The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What's your Star Wars Universe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What's your Star Wars Universe? Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: What's your Star Wars Universe? Reply with quote

The subject has come up on another forum I frequent that there is in fact a Star Wars Multiverse out there.

1) The canon universe that George Lucas has created with the films and other comments he made about it.
2) The EU published material. Books, computer games, rpgs, comics, etc. Some of which has been overridden by #1 above.
3) Each fan's version in their own head.

So, what's #3 for you?

(Here's mine):
Han shot Greedo first. The softening of Han's character from Ep IV to Ep VI is cheapened if he was merely defending himself. He's supposed to be a hard-boiled smuggler and we get to see him get softened from his contact with the Rebellion and Leia.

Midichlorians. They don't exist. 'nuff said.

The Yuuzhan Vong. Whoever decided that these aliens should belong in the Star Wars universe needs to be tarred and feathered. One of an endless list of alien threats to the New Republic. *yawn*

To that end, I pretty much disregard any events after the Thrawn Trilogy in my games. Everything is malleable at that point based on what my characters do in the RPG.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't take the EU all that seriously. I pretty much stick to GL, but before, in between, and after the movies is subject to my insane logic.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in 100% agreement with rerun941.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 for me is the original trilogy, a pick and choose sort of aspect for things out to just before the Yuuzhan Vong debacle. Nothing beyond that I use or acknowledge. I don't use the prequel movies and have come up with my own. I use some of the stuff from the Tales of the Jedi series, but none of the stuff that falls between there and the original trilogy as it's pretty much all focused around the prequels....which I have changed.
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
#3 for me is the original trilogy

Same here. I just pretend that only the original films exist (minus the "Greedo Incident" from the Special Edition, which is really my only gripe with those versions), plus the Thrawn Trilogy stuff if I happen to kick it in the New Republic era.

I'm hoping to get a new game up for some friends and family (one or two experienced gamers and three or four newbies), and after I get them adjusted to the rules, and myself readjusted as well, I think that we might try a tramp freighter campaign.

In fact, I think that such campaigns in the Star Wars universe of old, with little or no contact with any (or at least very, very few) elements from the films are where the game really shines. Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i go beyond the origional or prequal era, i use the thrawn trilogy through to the vong era, all inclusive. Though i do toss out certain parts, such as the Kuellor incident (new rebellion), planet of twilight, children of the jedi (though i loved the concept for the Eye of Palpaltine) and some of the stuff from the Jedi Academy (such as the sun crusher and cardian academy destruction).
AslanC
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the first Star Wars in 1977 is canon for me, not even Episode IV:A New Hope, nope just Star Wars!

I cherry pick everything else, including other sci-fi.

And I realize this isn't for everyone Smile
AWAD
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean there is a SW universe before 1977 and after 1984?

O'yeah those other movies, books, games, TV series. Does the Wookie Holiday or whatever it was called count?

AS for me I consider the Movies as the true core. Anything else I alter as I see fit. And yes Han shot first. And a disease is not the Force.

To be honest though as the Clone Wars series progress the script and depth of characters A and B list is improving. Would love to see him give one more season and then so a new one called New Republic. Not as philosophical, deep, twisted, and soap Opera as the much later stuff but maybe Thrawn and some other goodies you can expand on.

AWAD- Whose little 2 year girl says JeeED-I
shadoes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han shot first Smile

Oh and I can make midi chlorians work.. hey put down that blaster and bear with me.

I borrowed..okay stole a concept from Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger novels. In those novels there are these things call gneechies... can;t see em except out of the corner of your eye, like gnats and such... but they are attracted to wiazardly folk. The more powerful you are the more you attract. I use midichlorians the same way. They do NOT give a force user his powers but they are attracted to force users. And the more powerful you are the more you attract thus midichlorians can still be used as a relative measurement of potential.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Whill Universe is currently composed of all 6 films, the DVD versions, plus things GL has stated about his movies, such as the fact that Boba Fett died in the Sarlaac, never to return.*

*Except that Yoda didn't really look like that poor imitation muppet they made for The Phantom Menace. Since ILM has already replaced that awful muppet with CG, watch for that upgrade to appear on a future release (perhaps blu-ray Star Wars).

A few novels: Path of Destruction, Cloak of Deception, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, Labyrinth of Evil, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, and Shadows of the Empire.*

*Shadows of the Empire requires a few retcons due to the revised Vader-Emperor dialogue in The Empire Strikes Back DVD.

A large portion of the WEG RPG stuff, some of the WotC stuff, and bits and pieces of the other publishing (besides the above novels) over the years.*

*I do not acknowledge any story event continuity that take place after Return of the Jedi. There a few cool things here and there, but I just wiped the slate clean so there could be an era in my game world that doesn't have to adhere to any chronology taking place in the future of the game. So the sky's the limit. I may still use characters, vehicles, ideas, etc. from those stories themselves though. So there could be a version of Grand Admiral Thrawn as a villain, but the Thrawn Trilogy doesn't have to take place like it did in those books or at all.

This freedom of the post-film time period is a counterbalance my strict adherance to film continuity during the time of the films. Despite all the possible eras and even my acceptance of the prequels, I am only interested in running games that take place in the few years before, during or after the classic trilogy. Basically, the time of the Galactic Empire.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONLY the Ewok cartoons for me.

What? Razz
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Laughing
AslanC
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee hee! Wish I had thought of that one first Wink

I call dibs on a Droids only canon campaign Wink
shadoes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo that leaves me to revise mine to a Christmas special only. Life day anyone? Razz Shocked
AslanC
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"steppin’ softly in a danger zone
no weapons in my hand
it’s just this brain, designed by man
it’s got me in trouble again
in trouble again
I put my life in jeopardy
in the service of my friends
I wouldn’t care but it’s a dangerous affair
‘cause I’m in trouble again, trouble again
in trouble, in trouble, in trouble"

Much better than your lifeday song Razz

Okay enough thread-jacking. I am curious as to what other campaigns folks are running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: