The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Building my Lightsaber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Building my Lightsaber Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should ask him what his band name is... that will add to the cool.

*lets ankhanu tell you all so he can have the fun*

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're thinking of my old band that disbanded about 2 years ago... my current band is This is a Blackout. The name is a Foo Fighter's reference.

But, the old band, Jedi Mind Trick has applied to play a festival this fall, so may be getting back together for it if we're accepted. We were utterly terrible, but it was fun Razz

Still waiting on my parts *sigh*

But I found a length of pipe from an old vacuum cleaner that I'm going to convert into a custom lightsaber design. Since it's not going to be a movie replica, I have some creative freedom in its construction Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, cool. guess im behind in the times Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today had started out pretty craptacularly; I was tired, cranky and generally my mood was as grey as the overcast, rainy sky. Things brightened up a bit when a certain package arrived! Horray, lightsaber parts!

I got to work preparing for the work I had to do; collecting tools together, cleaning things up, taking photos as I went... ya know, the usual. First thing I did was prepare for mounting the D-ring to the bottom. I aligned the ring by eyeballing it versus the ring clamp in the middle of the handle, then scratched the center of the screw holes on the base of the tube. Using a nail, I punched a reference marker for drilling the holes. I needed a 13/64" bit to drill out the holes, but I didn't have anything that large; instead I drilled a smaller hole and experimented with my Dremel bits to find the bit that would let me properly expand the holes. I ended up using a diamond grinding cylinder to slowly expand the holes.

Unfortunately, all the tools I usually have access to are sitting in a car trunk in an airport parking lot, so I didn't have a socket to reach into the tube and affix the D-ring. I've asked my wife to get one on her way home from work.

Next I added the activation button to the ring clamp, then drew out a reference 60deg. template to align the grips on the bottom half of the saber. Marking my mounting points with a sharpie, I then added the grips slowly to make sure they were basically where they needed to be.

With that, the lightsaber is essentially finished. Once the D-ring is attached it will technically be complete, but I do plan an additional step, a little outside of "official replica" specs. I'm going to make a lightsaber focusing crystal/emitter unit to go into the flash bulb holder to keep it steady. As it is, the holder wiggles back and forth, but having something in there will basically keep it in one spot. I'm going to make this, probably, out of the bases of two old lightbulbs, some silicone and one of those decorative glass stones or something. I'll take some shots when that's complete.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say? This looks awesome! I truly envy you, dude. Great work.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude!
I just got a chance to check up on some of the old threads and stumbled on this one. That is absofreakinlutley AWESOME!!!

VERY VERY nice find for you, bro! I can't wait to see the final pics of your lightsaber!

Now I'm gonna have to be on the lookout for one of my own...
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I gotta go with the crowd here on this one. This whole thread is so darn cool that you must be cool by association at least.

How can a sabre wielding bass player not be cool? If you went on tour and did some freelance 'problem solving' on the side you'd probably get your own TV serries.

"Watch, on NBC. The new Series based off of the Star Wars universe. BassSaber! As his band is partying with groupies and drugs, Ankhanu(sorry I don't know your real name) is off fighting away the Sith menace so the rest of us can sleep peacefully at night! Airing Mondays, 6 o'clock PM"

I'd watch it.
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: