The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reasons not to fly a Z-95 Headhunter... (Long)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Reasons not to fly a Z-95 Headhunter... (Long)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reasons not to fly a Z-95 Headhunter... (Long) Reply with quote

Well, my GM started his new Campaign last night... I won't go into the full details, but what happened was that we were Imperials doing final training in Z-95 Headhunters with Training Lasers, and Concussion Missile Training on Asteroids.

Well, time to start up the Fighters. And I got a Critical Failure. As this is the first roll of the Campaign for me, it does not bode well.

GM Rules that the Fusion Generator and Ion Engines start to MELT DOWN. So, I got out, the Flight Crews started to perform prevention measures, while I jump into another one.

OK, time to kick this baby up... Critical Fail. Blew part of the power couplings, -2 to Space. I'm now at 2/3 Speed.

Then, we do the Flight Test in the Asteroid Belt. I do OK, aside from going 2/3rds the speed of everyone else, until, you guessed it, Critical Fail. Lateral Thrusters BLOW. No manouverability.

At this point, I'm flying a very, very small YT-1300. Stats wise, at least.

Then, it's time for Missile Practice. I hit my target, but, yep, Critical Failure. Can now only fire once every four rounds.

Finally, it's time for Head-To-Head Combat with another PC. We fly around, trying to shoot each other... The Critical Failures were getting old at that point... Targeting Compute for the Targeting Lasers just went *PIFF*.

So, I hold my own despite the inferior quality of my ship, but then two Moderate Critical Failures in a row (To the non-existant Lateral Thrusters), cause a Fire in the Cockpit.

It is at that point where I officially request the name of the tech that maintained my craft. The other PC offered to hold him down behind a back alley while I adjusted his "Lateral Thrusters" and "Targeting Computer" with a large adjustable Hydrospanner over and over and over again.

I call an emergency, and then vent the atmosphere in the cockpit to put the fire out, and bring the fighter into the Bay. As I'm approaching, I see my first fighter being tossed out by the landing bay tractor beam... Radiation readings from it just going up and up and up.

So, I try to land...

For those of you paying attention, you could guess how my luck went with that one. Another fire, and the landing gear won't come down (I had made the mistake of informing my group about that particular problem with the CF-100. However, the solution to that problem didn't work with the Headhunter.).

So, I belly land. Slap down the switches, push up the Cockpit, and jump out of the Figher with one leg on fire. Put out very quickly.

It was at that point that the Rebel Assault Frigate jumped into the system, pinging off my first Fighter, and going full bore at the Imperial Vessel (A Victory Star Destroyer).

They collided.

So, after getting the command to "Abandon Ship", I get into Fighter #3. My Flight Card, however, was in the pants that caught on fire... And it's melted ("Ever See Trains, Planes, and Automobiles? It looks like the Diner's Club Card from it.").

This one flys PERFECTLY...

Until we get to the only planet in the system, and it gets shot. Where I critically failed the Hull Roll. So, in addition to the damage, the engines start shaking greatly, reducing the Hull by 3D.

So, now I'm in something weaker than a Tie Fighter...

Finally, I land. Shut the ship down. And, for once, I'm not on fire.

If I get any other chance, I'm going to fly something other than a Headhunter from now on... Mk. 1 TIE Fighter, fine. Cloakshape Fighter, Cool. A Washing Machine with an Ion Engine strapped on it, Done.

The moral of this story is... HEADHUNTERS BAD!!!

On the plus side, despite my group making fun of me, I held my own in an inferior craft! And I'm proud of that!!!
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Ray, I think your GM has it in for you...don't you think so ? 8)

Nevermind hitting the technician with the hydrospanner, do it to the GM 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its time to get a new set of dice.
And did you roll on the books? I tend to find that that helps for some strange reason.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys I used to play Star Wars with user to roll on a "lucky" mouse pad, and his charactors used to get out of all kinds of messes. Also you are using your own dice, right?

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GM isn't out to get me. All rolls done for "Critical Failures" are done by us, and the GM is reading tables that we're allowed to look at (Just not ingame.). I have a fairly decent trick memory (That will occasionally proform tricks for me as well!), and he was being a good little GM, trying to kill us in standard ways.

My dice were usually lucky enough for my GM to curse at me... But... Maybe you're right. Oh, and rolling on the books is bad for the covers (Yes, even the Hardcovers), and, as the books are OOP, that would be bad (I also don't own the books).

I roll on my Character Sheet. In fact, any rolls that go *OFF* the character sheet are no good. I've lost 6s with it, and turned 1s to 6s, so noone argues about it. Part-on/Part-Off counts as "On" the paper.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have had the bad karma, in relation to the good karma that one of my players seems to have when rolling.....but then again he cheats, and we all catch him and make fun of him. Sometimes I feel bad, but he has improved with out cheating....so maybe your dice will have better luck. But just in case, go buy some new dice!
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need some more mojo for your dice.

You know what works? Yahtzee dice! Seriously. They want to roll well. Now, it's true that when they roll ones they pretty much all roll ones, but hey, they get a lot of sixes too!

Bad luck man! Wink
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addition that I forgot.

After getting away from the Imperials, we got our hands on a Light Freighter (A Kazellus), when we jump towards the CSA space.

We're "Stopped" by an Espo capital ship as soon as we revert back to Realspace. Stopped with Missiles.

Another Hull Mishap happened, IIRC, and the weapons system blew up, opening it up to space.

Guess where I was.

Just got out in time.

Not only will my character need *ALOT* of convincing to ever fly a Headhunter again, but he's also well on his way of having a fear of Space Travel!

Ironic seeing as he was engeneered to be the Penultimate Fighter Pilot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: