and not that Blasphemis D20 system.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Robot Ron
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about just any old module, I'm talking about something that will give the D6 system a chance to flex its muscles. Think of the beginning of Star Wars A New Hope, with the theme music and the words, then the Star Destroyer and the Corvette blasting across the screen. We need something that's the equivalent of that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recruited people from school that have never role played in their lives before... now if i could only get them to show up a little more regularly...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always use the adventures in the 2nd Ed RAE, the cantina breakout or the pirates of prexiar. But every gamer is different so its hard to make an adventure for people you don't know.

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played some of the premade ones, the one that I like the most was from the Tapani Sector instant adventures book that was kinda like the movie event horizen. In fact when I GM it I renamed the ship Event Horizen in honor of the likeness.
Ditonnrekk
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own only... I think two of the original WEG star wars modules: Otherspace and its sequel (cleverly called Otherspace II!! [... or, its full title: "Otherspace II: Invasion"), both by Bill Slavicsek (who was one of my fave gaming authors, until he TURNED TRAITOR!! [his name is among the credits in the 3rd edition D&D PHB]). Someone at Rancor Pit must already own those modules, because I noticed that you guys have the Charon up on your "species" page.

But I also have a rare prize among my somewhat sparse WEG SW library... the Dark Stryder boxed set (an adventure campaign written by Tim Zahn for WEG). I dunno how many others of you have seen this, but it's amazing!

As to promoting WEG SW through this site... I'm going to be a bit selfish and suggest that the Rancor Pit host its own Star Wars PBeM group(s). Dark Stryder would be an excellent way to do that.

I've run a couple of PBeMs in the past, so I'd be willing to help out. But I would expect a few co-GMs to help *me* out with the technical end of running things, since my knowledge of the WEG system isn't in-depth enough to really be a good gamemaster (part of the reason I wanted to find a PBeM group to play in, rather than be so bold as to start up my own game).

Now, I have a scanner, but I am also a decent typist, so I can scan/transcribe information on Dark Stryder for anyone who's interested. But there is a lot in the boxed set... two booklets, a bunch of character and vehicle cards... it's a task, no matter how you slice it :-p but Tim Zahn's name on the product helps us out a bit, I think, since what we're looking for is muscle to associated with the WEG system among SW fans.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am (hopefully) going to GM at the Strategicon in Burbank, CA, during Memorial Day weekend (on Sunday I think).

If you are in the neighborhood, swing in and play!
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m always up for downloading goodies.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am going to be GMing at Strategicon. Please see elsewhere on the forums for additional information.

Hope to see some of you there! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: