The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mystery Man
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Mystery Man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JorallEpat
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Mystery Man Reply with quote

I heard you guys talking about how you had a man in a dark cloak, and you had hits at that he might be a jedi, and let the pc guess.
Well I did that (hope you dont mind) and it was the best, they discusted if they wanted to attack or not. It was verry fun, thanks for the idea!
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the unknown will make the players think twice even if there is no real danger. As a player, I used to be careful fof things that were uncertain but sometimes it took way too long as we discussed what to do. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a npc like that dont give him stats, if the players do think you have stats for him they will run away, because if it has stats it can be killed.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadlands from Pinnacle runs with that system...

Really annoys my group...

*PC keeps shooting a burned person in the head and face with a laser, only giving him a haircut, while he barely notices the ray, and keeps on stabbing one of the major NPCs of the Game World* "Ummm... This guy is one of those that doesn't have stats, isn't he?" "Yep." "Oh... Then... He isn't too annoyed that I did that to him?" "Well... Yes, he is annoyed at you about it. Just more pressing matters." *Rolls* "Which just died on him. Now his attention is towards you." Twisted Evil "AHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

"Luckily", they were in an APC and had 40mm Launched HEAT Grenades to take out the Transport said Burned Person was on... But "It was almost a close call". Twisted Evil

I love Deadlands, and can highly suggest it as something to pull out when you need a change from gaming in a "Galaxy Far Far Away" for a bit.

http://www.peginc.com/
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every now and then you'll run across a player with a) a photographic memory b) far too much time on their hands and/or c) one or more of the above with no life. That person may very well know the rules better than you do.

You know the type:

"But, gamemaster, it clearly states on page 57 of the Revised and Expanded rules that "flirt" is an acceptable specialization of persuasion. So, my character has 5D+2 flirt."

Let us not even address the fact that such a person's attempts at flirting would be as successful as Chewbacca's getting a job as a linguistic interpreter at the U.N.

Be that as it may, not having stats on an NPC allows you to monkeywrench the rules-nazi and keep the game going with a minimum of fuss or distraction.

So we (the cunning GM) would respond:

"True, flirt is acceptable. But, do you know it's language? It's species? Even it's gender? Are you willing to risk immediate eviseration or a marriage proposal from something that may have eerily similar plumbing to your own? Okay then, sit down. Actually, go get me some Cheetos or something, would ya?"

Of course, I could be wrong...
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I answer one of those who question my rules.

"As a GM, this is my world and I am God in it. You don't agree... you GM a game, I've been waiting 2 years to play"

Usually he borrows a book and brings it back a week later and keeps quiet for a couple of sessions.

He still hasen't GMed a game to date

8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't ever tell them that the character doesn't have stats. I'll simply tell them no. Your attempt fails.

If they question why I'll usually tell them something like, Hes got skills or abilities that prevent it.

IE flirting with a Dark Jedi generally doesn't curry any favor with him/her.

Or I'll have no problem upping the stats on him in my head and giving them a fairly tough challenge for messing with something like that.

Rarely however, have I ever had to do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: