The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Decompression Injuries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Decompression Injuries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Decompression Injuries Reply with quote

Does anyone have a set of rules cooked up for the effects of explosive decompression on a body? I've read some pretty interesting descriptions of the likely effects in various sci-fi books, and the movie Event Horizon had an interesting take on it. I have a feeling I'll need to be ready for that eventuality in the next adventure or two... Clearly the effects will worsen very rapidly as the person is exposed to vacuum. I figured I could research it myself and home brew some rules, but exploiting the efforts of Pit denizens seems to much easier... Very Happy Thanks!
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have homebrew rules...

But, the science side of it says that it would take about 3-5 minutes for a person to die in the vacuum of space... Even if rescued before then... I'm thinking MASSIVE penalties to do anything more than just "be".

As for Event Horizon... great movie ... not QUITE sure I liked the ending... bue awesome, none the less..
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's called explosive decompression for a reason.

Off the top of my head I'd do 1D cumulative damage every round or so.

After one round they take 1D damage
After 7 rounds exposed to the vacuum they're taking 7D damage etc...

This is assuming I haven't mixed up rounds and turns. I usually do.

Also assuming the player in question isn't a Givin.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go that route, but i start it at 3d damage for the first 3 rounds, then go up 1d a round thereafter.
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't resist looking for articles. Some rather interesting real-life data can be found here:

http://www.sff.net/people/Geoffrey.Landis/vacuum.html

Looks like you can only stay conscious for 1 - 2 rounds. At first, exposure has little effect (30 seconds, 5 or 6 rounds), but it compounds rapidly. 90 seconds (15 rounds or so) = death.

Partial exposure is bad, but not fatal - the affected body part (assuming it's not your head/torso) should resume function once pressure is restored so long as it's within a reasonable amount of time. Howver, it will become painful and useless in the mean time.

After reading that stuff one thing is sure - I REALLY don't want to experience it.
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I can get a critique from anyone interested. I propose the following rule for decompression injuries:

FULL EXPOSURE TO VACUUM

End of 1st full round of exposure - must pass Moderate Stamina Roll, or fall unconscious

End of 2nd round of exposure and each afterward - must pass V. Difficult Stamina Roll, or fall unconscious

Round 7: Start taking damage at 1D at the end of the round. Take damage each round, adding 1D for each round that passes. (round 7 = 2D, 8 = 3D, etc.)

EXPOSURE OF LIMBS/APPENDAGES TO VACUUM

At the end of the 3rd round, the limb starts to take stun damage at 1D (versus the character's normal strength). The stun effects apply only to those actions that require that limb to perform them. At the end of each additional round after exposure, add 1D to the stun damage inflicted until the limb is "unconscious" and can not be used.

Long term exposure would lead to maiming at GM discretion.

If the body part is restored to normal pressure before maiming, the stun effects wear off over the course of an hour.
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks alright. With the above material in mind I would probably create some sort of 'recovery' period required before normal functioning can be resumed once a character is returned to atmosphere.
i.e. - if you were in vacuum for 3 rounds, once you had returned to a regular atmosphere you would be effectively incapacitated (in terms of being able to move around or execute an action) for 6 or 9 rounds (2 or 3 times the exposure time).
Also I would put a hard limit of 3 or 4 rounds in vacuum before being rendered unconscious. Exceptions could exist for maybe something like Jedi Hibernation, etc.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see making it:

Round 1 of exposure, difficult stamina roll to avoid going out.
Round 2: V.diff
Round 3: Heroic
Round 4: Heroic+10...
And the damage starting at round 3 at 3d and going up from there..
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent ideas - they make good sense. A recovery period is only reasonable, and the ever-escalating Stamina check insures that the character with freakish 8D stamina can't just swim around in space forever. Thanks very much for the feedback!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Yak... feel free to use any of this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: