The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Players bad choice.. take back??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Players bad choice.. take back?? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah at the very least he would prove he knows a few maneuvers by listing lazily to the left!
K21DUBIE
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing that sucks about that is that the other players would suffer from one players bad choice, the only thing I would do is allow all the players to make a survival roll to see who makes it to the life boat and who does not, the difficulties based on the characters location to the ship, and of course the pilot would have the highest difficulty. Do to his faith in the game mechanics I would allow the dice to truly decicde his fate. Difficulty being above a +30. Let him feel the pain then. He should have listened to everyone else. But I feel the whole party should not suffer for his stupidity. Hell being a really hard core based on his attitude I might not even let him roll survival skill, and let him suck space Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with that, is to even have a chance to make it to the lifeboat/pods, you need time. A ship destroyed result is instantaneous, and does not offer any. Now if it was the ship destroyed (6) result from being severly damaged, then it does give a D6 rounds of time for that to happen..
TrueGrit
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Garhkal - maybe killing the other PCs is a bit much.

What about a massive disabling result instead of the ship being blown to tiny bits? If they all end up damaged, lose their loot, ship impounded, captured by Imperials, etc. then when they are all sitting in the cell together afterwards I think the pilot will get the point. Much more effective, IMO, then potentially killing the lot of them - if you did that, you would end up being the jerk, not the pilot.
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I always allow a survival roll for anyone who can at least move under his own power. I feel that it is valid to maintain the cinematic aspect of the story - and in the movies the primary good guys always have a brief moment to punch out. If I get an immediate "ship destroyed" result I simply assert that the ship is totally nonfunctional and breaking up - the PCs attempt escape as it spirals out of control and gets ready to blow. Usually I stick to the Moderate difficulty - but I fully agree with changing that difficulty to match circumstances. In this case 30 is probably OK for the pilot, since he'll be trying to fight his way past angry PC's fighting tooth and nail to keep him out of the escape pod...
Trask
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pilot is flying straight and level at a turbolaser then you have a few seconds to react to the fact that your pilot has gone loco and is going to get you killed.

It's like dodging bullets. You anticipate something too fast to dodge and get out of where it's going to be.
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R&E rules allow players to make a dodge roll and then choose to use their roll or the base difficulty. The player had his/her chance. Even if the range difficulty was 30 and he was only rolling 4D, theirs always the wild die.

The players who made the right choice don't deserve to be punished. I like the idea of cinematically breaking up the ship as opposed to it just fire balling its way to oblivion. I'd give everyone a chance to get to escape pods.

Trapping the pilot in the cockpit and giving the over players a chance to rescue him before they escape could be fun too.

Ion canons are a good idea too.

I always hate killing characters because of bad die rolls. Bad decisions are a completely different story. You can't fix stupid.

I try to hide my rolls and get the players to give me their rolls first. That way I always have a chance to not hit them or adjust the amount of damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: