The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Two Weapon Fighting - Possible Answers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Two Weapon Fighting - Possible Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stule
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Two Weapon Fighting - Possible Answers Reply with quote

Hey!

I posted this on the Two Lightsaber page but I liked it so much I wanted to post it again.

This is my solution to Two Weapon Fighting in my game. I like simple answers to solutions and this seems to do it for me.

If you use an off hand weapon: -1D with hand attack becasue you are not familiar with attacking this way.

If you use Two Weapons: Normal Action + 1 free action with -1D off hand weapon penalty.

Example: Character has Blaster Skill at 5D. He takes one shot with each hand. Right hand 5D, Left hand 4D.

Specialization (Two Blasters, Dual Lightsabers, whatever): Ignore -1D penalty for off hand and use the skill to hit.

There ya go.

Oh and as for the Rebellion site (Awesome Site btw), just change the +5 bonus to +1D, that would give you a range of +1 to +6.

Well there it is.
Simple.
And full of D6 love.

Enjoy.

Stule
Stule
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after reviewing the forums, I have decided to use the rule many are using (-1D with primary and -2D with off hand for two weapons).

Here is my revision.

1) Two Weapons
If you use Two Weapons: Normal Action + 1 free action with -1D primary hand weapon penalty and a -2D for your off hand.

Example: Character has Blaster Skill at 6D. He takes one shot with each hand. Right hand 5D, Left hand 4D. If Character wanted to shoot twice with each hand, it would be considered 3 actions and then you would apply -2D to each attack, so it would be 2 shots at 3D with primary hand, and 2 shots at 2D with off hand.

I assume it is three actions, becasue in my game, the first two shots are just one action (the first shot with the primary hand and the first shot with the off hand). Every other shot is considered an additional action.

2) Specialization
Specialization (Two Blasters, Dual Lightsabers, whatever): Ignore penalties for off hand and use the skill to hit.

There, that should clear some things up.

Stule
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with making a specialization for two weapon fighting, because the characters would be able to continue advancing in it like any other specialization, meaning that for half the CP cost they can improve in two attacks per round!

There should not be any specialization that averts the penalty for using two weapons. Having a lot of skill with the weapon you use should be all you can do. If you have 2D in your blaster skill and you use two of them, you're going to suck with both shots. But if you have 8D then you're going to be pretty damn good with both hands, even with the penalties. It's being good at it that makes it easier. Having a "two weapon fighting" specialization is like retraining your brain to make you ambidextrous, but only with weapons. You still couldn't write your name with your left hand! That's rediculous!

Also, I disagree with the semantics of the -1D on hand/-2D off hand penalty. I think the multi-weapon penalty should be just -1D, but each hand you use should count as an action. So it would still be -1D on hand /-2D off hand, but the second hand would be -1D for multiple weapons, and -1D for a second action. Your next (third) action you take should be at -2D like normal so as not to unbalance the game. Otherwise, a PC can say:

"First, I shoot with both hands..." (-1D/-2D, counts as one action)
"Then I shoot with both hands again..." (penalty -2D/-3D, counts as one action)
"Finally I shoot with my right hand..." (penalty -2D, counts as one action)

That's FIVE attacks in one round in just THREE ACTIONS with an average penalty of just -2D!!!!! That's CRAZY!!!

It's best to make each attack an additional action, and keep the multi-weapon penalty at -1D for each weapon:

"First, I shoot with both hands..." (-1D/-2D, counts as two actions)
"Then I shoot with both hands again..." (penalty -3D/-4D, counts as two actions)
"Finally I shoot with my right hand..." (penalty -4D, counts as one action)

-4D puts you at exactly what your penalty should be on your fifth action anyway, it works out perfectly.

Anyone disagree?
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally pistols only have a rate of 1 anyway. So holding two just gives you ROF of 2. I'd do it like any other multi-action penalty. -1 to both...
Allembrande
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I fight longsword, and I occasionally use two. I find it much easier to perform gross physical activities (Fighting, rock-climbing) than to perform fine motor skills with my off hand. A specialization seems like a good idea, except it doesn't make sense that someone with a specialization of 4D would be better with two pistols than one. I think the fact that it mitigates the penalties is a good idea, but not if it also means being better overall.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Normally pistols only have a rate of 1 anyway. So holding two just gives you ROF of 2. I'd do it like any other multi-action penalty. -1 to both...

You might want to check the errata about your pistols. I'm not sure which one you were referring to but there were some mistakes in the R&E rule book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: