The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Rancor as a PC [Fluffy]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> A Rancor as a PC [Fluffy] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Expendable Hero
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a firm believer in trying to work with players whenever possible and, under the right conditions, would let a player play a rancor. That does not mean you can just write one up and assume that it is going to be allowed. The first step to any character that your players make should be to look at there motives. If they are just interested in power gaming its an automatic no. However if they have a good reason and idea behind there character than you continue to the next step. For me the next step is to consider all of the negatives that a player will face as that race/class/gender ect. make sure the player knows that they are going to have to deal with them and your not going to baby there character or design the campaign around them. For a Rancor this means fitting into small spaces. Being considered a dangerous creature and probably banned outright on many planets. In general not doing much if the game takes players into a city and out of the wild. The next step if a player is going to be a lot stronger than the other players is to discuss it with all of the players. Often this step is left out but I feel it is one of the most important if there is a game balance issue. Make sure all of the players know what having this hulking brute means to the game and let them decide if they are ok with that. If they are fine with having there 1d+2 strength Jawa fighting along side a 11d resist brute and know it means strong weapons coming there way then you don't have to feel so guilty when they die. If all of those steps have been agreed on then the player can START to make his character. This means that he had better have a really good back story for why there even in the game and have a character that makes sense. After he makes the character then if you don't have anymore issues I see no reason to allow him in the game. This does not mean you have to allow a Rancor. If you are playing a game where there is no reason for them to be there don't let them be. No you can not play a rancor in my empire only campaign.
Finnaly the last and most important step is to stick to your guns. If the player wants to fly in a ship make them pay extra to equip it for a Rancor. If they land on Coresant there is no way they can even move around outside of the ship properly to do anything. If they get in a fight and kill a thug feel free to have the authority's declare the rancor a danger to society until the investigation is over. What no one has law enforcement well I hope you have the credits for a good lawyer. The biggest rule I have for GMing is firm but fair and when you are dealing with Rancor characters its the same way.
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread makes me think uplift by David Brin. Lets uplift a rancor. Twisted Evil

You may fire when ready
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expendable Hero wrote:
What no one has law enforcement well I hope you have the credits for a good lawyer.

"OK, who even has the skill listed on the sheet?"

"I have Law Enforcement at 6D."

"... WHAT?"

"Hey, I'm a Bounty Hunter, you have to know the laws the Perps break, and the punishments at the very least. That way, you make the most profit for the least amount of trouble. Did you know on Xactur that the Bounty Hunter gets the Bounty, and fifteen percent of whatever is recovered? How do you think I could afford the ship?"
Expendable Hero
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ray I'm glad someone sees it my way. I have always felt law enforcement is one of the under apreciated skills. Kind of like planetary systems and business.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think culinary arts and home ec are more under appreciated. I never even knew about them until I started developing Kabakh when Jamfke first started his PbP. It was only after I'd picked the SE4 droid as the model droid I wanted to play that I learned of these two knowledge skills.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expendable Hero wrote:
Well Ray I'm glad someone sees it my way. I have always felt law enforcement is one of the under apreciated skills. Kind of like planetary systems and business.

Actually, I think we only ever had it at 4D at any time.

Being Mercenaries and Privateers, we didn't have to worry about it as much. And we had a Lawyer on board to make sure that we didn't go TOO far. I forget his other role on the ship...

Hellcat wrote:
I think culinary arts and home ec are more under appreciated.

My Scout chatacter, Xar the Duro, had some of the most important skills in the group: Culinary Arts and AutoChef Operations.

Not to mention an insane skill in Astrogation.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, at long last, the first part of the Fluffy story is written!

It's not good, but it's out of my head finally: http://canray.deviantart.com/art/Star-Wars-Part-One-Swords-74528375

Part Two, out eventually, will have Fluffy in it. I used part one to introduce The Grey Barn, and Captain Handerson.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got done talking about Fluffy in a proposal about making him part of the FAQ. Then I came looking for this thread to find I missed your Jan. post Ray. Man, I thought Fluffy was big here, but looks like soon Fluffy will be an internet phenomana. Way to go Very Happy

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on the story, folks. It's not coming as freely as before. Sad

But I am working!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I forgot how funny some of the early posts in this thread were. I love the breaking of the cargo wench trying to get a drunk Fluffy back to his room.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at long (LONG!) last, the Fluffy story promised!

http://canray.deviantart.com/art/Star-Wars-Part-Two-81247530

Again, it's garbage for my typical work. But it's done.

We'll see if I can do better if I can ever get gaming Star Wars again... Confused

Hell, maybe I can find a GM that'll let me PLAY Fluffy!
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice - bookmarked for later reading, when i have time Very Happy

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a very good read, Way. Nice job. I particularly liked this passage:

"From within the bowels of the ship came a roar like that of some ancient eldrich god, fearsome to all those with ears to hear and minds to think."

That's good writing right there.

And your story reinforces my opinion that a Rancor PC would wreck a campaign in more ways than one. "I want this" "You can't have it" "FLUFFY!" "Oh, alright...."
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily fixed by a good Role Player that can be bribed.

"FLUFFY!"

*Types on Spell-and-Speak Rancor Edition* "Not now, am nap time."
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLUFFY FOR PRESIDENT 2012!!!!!!!

I miss seeing Ray post as often as he used to. Been over a year now since he last posted.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: