The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using Miniatures and using a grid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Using Miniatures and using a grid.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Using Miniatures and using a grid. Reply with quote

Hi guys

I'm a long time D6 Star Wars GM who wants to use miniatures to play out both character & starship combat in my game (having good collections of both available!) and I was hoping to adapt the D6 'measure the distance' system to a 'grid' of some kind.

A 'hex' map works great for movement and shooting but...

How would grenade deviation work, especially tracing the grenades path?

In general practice, (on the average sized game table) a hex or square might need to represent 2 meters or Space Units (instead of 1:1). If so, is there a clean way to calculate odd weapons ranges and movement characteristics?

What about facing in starship combat?
Can you adapt 4 shield arcs to a hex of 6 sides so that it is clear which arc an attacking ship is firing on?

What's a good rule of thumb for the TN or movement cost of rotating a ship on the spot of a hex or grid square?

Whilst these are not all the issues and I could obviously rely on GM's judgment, I'm hoping that with all the gaming groups out there; a few of you have figured out good ways to implement miniatures and/or use them with a hex or square grid map.

Thanks all
Dan Solo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have enough experience in using hex maps to help you with most of your problems (I tend not to use grids in my games), I can say that grenade scatter is dead easy with a hex map: just take a d6, and assign each direction from the hex a number from 1 to 6. Roll the d6, and the number that comes up is the direction the grenade goes!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first piece of advice is to leave the minis alone... I can see it being useful for space combat, but, more often than not, it focuses player's attention on something other than the game. Instead of having a nice role playing session, you get a board game.

If you must...

For grenades, see about getting some little glass counters, they're pretty cheap, and you can buy them at most CCG (Collectible card game) shops. Then, you just mark where the grenade works. Grenade deviation chart is in the main book, so depending on which direction the nade is being thrown, you face the table, roll, and then figure out how much the roll was missed by to find out how short, or overthrown, or whatever.

For shield hexes, I'd just carry a dry erase marker, and mark which arcs the shield is on, then just sort of eyeball it for rough, Or you can mark sides with F,Rr,L,R (Front, Rear, Left, Right)

Hope this helps... please be careful with this...
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I think we are going to try the maps (we are DND players) so will will give it a try every square=2 meters
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Using Miniatures and using a grid. Reply with quote

Tossk wrote:

A 'hex' map works great for movement and shooting but...

How would grenade deviation work, especially tracing the grenades path?

The easiest way would be to do a revised scatter table with each of the surrounding hexes (six) being repfresented by a number on the d6. For example if "1" is "North" (that is directly past the target hex) you could go around the hex in a closwise fashion.

For scatter just roll the dice and deviate that many hexes in a line as if they were squares.

Quote:

In general practice, (on the average sized game table) a hex or square might need to represent 2 meters or Space Units (instead of 1:1). If so, is there a clean way to calculate odd weapons ranges and movement characteristics?

The easiest is to just divide by 2 and round to the nearest. It does mean a weapon with a short range of 25 meters will have a effective range of 26m in game, but then there is no real reason to think that everybody is standing in the cetner of a hex all the time anyway.

[/quote]
What about facing in starship combat?
Can you adapt 4 shield arcs to a hex of 6 sides so that it is clear which arc an attacking ship is firing on? [/quote]

Yes, Star Warriors does just that. It also has small ships (like fighters) uses 2 facing (front and rear) while freighers get the full 4 arcs.

If you have square ship counters the easy way to do it is to take a straight edge and find a path from the firing ship to the target, and then have it strike that part of the target ship that the line crosses. So a shot that hits on the left (port) side his the port side of the ship and so forth.

Quote:

What's a good rule of thumb for the TN or movement cost of rotating a ship on the spot of a hex or grid square?

I'd base it on how fast the ship is traveling and how many facings the ship is being turned. Again you might want to hunt down a copy of the Star Warriors game/supplement. It does all this stuff for you.

From the d6 rulebook there is:
Turn (up to 45 degress): +1-5
Double Turn (up to 90 degrees): +11-15
Bootlegger Turn (180 degrees): +6-15

Quote:

Whilst these are not all the issues and I could obviously rely on GM's judgment, I'm hoping that with all the gaming groups out there; a few of you have figured out good ways to implement miniatures and/or use them with a hex or square grid map.

Thanks all

Star Warriors handled most of it for starship combat, on a hex grid. D20 also did something similar for vehicles that could be adapted to d6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: