The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Operation Elrood, Help please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Operation Elrood, Help please
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccatkins
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Operation Elrood, Help please Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
I consider it beneficial if you're going to use the Elrood sector a bunch. It does detail a few new locations and better information of some others. It operates like other WEG adventure books. It takes the players across the sector over several adventurers as Rebels.

Hi All,

I'm in the process of running my group through operation Elrood and I was wondering if anyone has run it and what tips they might have.

I have already had to adapt it because my players really didn't take to the star dragon and in fact when I introduced it they thought that it was a bad joke. In the next session I had to introduce an air filter leak that inadvertantly made the group get high and imagine the star dragon incident.

On this basis I'm thinking that the second adventure is a bit rail-roady and so I will have to change it considerably to add more flexibility, anyone got any ideas on this?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Operation Elrood, Help please Reply with quote

ccatkins wrote:
Hi All,

I'm in the process of running my group through operation Elrood and I was wondering if anyone has run it and what tips they might have.

I have already had to adapt it because my players really didn't take to the star dragon and in fact when I introduced it they thought that it was a bad joke. In the next session I had to introduce an air filter leak that inadvertantly made the group get high and imagine the star dragon incident.

On this basis I'm thinking that the second adventure is a bit rail-roady and so I will have to change it considerably to add more flexibility, anyone got any ideas on this?

I ran Operation Elrood over a decade ago, I guess in the late 90-s. I removed the Star Dragon because the goofieness did not fit our playing style. Sorry, but I cant remember what I switched it with. What was its purpose in the adventure? BTW, if I wanted to 'retcon' a dragon out of the last session I would just have no one believe them. Strangely they cant find any information about them in whatever sources they use. Almost as if someone/something put a collective hallucination into their minds. Bound to spread some paranoia... Laughing

Cant seem to find my 'copy' of the Operation Elrood.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ran quite a few adventures in Elrood Sector and created quite a bit of additional information and background. Therefore by the time we got a copy of Operation Elrood the events in it would not fit our campaign. Thus we never ran anything from it.

I do recall OE did seem a bit too GM one tracked. You might try using the ideas as a starting point and then ignore the railroading aspects.
ccatkins
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having another read through and there seems to be quite a bit of 'humorous' situations in the adventure, like being trapped in a cage with a loose animal after having to find a way to drop it off to a party that high level imperials are at.

This and the fact that as per the adventure I would have to incorporate an annoying npc that my players will either see through straight away or question until he gives up his motives, means that i am going to have to find some interesting ways of cutting out some large swaths of the adventure but still get relevent information across.

Luckily the adventures do cover what i need for my campaign but with an added twist, the head of the rebel mining company is actually the crime lord that has been dogging the PCs steps for the past few months.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the annoying NPC and the silly situations. Two more reasons we didn't use that book.

I find humor works better in context with a particular set of characters and players. It if very hard to script in general and often ends up lame or ludicrous. Fitting what you can to your campaign always works better.
Bulldogzeta
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Dragons don't need to be goofy. I've been using one for over a decade now. He is the master of my players' Jedi. He appeared in one of the old Star Wars Action Journals by the name of Willm. I updated his abilities to account for a few hundred years passing. I've had no complaints about any goofiness.
ccatkins
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldogzeta wrote:
Star Dragons don't need to be goofy. I've been using one for over a decade now. He is the master of my players' Jedi. He appeared in one of the old Star Wars Action Journals by the name of Willm. I updated his abilities to account for a few hundred years passing. I've had no complaints about any goofiness.

My players, are playing as hardened smuglers and thier real life personalities are quite cynical. We have been playing together for over 15 years and this was the first time that I have ever seen them have a look of disgust when I have introduced a character.

I will let you know what happens next session when JAr Jar makes an appearance, 'how wuuuud!' Very Happy

I have managed how to work out how to directly ling adventure one with adventure two, by using the droid that the squib gives the players, but instead of this being a sabotage droid it will be the one left behind by the rebel agent. The players will now have a few more options of where they ant to go, thus avaoiding the railroading. I will also cut a large chunk from the second adventure to speed up the pace and make the annoying guy into someone a bit more usefull and relevent to the overall campaign.

Its amazing how you can things through whilst walking the dog. Very Happy
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later on in Act III of Operation Elrood, if the PCs helped the Star Dragon, he swoops in and helps the PCs defeat some pirates. So, the Star Dragon isn't pivotal, but he does help.
Bulldogzeta
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccatkins wrote:

I will let you know what happens next session when JAr Jar makes an appearance, 'how wuuuud!' Very Happy

I would get lynched if I introduced Jar Jar!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldogzeta wrote:

I agree. We had a Star Dragon Jedi as well. Well actually we had a statue of a Star Dragon Jedi. He was one of seven jedi that long ago freed the planet Merisee (in Elrood Sector) from domination by the evil Loag assassin cult. The characters think he is dead. Which he may (or may not be). He hasn't shown up other than as a name and a statue.
Bulldogzeta
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I agree. We had a Star Dragon Jedi as well. Well actually we had a statue of a Star Dragon Jedi. He was one of seven jedi that long ago freed the planet Merisee (in Elrood Sector) from domination by the evil Loag assassin cult. The characters think he is dead. Which he may (or may not be). He hasn't shown up other than as a name and a statue.

That sounds rather cool. Do you mind if I borrow that for my campaign?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldogzeta wrote:

That sounds rather cool. Do you mind if I borrow that for my campaign?

Feel free, the names of four of the Jedi were Aigeelops (a tree-like alien from a species I saw in one of the Tales of the Jedi comics, he lived and became the guardian of the temple see below), Imon No-gaes (who I think was a human female, she died), Shayoto (can't recall who or what he/she/it was), Star Rider (which was the translation of the name of the Stardragon Jedi).

There may have only been six Jedi rather than seven and I believe 3-4 of them died. They were the six (or seven) Redeemers that inspired the Cult of Those Who Redeem on Merisee.

The Cult of Those Who Redeem created a temple on an island on Merisee that the PCs entered to get some clues and cool Jedi stuff left by the original Jedi.

Sadly many of my scenario notes are de facto lost since they were originally created in the old Lotus suite (Ami Pro and Freelance Graphics) software which I can no longer convert to MS-Word/PowerPoint.
ccatkins
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ran an exteneded session yesterday and dropped some more potenatial plot points to the group, it was fun to see them keep changing thier priorities, I'm really not sure which way they are going to go but I'm sure they will surprise me.

I skipped over Mikos (the annoying character) by introducing him at the pet shop but as the poor brother of an investigative journalist that had some info given to him just before his brother was killed by a crime lord with links to the rebel alliance.

Anyway as part of the adventure they searched the ship of the Grey Griffons and found a datapad and an imperial uniform. They are in the process of runnning a decryption programme on it, obviously thinking it is related to this adventure but i thought it might be fun to actually have it as a letters home/personal journal type thing from the captain that was also once an imp officer? I would be interested in any entries that you guys might be able to come up with? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: