The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

starting a new campaign...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> starting a new campaign...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KierlanVass
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: starting a new campaign... Reply with quote

I am starting a new campaign shortly. My question for the board is what makes a campaign successful vs things to watch out for?

I am planning on modifying the elrood sector and tatooine manhunt adventures to fit around an imperial invasion of Coyn. Certain events in the Elrood introduction will start the process of imperial invasion. The Coynite government will send an ambassador to the rebellion, who will then be tasked with returning the guy from the Tatooine Manhunt to safety. After that the players will be tasked with liberating Coyn.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to integrate your characters' Story Factors into the campaign at one point or another. It would be like letting the players have a hand in shaping the campaign.

For example if one PC is looking for a long lost brother, let the PC have a chance to meet him during the campaign after some struggle.
Ash Draven
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to make it a bunch of tasks for the characters to do. You can have those, but have a story that acts as an "Umbrella" over the individual game sessions. You want something that will effect the characters for many sessions and something that ties it all together.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of campaign are you running?
KierlanVass
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a solo character campaign that I am going to run for a friend. It will center around Coyn and the liberation thereof from the Empire. The idea will be that our unlikely hero has to get help from an outside source (maybe the rebellion) who subsequently ask the hero to recover the bloke from Tatooine manhunt. It then becomes a race against time and the empire to recover said bloke and liberate Coyn.

Lots of ground and space action with some force sensitive twists along the way.

EDIT:
I realise I didn't really answer the question. It will be a mix of intrigue, action and investigation, followed closely by some space chasing and a military campaign to finish things off.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want to be careful with clues and hints, players never put things together like you did when you designed the adventure. be ready to hold their hand in that section of the game. also if there is only one player they may get frustrated with some situations where they would have more heads. if you have a first time player try to add a bit of their background into the adventure.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, have a lot of different NPCs in different roles for the player to interact with. When I mean roles, I mean this one's the Unrepentant Evil Brute (him you just kick in the butt), the next one's the Old Guy Trying To Help But Is Keeping a Secret, then there's the Helpful Guy Who's Actually a Traitor and finally the Friend Who Sticks With Him But Might Die If the PC Has To Complete His Work!

50% of the fun for characters is interacting with other characters. If there's no other PCs, you can amp up the NPCs for the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: