The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Newbie GM tips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Newbie GM tips Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great tip, don't let a pain of a brother-in-law (actually, I have several explicitives in mind for him, especially after what he pulled on my baby sister) observe a session your hosting. I found out at a Thanksgiving family dinner that one of my cousins wouldn't mind playing an SW adventure, so I purposed that we play a little at Christmas. My sister and her then new husband came home for Christmas and were naturally there for Christmas dinner. After dinner, we sat down to play the adventure and at just about every turn my brother-in-law had to explain to my cousin what I was doing, making it difficult for me to conduct the session.

The guy didn't want to play, just watch. But when it takes five minutes to explain, and distract from the session making it harder to bring attention back to what we're trying to do, it really gets annoying. Especially when it seems like every other scene or round had him explainning what I was trying to do and not explaining the rules. I'll admit the adventure I put together was rather lame and maybe would have taken ten to fifteen minutes to play. But I'd have prefered he'd been quiet.

End the end, I don't have to worry about him anymore as my sister ended up divorcing him thanks to some of the things he was pulling on her. Though I doubt I could ever intrest my cousin in another session again.

Wanted Poster
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
It does not hurt to know your players and their playing styles and to cater to them to a degree, you are playing with them, not at them.

Very true. When people show an interest in my games I ask them questions about what kinds of games they prefer.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that's sometimes true: Players sometimes don't know what they want, but they like it when they play it.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: