The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My Cardinal Rule of Roleplay: What is yours?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> My Cardinal Rule of Roleplay: What is yours? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay true to the Star Wars universe.

Have fun.
l0mathon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun and make sure the rules/dice don't get in the way of the story ... and to have plenty of snacks on hand!
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinal Rules:

1. I don't care if you think that's what your character would do, if you're being a dick and purposely sabotaging other characters' actions, I tear up your character sheet and kick you out of the house.

2. If you're being a dick to other players in meatspace, I tear up your character sheet and kick you out of the house.

3. If you need to update your character sheet, please do it either at the end of a session if you need me to help you, or at home. Email me the changes. If you show up with a non updated character sheet, or you forgot your sheet and didn't email me a copy of the updates, you play with what you have.

3 is the only one I've had to enforce, luckily I haven't had to enforce 1 or 2 yet.
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer depends a lot on where you set the line of "too obvious to mention," which will vary from player to player, and with growing sophistication. The rules I currently keep in the forefront of my mind:

For GMs, give the players what they want.
This is not the same as giving the PCs what they want, nor is it even giving the players what they want round by round. But entertaining the players takes priority over both the rules and the GM's grand vision.

For players, embrace the genre.
Play something that will work in the setting. This may mean putting your favorite concept on the shelf for a while. Characters which interest you, and could be a terrific part of some other story, can nonetheless be toxic in the story at hand.

These rules may seem to run at cross-purposes. What if players want to play characters that violate the genre? Always, always talk the campaign concept over and get buy-in first. If you can't get buy-in, play something else. But once the players have agreed that a campaign concept sounds fun, and the GM has invested a lot of work in the background, it's time for the players to man up and cooperate. No fair agreeing out loud to a gritty western while privately thinking, "...and then I can see what it feels like to play a ninja/cat-girl/tentacled alien/vampire wannabe/etc. in a gritty western!" Besides, embracing the genre is good manners towards your fellow players as well as a GM-player issue.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading this thread. You all have put up a lot of great stuff in the thread, so I'm not going to regurgitate everything that everyone else said. Yes, of course, have fun. But I will contribute to the convo on a couple points.

I think fudging is ok and long as it is not very often, and it goes both ways. I've not only fudged to help a player out but fudged against them to help the story. If you are only fudging one way or the other, or a lot, then you need to balance out your adventures better.

I have a rule of don't argue with the GM (or other players for that matter). If a player thinks I have ruled incorrectly on something, I am ok with them speaking up and pointing it out immediately. Sometimes I make mistakes. Not often, but it can happen.

If they don't point it out right when it happens, then they can't bring it up during game play at all. They can bring it up later on a break, after the session is over, or otherwise outside of game play. At that point it may not affect what has happened but may help prevent the mistake in the future.

If a player questions a ruling or thinks I made a mistake and points it out immediately when it happens, I may see what they are saying and say, oh yeah, you're right. That may change what I just said. I'm ok with being corrected immediately. But if I disagree with them, or I'm not sure right at that moment, we don't stop the game for it. Nothing more can be said on the issue during game play and we move on with my initial ruling, making a note to look it up later and take the time we need to figure out who was right, for the sake of next time.

It is really annoying for people to argue with me about rules or morality issues like if a PC really deserves a DSP or not. I'm happy to say this really hasn't happened since 1990 because all the players know my standards up front.

Another big one for me is that I expect players to play their characters according to their character concept and personality on the character sheet. If you don't want to play a Jedi correctly, then don't pick a Jedi.

And players should remember that failure is ok. They shouldn't expect to suceed at everything they try and get disappointed they fail a roll. If the PCs always succeed at everything they do, then where is the drama of the story? Han Solo stepped on a trig and failed to sneak up on the scout trooper, and what an exciting turn of events it caused. Things often have to get worse before they start to get better. It's called complications, rising action, turning point and climax. And sometimes, an adventure can even end on a down note. Look at Empire and Revenge. The worse the defeat, the sweeter the victory is later. I remind my players that failure is a part of the drama of the story. If it's fun and exciting then the point of the game is working.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
THK
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the rule...When you post a character background and it is approved by a GM, and then, midway through the game's first chapter, the GM has points for playing your character different from what was agreed upon...It can be...very disappointing.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how garhkal always bumps these old threads to kick start new discussions. This thread was linked in a recent thread he bumped, and I thought this one was a good one.

Do yourself a favor and go back and read this thread. What are your cardinal rules or truism about roleplaying?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Cardinality Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
15. Use metagame knowledge when it will make the game more fun, but ...
16. Never use metagame knowledge for the benefit of your own character

I appreciate scott2978's acknowledgement that using metagame knowledge can make the game more fun. By contrast I hear from too many gamers who tremble at the mention of metagame knowledge, assuming it'll either kill immersion or give the players an advantage—or both!

Now, I'm dubious that immersion is a realistic, let alone desirable, goal but we'll leave that to another time. As for worries about player advantage, I suspect lack of trust and cooperation between player and GM may be the real issue.

In my experience, shared metagame knowledge (e.g., a PC's deep, dark secret) is a powerful tool that can increase participation among all players and increase chances that all story elements will play out successfully (since all available heads are collectively working toward those successes).

Here's one of my own cardinal rules: Nothing is canon until spoken at the table (and even then it remains negotiable).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is a pc's deep secret "metaknowledge" though?
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

If the other players know the secret even though their characters don't know.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the biggest rules I try to follow are:

1. The game is about the characters, they are the heroes and the center of the story.
2. Never say "no", say "yes, but ..."
3. Don't assume because you think the answer is easy that it is. You have all the information in front of you.
4. Remember to see things from the player's point of view.
5. Your players have good ideas, listen to them.
6. If things are slowing down or in a rut, speed things up. Give your players a hint or have the minions go down with a single wound.
7. Skip the boring stuff, try to start a scene wherever the action starts, think a movie being shot.
8. Get your players invested in the game. Ask them to describe what they see, smell, taste. Ask them to detail a scene.
9. Never put a player on the spot if you don't have to. If there is a problem, if it does not need to be immediately addressed ignore it and focus on the good players. Speak with the "trouble" player separately after the game.
10. Always ask your players if they had fun, what they thought was great and what you could have done better as a GM.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: That's SO meta Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Whill wrote:
If the other players know the secret even though their characters don't know.

Sorry about the lack of clarity, garhkal.

I realize metaknowledge and its application can appear in many ways (e.g., understanding how game mechanics can tip a scenario one way or another, knowledge of future events in IP universe). One way or another, discussions seem to be much about player knowledge vs. character knowledge.

As Whill suggests, I referred to a secret perhaps held by only one character, but known to all players at the table.

I acknowledge that the possibility of player surprise is sacrificed in this approach. If immersion or "method gaming" is important to you, then that sacrifice is a big deal. Personally, I'm okay with that sacrifice if, instead, all players can knowingly contribute to the escalation and climax of that story thread, and then celebrate shared success.

shootingwomprats wrote:
1. The game is about the characters, they are the heroes and the center of the story

YES. As a gamemaster, I should be Fan Number One—of my players, of their respective characters, of the party as an organism. Take every opportunity to make them look awesome. Drawing PC portraits is one of the ways I cultivate this enthusiasm in myself.

shootingwomprats wrote:
6. If things are slowing down or in a rut, speed things up. Give your players a hint or have the minions go down with a single wound.

Agreed. Also, presenting discrete choices or options is a good way to prevent slow-down due to indecision. I've seen more than a few parties grind to a halt when presented with the open question, "What do you do?"
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that the GM should be 'fan #1' of the pcs.. Too often that seems to always lead to favoritism and fudging to 'save them from themselves'.. just to keep the story going.
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Will they save the universe or destroy it? Reply with quote

I hear you, garhkal. While what you describe could happen (and I agree that it's not desirable), I'm not talking about fudging die rolls.

I'm talking about what—at least for me—is a shift in focus: Remembering who are the heroes of the story and keeping that at the front of my brain, ahead of ship stats, rules for cover, etc. No matter how cool that new alien race or YT freighter variant I invented may be, the universe is there for the player characters to save or to destroy—and I want to be delighted at either outcome.

In practice, this means I spend much time obsessing about the PCs (and their respective players) between sessions. What do I love about them? What do I desperately want to see them accomplish or experience? What do their respective players find particularly amusing?

During a session, I try to make each scene, and each moment within each scene, be worthy of our time and worthy of these awesome characters. If stakes aren't high (in ways meaningful to the players) almost all the time, then I could do better (esp. true in STAR WARS!).

Note that this is MY cardinal rule. To you it may be heresy! Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also often when i hear people say they want the DM to be the pc's biggest fans, that also kind of gets the mentality of 'never let them fail'..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: