The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Planetary Gravity Well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Planetary Gravity Well Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are excellent ideas. I think it may be a subject that is worthy of varying approaches, as fit the circumstance.

In my campaign there is the potential for significant tactical planning, as the characters are in charge of a large privateer crew. That's why I'm interested in developing a reasonably concrete way to deal with the issue. For what it's worth, copied below is the house rule I made for my group. I tossed in a bit about the hyperdrive inhibitor as well.

Gravity Wells & Hyperspace Travel

Jumping to Hyperspace

In order to jump to hyperspace, a ship must pass beyond the effective reach of the gravity well of a planet or other massive nearby object in space. This is not accomplished simply by getting out of the atmosphere (if there is one). Instead, a ship must get out of the mass shadow, which extends well beyond that. That escape range is a number of space units beyond the upper atmosphere. The required distance to escape the planet is shown on the chart below:

Planet/Object Size -Escape Range

Standard – Gravity Normal/Near Normal - 75

Very Low Mass/Gravity - 25
Low Mass/Gravity - 50
High Mass/Gravity - 100
Very High (gas giant) - 150
Massive (star) -500

Emergence from Hyperspace

When a ship emerges from hyperspace, it is typical to arrive well outside the escape range. That distance is typically determined when plotting the course. When a ship emerges from hyperspace due to the action of the hyperdrive inhibitor, it typically arrives in subspace just beyond the edge of the escape range of whatever object obstructed the path.

If that distance is considered important, it may be determined by rolling as specified on the chart below. The result is the distance from the body in space units. The facing and relative position should be based on the route and common sense.

Planet/Object Size Distance from Object

Standard – Gravity Normal/Near Normal Escape Range +6D

Very Low Mass/Gravity Escape Range +2D
Low Mass/Gravity Escape Range +4D
High Mass/Gravity Escape Range +8D
Very High (gas giant) Escape Range +10D
Massive (star) Escape Range +12D
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yak Face wrote:
Emergence from Hyperspace

When a ship emerges from hyperspace, it is typical to arrive well outside the escape range. That distance is typically determined when plotting the course. When a ship emerges from hyperspace due to the action of the hyperdrive inhibitor, it typically arrives in subspace just beyond the edge of the escape range of whatever object obstructed the path.

If that distance is considered important, it may be determined by rolling as specified on the chart below. The result is the distance from the body in space units. The facing and relative position should be based on the route and common sense.

Very good house ruling. Covers most all bases and is quick/simple. The info I quoted above (emphasis mine) is perhaps a typo? It states that the "result is the distance from the body in space units" - but should it instead read that it is the distance from the gravity well? The way I understand it the nav computer and hyperdrive detect gravity wells in your path and drop you out of hyperspace before reaching them - and that if you wait for the computer to have to do it then there are often serious (sometimes fatal) consequences.
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean - my wording of that section was not optimal. What I tried to do was capture that concept by adding the dice roll to the "escape range," which I use as a term to decribe the furthest extent of the gravity well.

A better way would have been this:

Planet/Object Size Distance from Object

Standard – Gravity Normal/Near Normal 75+6D

Very Low Mass/Gravity 25+2D
Low Mass/Gravity 50+4D
High Mass/Gravity 100+8D
Very High (gas giant) 150+10D
Massive (star) 500+12D

I think that's how I'll re-word it in my house doc.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: