The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Climbing/Jumping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Climbing/Jumping Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i disagree on limiting str skills other than lifting... just because someone only has a 1 or 2D str doesn't mean they can't be any less acrobatic (see acrobatics skill in Han Solo and the Corporate Sector) or not be able to climb a steep ledge, or maybe can't swim as well... because maybe they can, cause just cause they're of smaller size or whatever, and it's less work for them or something like that
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll third that motion on the basis of common sense.
I’m sure everyone here knows that to accomplish certain tasks requires skill and technique, but not all tasks are created equal. The ability to hold open a blast door may grant a bonus to someone who knows how to use their strength to the fullest effect (such as having a high lift skill). But within certain logical parameters; for example I may know and understand all the tricks to successful power lifting, and I may do a great job with lighter weights. But unless my strength is greater I will never be able to lift the weights that Olympic lifters achieve, no matter how much technique I apply.

Unless I use the Force. Wink
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: CLimbing / Jumping and Lifting Reply with quote

Climbing and Jumping *should* be separate skills.
BUT! (theres always a but, right?)
They are quite "useless"skills compared with... blaster, dodge, starfighter piloting, security (the skills that everyone seems to roll for over and over).

Why spend like 75 experience points to get a skill to a decent level, when you're rolling for it one or twice (if you're lucky) every three sessions?

In my group only two people have those skills... both Jumping [specialization]
An assassin (she uses it for 0G maneuvers and falling where she wants)
And myself (jedi knight?) i use jumping to... jump!!! (when i do tk jumps the GMs allways make me roll jumping to see how good was it.

About lifting...
The only character that ever raised it was a Velocirraptor-Like alien...
Though our assassin should raise it; each time she has to lift herself from the edge of an abyss (believe it or not, it happens quite frequently) she has a hard time getting that moderate with 2D.

By the way, this is my first post, hi all!!!
Take my sun away, away...
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: CLimbing / Jumping and Lifting Reply with quote

Icebrand wrote:
By the way, this is my first post, hi all!!!

Welcome to the forums, Icebrand! Very Happy

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifting is a valuable skill... you never know when you'll need to lift a fallen comerade out of a sticky situation.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read all the points, and come to think of it, I never considered seperating climbing/jumping into two skills. It does save points and time if they were one skill, but I agree that they are different abilities.
On the topic of combined skills, Blaster repair works with slug throwers, yet they are two different devices. At the same time blasters and slugthrowers, the dex skills, are seperated. The use of said items is more similiar than the building and repairing of them.
Not many of my pcs invested in climbing/jumping or blaster rep. so it doesn't seem to be a big deal to mean either way.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the exception of Crell - for blaster repair, and My infiltrator, for climbing/jumping Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though Ragnar has not invested lots of CP in blaster rep. he still uses it.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use climbing/jumping frequently but only really the jumping side of things.

I use jumping to get in and out of situations in a rather unexpected manner

I once escaped a slaver ambush by leaping over a ten metre high fence.

A little creativity and most skills can be used well
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I suggested the separation is because the two are not related, I could see people wanting to combine say Con and Bargain into one skill, after all they are both basically fast talking someone.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:

as for climbing/jumping i've only seen one character in my entire career playing starwars who put anything into that... he was one of my specforce infiltrators, and he specialized in climbing Smile

Guys I'm shocked reading that thread. Isn't SW about being heroes doing heroic feats? Jumping shafts with a princess in your arms, chasing some one on top of roofs, climbing up the legs of an AT-AT, jumping up and out of the tank of a carbonite sealer before it starts...

If the players want to be heroes make the they have the skill to be so...
Climbing/jumping is one hell of an important skill.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falling down a ladder into a Hold full of Veteran Stormtroopers...

Falling off a CAV and then getting run over by it...

Falling down a Garbage Chute in a Space Station while a horde of Undead hungry for our flesh are under us...

Having to use a Hoe and some Synthrope to climb to another building...

While not as important as Dodge, Climbing/Jumping is a bloody important skill!!!
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you all remember when Hide/Sneak were one skill? Then they separated them in the 2nd edition.

I felt that those were closer than climbing/jumping. I separated them because the books did so, but always felt that was simply another way for the chars to have to spend CPs.

Just a thought...
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that the question hasn't come up about how far one can climb, assuming they make their climb skill roll.

I think I'm going to take a page from D&D 5e and basically make it half speed for Cautious or Cruising speed (and not allow it at High or All-Out).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought, after seeing how far one can climb, I think I'm only going to allow characters to climb at Cruising speed if the object they're climbing allows it. So not only will the surface determine the difficulty, but it could affect how fast one can scale it.

So for instance a ladder is easy enough, or a surface with many convenient places to grip. I'd allow Cautious or Cruising speed, but it might increase the difficulty if you try to do it faster.

But a tough to climb surface, with no hand holes or places to grip, would not only be Difficult, but also not allow anything over Cautious movement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: