The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Large Feller Weapon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Large Feller Weapon. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
But the range would drop. Sure, the bolt will still fly 250m or whatever, but you can't aim it one handed and hit something at that range. Range is not the distance the ammunition travels, but the ability to hit with the weapon.

I agree. The range difficulties is not related to how long the blaster bolts actually reach. At least that is how I understands it. I may be wrong though...
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for those who made suggestions for a blaster for the character, I appreciate the input.

I think the few people who got bogged down in a rules debate missed the initial question.

Quote:
Anyone have any other suggestions that the 2.5m (8'4"), 175kg (385lb.) Might use for a sidearm?

I'm not really too worried about game mechanics because it's unlikely that he will engage anyone at max range. But thanks anyway!
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the sights and the weapon and mostly the shooter. I've got a buddy who does all of his long range shooting with a Keltech PLR-16.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/plr-16/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25NuGHaDW_0 - Dual Wielded. Not my friend just a random youtube video.

He tossed a scope on it and can drive a nail at 200 yards, standing. Two-handed, but it's still possible. Prone he can hit targets at 300 yards.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Hellcat wrote:
The point is that range shouldn't drop just because something is held one handed, but accuracy may drop.

Which i represented in effective range. Firing a weapon in 'pistol mode' affects the effective range due to inaccuracy.

ZzaphodD wrote:
Hellcat wrote:
Try firing a real world pistol and rifle standing one handed, standing two handed, and in a prone position two handed. Their range do not change, but accuracy can change, especially if firing one handed. It's easier to be accurate with a pistol one handed than a rifle, but accuracy still improves when holding it with two hands.

Your mixing up ballistics with effective range represented in a game system.

No, I don't believe I am. Accuracy and range are two different things. According to what you're saying range, whether the total possible or the effective range at which you can ht and do damage should change if you hold a weapon one handed. This is not the case. The range remains the same if you hold one handed. As stated, you have to do something to the actual firing mechanisms or barrel to effect the range. But if you simply replace the stock with a pistol grip you're still able to hold the weapon in two hands to fire it.

Accuracy is a mark both of the weapon's design and of what you can do with it. Hold it in two hands better braces the weapon, letting you fire it more accurately. The more accurate the weapon is to begin with, the more accurate your shot will be two handed. The larger the weapon when held in one hand, the more it's accutally going to move about even if you don't notice it. This isn't the range being changed. The effective range, the at which you're most likely to hit with that weapon, doesn't change when accuracy changes.

Wanted Poster
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Hellcat wrote:
The point is that range shouldn't drop just because something is held one handed, but accuracy may drop.

Which i represented in effective range. Firing a weapon in 'pistol mode' affects the effective range due to inaccuracy.

ZzaphodD wrote:
Hellcat wrote:
Try firing a real world pistol and rifle standing one handed, standing two handed, and in a prone position two handed. Their range do not change, but accuracy can change, especially if firing one handed. It's easier to be accurate with a pistol one handed than a rifle, but accuracy still improves when holding it with two hands.

Your mixing up ballistics with effective range represented in a game system.

No, I don't believe I am. Accuracy and range are two different things. According to what you're saying range, whether the total possible or the effective range at which you can ht and do damage should change if you hold a weapon one handed. This is not the case. The range remains the same if you hold one handed. As stated, you have to do something to the actual firing mechanisms or barrel to effect the range. But if you simply replace the stock with a pistol grip you're still able to hold the weapon in two hands to fire it.

Accuracy is a mark both of the weapon's design and of what you can do with it. Hold it in two hands better braces the weapon, letting you fire it more accurately. The more accurate the weapon is to begin with, the more accurate your shot will be two handed. The larger the weapon when held in one hand, the more it's accutally going to move about even if you don't notice it. This isn't the range being changed. The effective range, the at which you're most likely to hit with that weapon, doesn't change when accuracy changes.

Well, the range stats in the game clearly indicat that they represent effective range with no real extreme ranges even included. If you want to have an 'extreme' range for a one handed rifle due to the fact that the bolt travels further than a pistol then why not have the same rule for the other pistols that also shoots further than their range indicate? Of course, this being a house rule forum, this is totally ok but its a separate rules discussion really.

And yes, accuracy and effective range very much go hand in hand, I dont know what to say if you cant see that.. Confused
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Large Feller Weapon. Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I've got a Reigat in one of my games, and I was thinking that because of how huge they are, that he might actually use a droid blaster carbine as a "heavy pistol". Anyone have any other suggestions that the 2.5m (8'4"), 175kg (385lb.) Might use for a sidearm?

Why not a decksweeper or whatever they are called?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: