The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Death Star
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Death Star
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McKinley
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: The Death Star Reply with quote

I've been reading the Death Star Technical Manual, and I'd like to run a campaign there. but trying to keep with SW continuity makes it a challenge.

Has anyone run a game with the Death Star? care to share your ideas or suggestions?

Cheers.
KierlanVass
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my mind there are two ways of going about it (but of course my humble opinion)...

1. If sticking to the timeline is important then make the lead characters responsible for another part of the Death Star's destruction. That way the 'Star can still go and destroy Alderaan before heading off to Yavin and Luke can still be the one to pull the trigger.....

or

2. Rewrite history.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow or other the PCs find themselves at Despayre and manage to be captured, incarcerated in the Death Star and escape before they're executed.

Then the adventure continues.

Man, running a vehicle chase scene in the Death Star's deepdocks would totally rock.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a group that ran an adventure with the first DS.

Basically... we were advanced recon, and had to "paint the target" - i.e. point a laser at the exhaust ports for some hotshot pilot to take the glory for destroying the damned thing, while we got nothing...

Wink
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always have them be the ones who stole the Death Star plans and sent them to Leia. Officially there are about two dozen characters responsible for that action, so one more group will hardly hurt continuity...
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to have a covert mission, setup by someone like General Madine, where the PCs are planted on the Death Star (this could be 1 or 2 adventures in itself) and they are instructed to start causing mayhem and destruction during the battle to keep the Imperials from organizing a coordinated defence or some other some such... This could work especially well if the PCs are a group of ex-Storm Commandos that wanted to defect along with Madine.
Perhaps they were originally tasked with epionage of a more covert nature because the Rebels didn't know that Yavin 4 would be attacked. That way instead of the very covert sabotage with explosives set to go off a day after they were planted and the PCs had time to escape they would start the sabotage as soon as they realized the DS was going to attack the Rebel base.

Remember, as long as it doesn't disagree with canon then you're golden.
McKinley
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some great ideas there. thanks guys. if you have any more, please let me know!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truegrit.. i like both of those suggestions, though i thought madine defected AFTER yavin. And also the storm commando's did not come out till later as well..
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically you are correct, Madine didn't complete his defection until almost 2 years ABY. However, he did try to defect before that. From the Wookiepedia:
Quote:
He [Madine] attempted to defect to the Alliance prior to the Battle of Yavin, and, to prove his loyalty, Madine provided essential guidance for the sabotage of Operation Strike Fear and the destruction of the Star Destroyer Invincible.

Perhaps he knows the PCs would like to defect as well and therefore comes up with this plan to help them do it.

Also, I'm not exactly sure of the date the Storm Commandos first made their appearance. Even if it wasn't until shortly after Yavin it could make sense that the units were in training/buildup for at least a year before their first appearance. The PCs playing as defecting Storm Commandos actually makes more sense for this angle as commandos I'm certain are subjected to massive amounts of indoctrination and loyalty training and few, if any, would ever defect. If their training/indoctrination wasn't complete then there's still a decently plausible explanation for defection.

edit: typos
Lor-Pbk
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Ideas I would like to throw out there for ya...

Besides running a campaign "pre" the Deathstar's destruction, why not have it "post". I have been involved in a campaign that that took place within the DS's debris field after its destruction.

In this campaign it was revealed to the players that although the DS had been blown up, there were still chunks of it still intact. Yeah these "chunks" were floating freely in the debris field. but many of of them were quite large. Large enough to still have their emergency life support and power systems intact.

In our campaign we were sent to scavenge some turbo lazers from one of these large sections of the DS. The section was large enough to still have a small hanger to land in and plenty of hallways to float through. We also discovered that the Imperials did not want riff raff like us scavenging through this debris and they had erected a mobile space garison in the debis field to gaurd the area. ( Of course we didn't find this out until our group was split up exploring the rooms of the " DS Chunk". Confused )

Anyway, like mentioned in other posts in this thread, our GM used the DS technical Journal's modular designs for room layouts. It was a cool campaign. And lead our group to repeatedly return "Scavenging goodness". Just for fun during one mission we were able to find a "chunk" that must have been dedicated to VIP housing. And one of the younger members of our group (who had a nack for wandering off by herself .) found a chamber with an unusually hard security lock. after getting in through the wall with a lazer cutter, she came away with some nice treasures, an antique blue bladed Lightsabre, that still worked! and a swanky long black cloak with a silver chain clasp. She had to have the cloak hemmed. But the light sabre lead her on the path of the force. the players never did find out who the original owners of these items were. Very Happy
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're describing the 'Scavenger Hunt' adventure by WEG. A cool adventure to run to involve the PC with the Death Star remains. And Squibs are always fun to deal with. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: