The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG SW Revised (3E?) - Core Mechanics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> WEG SW Revised (3E?) - Core Mechanics Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: WEG SW Revised (3E?) - Core Mechanics Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
Here are some ideas I'll toss out there. BTW, I am of the opinion that pretty much all rules are optional other than the primary rule "the point of a game is to have fun." If the fan community put together an unofficial expansion/revision/new edition of the fantastic Star Wars D6 rules, I think the biggest mistake would be a series of changes so drastic that existing splat books and stats wouldn't be valid anymore. Thusly we can't change rules so drastically we would have to change ship ratings, NPC stats, etc.

I have no qualms with others taking these ideas and using them however they want. Some of these ideas aren't even really mine own, but rather concepts inspired by, or directly lifted from other game systems.

• Difficulty numbers aren't so fuzzy. The standard difficulties are now: Very Easy 5, Easy 10, Moderate 15, Difficult 20, Very Difficult 30, Heroic 35, Legendary 45. Rolling a set number of dice to determine a random difficulty slows down the game, and it is frankly entirely too random. It isn't fair to say the a medium range shot is a 13 difficulty one day, and 15 the next, unless circumstances change. So standard difficulties should be a set base number. These numbers can still be modified by other factors.
  • Implement a "Gambit" system, akin to the bidding system in L5R. This makes gameplay far more interesting than always declaring the same boring combat actions over and over again. This system would also help facilitate and cover many other areas I've seen fan rules address. When declaring actions, players may take gambits. A gambit is a more specific action that increases the difficulty. A standard gambit raises the difficulty one level. However, really specific actions may raise the difficulty multiple levels at the GM's discretion. A standard combat gambit may be a called shot which raises the difficulty one level, but also does an additional dice of damage. However gambits can be used for anything you can imagine and the GM will allow. A standard medium range blaster shot is a 15 difficulty. A head shot might be a 20. Trying to shoot the blaster out of a stromtrooper's hands might be a 25. Trying to shoot a comlink out of someone's hands might be a 35.
  • To keep the game cinematic, dynamic and entertaining, a GM may award "stunt" dice. When a player declares an action, the GM may give the player bonus dice for a particularly daring stunt. If the stunt is particularly clever and original, the GM may award 1D. If the stunt is particularly bold and selfless, the GM may award 1D. If the stunt is particularly well timed in a climactic scene, the GM may award 1D. These bonuses do not double with force points. These bonuses are awarded solely at the discretion of a GM, after a player commits to their action. Players can not assume that stunt dice will be awarded. This may seem excessive, but understand that it is difficult to come up with original ideas consistently. This rewards clever and entertaining roleplay. Players should never be awarded stunt dice for actions or maneuvers they have pulled before. There is also a very fine line between bravery and stupidity. Attacking Lord Vader with a stick of tofu is not particularly clever or dramatic. Trying to draw the fire (and hopefully dodge the fire) of an E-Web turret so others can safely escape might be seen as a bold and selfless move that grants the player a stunt die. Again, this is completely at the discretion of a GM who may never award any stunt dice. This idea is inspired by White Wolf's fantastic Exalted game.
  • Dice rolled from spending character points can not trigger complications from rolling a 1, however if you roll a 1 on a character point die, then you may not spend further character points. If you still have not hit the difficulty number, then you have failed in that roll. This rule will have players screaming "No Whammys!" before each character point roll.
  • Lightsaber dueling is now an advanced skill with a prerequisite of 5D in Lightsaber. Martial Arts is now an advanced skill with a prerequisite of 5D in Brawling. Specific forms of dueling (lightsaber forms) or martial arts may be taken as separate advanced skills. Thusly you could have an advanced skill in Lightsaber Form V, and a different skill in Form VI. You can also have a skill in Martial Arts - Echani and Martial Arts - Teras Kasi. Each die in of these advanced skills provides the player with a specific gambit or maneuver that they can use without raising their difficulty. Thusly, if they learn "Trip" via Teras Kasi, they may use that move with a standard Brawl attack without raising the difficulty via gambits. Someone untrained in martial arts may attempt a trip manuever, but they must utilize gambits and raise their difficulty.
  • Rolling a 1 on the wild die always incurs the standard penalty listed in the core rules (drop the 1, and the highest die). Complications are optional and at GM discretion. But if a GM determines there is a complication, it occurs as well as the penalty. This keeps dice rolls fair. A GM can't replace a penalty with a complication to alter the dice result.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

...Missed this at the time:

--Base Target numbers as presented come right out of 1st Edition. Keeps things basic.
--I've played L5R (even ran a game at one point), & as such I'm familiar with the system of "Gambit" ("Raises" as they're known in L5R). I can see 4 raises (a +20 to difficulty number) to trim an opponent's moustache.
--Never played Exalted, but I've played a number of White Wolf systems. For stunts as mentioned, I would go to the Star Wars Rules Companion--Haste actions, Maneuver Actions, Uncertainty Dice, & other optional rules. I once converted a Bastet from Werewolf the Apocalypse into Star Wars, & though it was fun to play, & not hard to convert really, I haven't pursued it since. I feel D6 has plenty enough to reward creative play & heroic action!
--A possibility. I never allow CPs to be spent for extra dice, since it leaves little reason to improve skills if all one has to do is "just burn CPs".
--I also make Martial Arts an advanced skill, & the player must designate which style they're studying. I apply similar ruling to the various Lightsaber styles, not unlike what you've listed.
--Gotta love the Wild Die (there's even more Wild Dice to roll when jury rigging, as shown in the 2nd Ed. Cracken's Field Guide ). Twisted Evil

My 2 Creds worth anyway... 8)
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
cunning_kindred wrote:
... the thing I love about d6 star wars is that the rule system and the game world are perfectly matched. The rules support the feel and themes of star wars.

Absolute truth in that statement right there Wink I've never encountered such a wonderful marriage of rules and setting as WEG's SW.
That said, it is exactly this that makes house ruling and rule revising so damn difficult. It's a major balancing act maintaining the utter simplicity of the d6 system, its fit with the setting and making it work better and cover more instances. Not a small undertaking, and it's a factor that many would be rule makers cannot figure out (not saying I have Wink )

...I couldn't agree more mate! 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: