The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsabre Operation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsabre Operation Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When and why did this thread move from lightsaber operation, a fully described section in multiple SW books, to this scifi/reality stuff? Let's limit the hyjacked threads.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the premise of the thread was to show something pertaining to Lightsabres that I found that was interesting. Though the books have a section on Lightsabre operation, but it is hardly as comprehensive or inclusive of real science as this explanation that someone obviously put some serious effort into researching. I found it interesting and I thought that other folk here might get a kick out of it too.

As for the hijacking, it’s no big deal, threads like conversations move in there own directions sometimes. And since I started this thread if anyone has a right to complain about hijacking it would be me, and since I am not I am clearly not bothered by it, then perhaps you should not be bothered either. It happens, no big deal. Just let it go man, it’s not a big issue.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sci-fi is just another setting for telling the same basic types of stories. Like fantasy is and magic, with a directly opposite look and feel.

Science fiction is often based on basic scientific theories and ideas. They of course like modern science lack actual details needed to make it science reality.

So in effect most plausable science fiction is based losely on scientific theories and science facts. They offen fill in the missing pieces with made up devices that would be needed to "make the theory work".

If we could do everything we've ever theorized in science it wouldn't be science fiction. It would be like normal fiction in a contemporary setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: