The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Two things: Semi-Related (ewoks)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Two things: Semi-Related (ewoks)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Two things: Semi-Related (ewoks) Reply with quote

A long time ago in a state far far away my gaming group and I began to tire of the stock Star Wars campaigns. We opted to take a break from the norm and try something different: an all Ewok campaign based on entirely on Endor.

Now I know it probably sounds silly, but the Ewok campaign we came up with was one of the best and most fun games we ever played. We devised different Ewok templates (hunter, gatherer, medicine man, shaman, warrior, etc) and a whole set of social structures and Ewok culture stuff. Now obviously this was all stuff we came up with and nothing 'official' or anything.

Does anyone know if anything has been released from WEG or Wizards about Ewok culture and society?

Also, if anyone is interested (which I doubt, but hey, fun to ask) I could probably dig out my old notes on what we had created to share with yall.

And lastly here is an email conversation me and two of my friends had while bored at work/school one day about one simple question: Who would win, Ewoks or Jawas? Think you can figure out which one of us is the Anthropology major?

Ewoks vs. Jawas: The Great Debate

Quote:
Jawas have sandcrawlers and ion blasters, but Ewoks can destroy AT-AT's, and know how to operate speeder bikes

-Robert

Quote:
Jawas vs. Ewoks?!?!?! That's a tough question. You make a compelling argument for each side. I would add that Jawas have less-than-noble moral fiber, and that good is dumb, so the Jawas have an edge. However, the
Ewoks have the natural cuteness factor on their side which means even if a couple of them die in combat, 99% of them will survive; whereas Jawas are frequently slaughtered in large numbers by stormtroopers posing as tusken
raiders. Hmmmm......... Let me float in the bacta tank and think on this for a while.........

After much thought, I think the Ewoks would win. Let's see a Jawa throw stones at heavily-armored stormtroopers and knock them out!

-Jason

Quote:
This is a fascinating topic.

However I think you are both postulating the scenario wrong. I don't think the Ewoks and Jawas will ever do battle in the first place unless it was a class war. How would a class war begin between Ewoks and Jawas? Well, let's see.
Given Ewok's tribal organization with a chief I assume they have a stratified redistribution economic system. Jawas on the other hand, given their bargaining and trade skills when it comes to Luke and his parents, operate socially under a capitalist economic system. When the Ewoks and Jawas meet, the Jawas will apply their aggressive, growth and profit oriented system to the Ewoks' more egalitarian system, much to the Ewoks' chagrin.

First, the Jawas will set up incentives to trade for their products (i.e. droids). Droids are useful, they can help hunt, cook, clean the trees, and so on. If the Ewoks do not initially see the benefit of droids, then the Jawas will apply aggressive advertising and marketing campaigns till they do.

Second, the Jawas will only take payment in meat and spears for so long till they demand cash. This demand won't appear until the Ewoks become wholly dependent on droids for their livelihood, like Luke depends on R2 for...just about everything. Once the Ewoks cannot live without their droids they will need cash to get the parts and new droids from the Jawas. Where will they get cash?

From the Jawas of course. The Jawas will begin purchasing the Ewoks' land and tools (i.e. capital in the classic Marx sense) in exchange for cash, which the Ewoks will use to buy more droids. Once the Jawas have control of the Ewoks' means of production (land and tools) the Ewoks will have no other recourse except to work for the Jawas in the form of wage labor for cash. This cash will buy droids and their parts as well as food and the necessities of life given that the Jawas now own all the land. This way, the Ewoks' labor is wholly commodified to the form of wage labor.

Finally, the Jawas will have become the capitalist ownership elite while the Ewoks will be the proletariat working class. This will go on for several decades even perhaps centuries. The Ewoks will not be unionized and will work in deplorable conditions for small wages from the Jawas. One day, a plucky little Ewok will start preaching class solidarity and demand better working conditions and a bigger share of the pie from the Jawas. This Ewok will certainly be extrajudicially murdered by unknown assailants in the middle of the night wearing brown hoods.
But his message will be heard! The Ewoks will achieve class-consciousness and realize that the only way to a better life is through glorious communist revolution! They will rise up with whatever weapons they have against the oppressive Jawa bourgeoisie and institute a glorious class war. Vive le Ewoks! Vive le Revolution!

I'm bored.

-Christian

Troops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6rqAJ3mGc
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Two things: Semi-Related (ewoks) Reply with quote

Eiren wrote:
Does anyone know if anything has been released from WEG or Wizards about Ewok culture and society?

For the gaming systems, no, I don't think anything comprehensive has been published... However, there is a tonne of Ewok information published, as they were a very popular bunch in the early 80s. How much of what was produced is canon and what's not, I'm not certain... but it's out there.

As for the campaign idea, I love it. Really, at the heart of it, the only reason people dislike Ewoks is because they're "cute"; if you ignore that little factoid and look at them like any other species, they're a fairly viable, even interesting species.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the email...that was great.
Expendable Hero
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some movies and cartoons if you can find them. There not set up to be in the star wars universe from what I can see but it shows some of how the Ewoks do things. The movies are Ewok adventure and Ewok battle for Endor. Plus there are 2 seasons of cartoons that where made in the 80s
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly be interested in seeing the assorted Ewok templates you came up with, along with any other notes you had for the campaign you did.

So dig up those notes!
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the movies are Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor, and are apparently part of Canon. The cartoons on the other hand are partially Canon.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewok Adventures and Ewok animated series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: