The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"OPEN FIRE!" - Capital ships, starfighters etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> "OPEN FIRE!" - Capital ships, starfighters etc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: "OPEN FIRE!" - Capital ships, starfighters etc. Reply with quote

Okay. Shocked

I'm thinking of setting up a Privateer-style campaing, where the characters can "pillage, plunder and pilfer their black guts out." Well, at least raid Imperial shipping lanes and swashbuckle through daring adventures with their buccaneer crew.

They start out with freighter-size ships, but like in the pirate movies, the cool stuff comes out when the big boats- ships- start blasting the big Jesus outta each other.

So.

My point is:
How would you run a Capital ship VS. Capital ship-engagement? I mean, doing it round-by-round sounds insane: a Nebulon-B has 12 turbolaser batteries and 12 laser cannons!! By the time you're halfway through rolling individual capital ship gunnery checks, you'd be snoring.

And if that's bad, think about it when the characters go up against a Star Destroye!!!
The horror!

And there's another vrelt in the kitchen:
Even if you get past rolling the capital ship gunnery checks, there is the issue of damage.
A Nebulon-B's turbolasers do a measly 4D damage.
Imagine trying to get past a Corellian Corvette's Hull-rating of 4D and Shield-rating of 2D! They'd be slogging each other from here to Judgement Day without a resolution!

Of course, the damage will be greater when the turbolasers make multiple hits with multiple barrages, but I've not encountered any rules that would cover this aspect, either.

Well, enough whining.
How would you solve this conundrum?

So far, I've been thinking that a captain's ship rolls his command or tactics skills to resolve the initiative.

But how would the rest play out?
So, here I am, sheepishly asking for assistance from my colleagues.

"Help me, Rancor Pit Forum. You're my only hope."

P.S

I'd like to raise another point:
How would you resolve a situation, where starfighters attack a capital-scale ship?
The X-wing-books and -comics provide us with several spectacular moments, when a dozen X-wings blow up an Imperial Star Destroyer. How would you translate this into gaming terms? [/i]
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as what to do about massive boats getting into a lightfight, I have no idea. But, I can help you with the issue of starfighters attacking a capital ship. The book Pirates and Privateers has rules for targetting and attacking a specific ship system (engines, shield generators, gun turrets, etc.). You increase the difficulty proportionaly to how much more damage you want to do. I don't remember the exact chart right now, but I'll see if I can find it a bit later.

Given the difference in scale, it should be fairly easy for a starfighters to hit a capital ship system while still doing a reasonable ammount of damage. Take out enough systems and you can eventually cripple the ship. One of your more daring players may want to wait until the shields are down and then fly his starfighter right through the bridge of an ISD. Smile You have to roll up a new character, but the effects are imperssive. Smile
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Arwel Crynyd showed us how effective that tactic was. Very Happy

Hey, did you know, that during the shooting of the scene where the A-wing plows into 'Executor's bridge, they used a burnt-out car and dragged it across the stage on wires, or something? Pretty freaky. Razz

Umm.. yeah, I know about the book. Only since WEG went down, it's been increasingly difficult to find WEG-books (of any sorts!) over here. I mean, Europe has it REALLY bad when it comes to good RPG-stuff, and Scandinavia (more precisely, Finland) is even worse off.

But if you manage to find that chart, I'd truly appreciate it. Smile

Hmmm, well, probably the most simplest way to take down a capital ship with a few starfighters is to fire a concentrated volley of proton torpeodoes.
But how would it work in game terms... hmmm....?

(goes off-screen for a while, returns with a pile of paper)

Okay, with just a few minutes of fudging, I came up with this:
"It's a combined action. A flight or squadron leader coordinates the whole thing with a command roll.
Since there are twelve members in a standard squadron, if the squadron leader is successful in his command check, his proton torpedoes do 15D starfighter-scale damage [9D standard damage with a +2D damage for fire-linking his proton torpedoes, with +4D for the whole squadron.]

Since a Star Destroyer has a Hull-rating of 7D, with 3D worth of shields plus a 6D bonus because of it's capital-scale, it gets to roll a 16D."

What do you think? Check the math. I'm not good at math, but it seems pretty good, since it means that the starfighters have to have coordination, strength in numbers as well as surprise to make it work.
I mean, if that Star Destroyer has it's shields evenly placed, the starfighters have a better chance of hurting it, right?

P.S
As far as the 'big boat blast-out', I'm still waiting for suggestions! Wink

P.P.S
Man, why do my post always wind up this long? Embarassed
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a cap ship like a Nebulon-B, unless each individual battery in a particular fire arc is aiming at a different spot on the target ship, why not just add up the total number of fire control dice required for each battery and roll them together instead of seperately. Of course if you're talking firing the turbolasers in, say, the left fire arc of a Nebulon-B, you're talking three turbolaser batteries at 3D fire control each for a total of 9D, which should make hitting a lot easier. So maybe you assign a gunnery observer you targets all the batteries in a particular fire arc or a certain number of batteries in that fire arc and have them roll the fire control for when all batteries under their command are firing at the same area on the opposing cap ship.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace_Terrik wrote:
But if you manage to find that chart, I'd truly appreciate it. Smile

If you still need this, let me know.

Quote:
Okay, with just a few minutes of fudging, I came up with this:
"It's a combined action. A flight or squadron leader coordinates the whole thing with a command roll.

After looking over the stats for a Star Destroyer, I came up with the same conclusion: It's a Command roll resulting in a combined action.

The way it works is:
  • Captain says "Concentrate aft turbolaser batteries at that corvette!" (Command check to coordinate Gunnery Sergeants)
  • Gunnery sergeants turn to their turbolaser gunnery crews and relay the order, "Turbolaser batteries Alpha-13 through Epsilon-23, target the corellian corvette moving through sector G!" (Command check to coordinate gunnery crew fire)
  • Gunnery crews concentrate fire on the corvette as a combined action.

Now, that's the way it works in "real life"... problem is, you don't want to roll for all those filter-down command checks through the chain of command when you're running a fierce space battle. So what I do is simply figure out what the average command dice code is between all the officers down to the gunnery crews and list it with the "Crew Skill:" section of my ship stats. When I want to fire huge amounts of turrets, I roll that average command value and use that to coordinate all attacks into one combined action / roll.

This actually makes capital ship command crew valuable in the heat of battle while keeping the number crunching and dice rolling to a bare minimum.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Idea.. Reply with quote

If you program in C++ or java you could write a program that will roll all those rolls for you!
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea.. Reply with quote

worfbacca wrote:
If you program in C++ or java you could write a program that will roll all those rolls for you!

Heh, if I could program I'd do a LOT of programming for my Ipaq pocketPC, including a Star Wars D6 character sheet (though I can put that in Pocket Excel), Star Wars D6 ship sheet (same), dice roller, and put in all those "ship damage" tables so I can click on them for results as well.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Feyladil
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget those fire arcs. For example a Star Destroyer can never use all of its weapons because 1/3 goes to the front, 1/3 to the left and 1/3 to the right.

In addition Imperial Officers tend to be arrogant and overconfident: "Well, it's only a Corellian Corvette. Turbolasers 9-12 open fire. I think this will be more than enough to show that rebel scum that they'd better surrender...."

This way you can scale that type of battle a bit down without beeing unrealistic. Smile

Cheers
Feyladil
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, well, I forgot to mention that. Of course I'm paying attention to the fire arcs! Smile
Who do you think you're talkin' to! Rolling Eyes

And secondly, why involve officers and NPC's. If the character is the captain of the ship, he/she should roll his/her command skill as noted above.

Maybe I wasn't just expressing myself clearly enough... that happens a lot sometimes.

And yes, I'd still like to have that chart, if you wanna share.
john brewer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "OPEN FIRE!" - Capital ships, starfighters etc Reply with quote

Jace_Terrik wrote:

How would you resolve a situation, where starfighters attack a capital-scale ship?
The X-wing-books and -comics provide us with several spectacular moments, when a dozen X-wings blow up an Imperial Star Destroyer. How would you translate this into gaming terms? [/i]

Heh. A while back I did both of those just to see what would happen. One ISD vs an MC-80, and a starfighter vs ISD battle.

The MC-80 held its own for a little while against the ISD at range, but the ISD, having more batteries, won the statistical battle and was able to best the Mon Calamari ship. And yes, it took FOREVER.

One of my pc's backstories involves a wing of Z-95's attacking an ISD. Twenty-four of the Z-95's were planetary patrol craft armed with f-9 ion cannons. Although many of the Headhunters were lost (I forgot to mention that they were flying through a swarm of TIE IN's), enough hits (2) actually rolled high enough to shut the ship down leaving it wide open for a barrage of Concussion Missiles out of the remainder of the wing (more hits than the Maneuverability=dead ship). I figured they'd only be able to disable it, so when it blew up after a couple dozen hits I was quite surprised. And yes, I applied the Scale modifier of +/- 6 dice, to the ion cannons and the missiles. That simulation also took forever. But it showed me that a bunch of suicidal pilots can take out a capital ship.

Like the calendar says, "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

John

PS-our group always plays with the understanding that combat shields are effective against missiles as well as ray weapons.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just proof that "Trench Run Syndrome" does exist and is a major reason for Capital Ship Captains to worry and demand Lancer Frigate support.

And that was with outdated Headhunters. Imagine Modern B-Wings, X-Wings and Y-Wings, with A-Wing support for eating up Tie Fighters!
john brewer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Just proof that "Trench Run Syndrome" does exist and is a major reason for Capital Ship Captains to worry and demand Lancer Frigate support.

Well, think about it from a real-world perspective. I'm sure you've all seen the gun camera footage of a Japanese carrier being destroyed by American fighters during WWII. One lucky bullet into the ammo storage or into a high pressure boiler and that's it. It should show you that, in battle, one is never perfectly safe no matter what they may happen to be in.

And when I simulated that battle for my daughter's character I didn't use the Z-95 ML variant...just plain ol' Headhunters (other than the ion cannons in the patrol ships [that took the place of the concussion missiles]).

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: