The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Parry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsaber Parry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Lightsaber Parry Reply with quote

i'm toying with the idea of adding lightsaber parry to the skills that a jedi must learn.

I think it might be a way to tone the power of the jedi and makes sense.
Every other fighting skill has combat and parry separate, why isthe lightsaber so different.

I wanted to see if anybody had implemented this idea and how it worked out for them. Also any feedback on why this might not work.

I'm sure this has probably come up but didn't see it on the forums
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can work... just don't expect to see many Jedi living very long in the early stages of their careers Smile

While Jedi can become "overpowered" through game play, keep in mind that that power comes at the cost of being extremely "squishy" for the first several months of game play. Anything that you do to curb the power of Jedi at all play levels will make them even more vulnerable and disadvantaged when they start.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a couple of threads about tweaking the Lightsaber combat rules. If I can find a gaming group in my area (upstate NY), I'd like to try having Lightsaber as an advanced skill requiring Melee Combat and Melee Parry at 5D.

Here's the tweak I'd like to see:
You can use a lightsaber with the melee combat skill, but you run the risk of hurting yourself (as per the standard rules) and can add any dice in Lightsaber (A) to your rolls. However, you may not use the Lightsaber Combat force power in conjunction with Melee Combat.

Just like other advanced skills, you use Lightsaber (A) dice only to wield the lightsaber and use special moves (jumping/parrying blaster bolts/etc.) This is the skill you can use in conjunction with the Lightsaber Combat force power.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had one group who used LS and LSP as 2 seperate skills... did not seem to underbalance things.
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always figured Lightsaber is used for both attack and defense rolls is because the skill is specific to one weapon.

Melee covers every other hand-to-hand weapon ever devised, including the improvised ones. I figure if you can't swing a club or sword using the Lightsaber skill, you shouldn't be using Melee to swing a lightsaber.

But that's just me.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not just you FightingCorsair. I figured it exactly the same.
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually compensated by ditching the Brawling Parry and Melee Parry skills entirely.

Let me make you a picture!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got rid of the parry skills.
I've been toying with the custom lightsaber dueling ideas, and then making each of the forms of lightsaber combat advanced skills. At each level of the advanced skill, they get a new maneuver, which may or may not give them an advantage. I've run too many campaigns for Jedi where they cannot touch my NPCs. So allowing for the specialized dueling maneuvers such as a kick which bypasses the enemies lightsaber skill. A Jedi with his lightsaber is one of the most formidable forces in the galaxy outside of a ship. I'm still working on how to balance out the sense bonus to attack and defense. I was thinking that they may have to split the sense between each. Making a character who is concentrating on defense able to defend themselves to the fullest. I'm actually going to be play testing my new lightsaber styles and dueling in my game I'm running this week. I'll let everyone know how they turn out, and whether or not, or how I change them up a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: