The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Large Feller Weapon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Large Feller Weapon. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Large Feller Weapon. Reply with quote

I've got a Reigat in one of my games, and I was thinking that because of how huge they are, that he might actually use a droid blaster carbine as a "heavy pistol". Anyone have any other suggestions that the 2.5m (8'4"), 175kg (385lb.) Might use for a sidearm?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea... a Medium repeater!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldnt he have a firearm or something similar? Isnt blasters a bit wimpy for such a thug?

A Smitt & Westron .75 Rancorslayer perhaps?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't generally tend to use a blaster, but from time to time, someone is out of reach or whatnot, so what's a guy to do?
Tusk BloodFlail
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Reigats are so big they need custom weaponry. Just use a Thunderer, 6D+2 for a pistol is pretty good. He can modify it up to 8D+1; which is basically carrying around an E-web strapped to your hip Shocked

We did have a campaign where someone was playing an Esoomian. The GM on that one told him just to make whatever weapon he picked up "Speeder" scale and he simply applied all the appropriate penalties. Very Happy

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practically every gm i hae played with already has thunderers maxed out from regular heavy pistols.. so no more modifying..
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played and Esoomian weilding an Eweb before. Once on this board and once in a pen and paper game.

In this board the Eweb has a backpack style generator making it a little more cumbersome but the ammunition is unlimited (if the Jawa rigged cables don't burn out) and in the pen and paper one the Verpine PC excessively modified the Eweb so it took 16 regular blaster clips rather than needing a generator.

In both instances I've never got to fire the gun, having a gun so large (as well as 7D strength) seems to be all that is required in most situations.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Practically every gm i hae played with already has thunderers maxed out from regular heavy pistols.. so no more modifying..

Yeah, to me the Thunderer is already part of the skill inflation that shows up in some of the later WEG books e.g. pretty much any stat and most weapons and vehicles from Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to give him something terribly huge like an e-web, however I was wondering if someone that large would be able to keep a carbine or rifle in a standard suit jacket without issue.

I'm personally not that fond of the T-6 or any of the 6D+ blaster pistols. If someone spends the time, energy and money to modify their standard heavy blaster that high, so be it. But starting off with 6D+1 or 6D+2 is lame... Hell, the only things you'd need something that heavy for would be trying to take out an Esoomian.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Large Feller Weapon. Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I've got a Reigat in one of my games, and I was thinking that because of how huge they are, that he might actually use a droid blaster carbine as a "heavy pistol". Anyone have any other suggestions that the 2.5m (8'4"), 175kg (385lb.) Might use for a sidearm?

I had a 2.3 meter Coynite NPC who carried a blaster carbine as a side arm. He used it one-handed like a pistol. Made sense to me given his strength and size. Being Coynite, he wasn't trying to conceal the weapon though.

Quote:
...however I was wondering if someone that large would be able to keep a carbine or rifle in a standard suit jacket without issue.

I don't think a 2.5 meter Reigat can fit into a standard suit jacket. Sounds like a custom fit to me. Wink
Seems like as long as the stock folds conveniently and the barrel isn't too long, a carbine would fit under his suit about as well as a heavy blaster would fit under a human's suit. I'd allow it, but would probably also allow a Perception/search roll to notice a bulge under the jacket.

BTW Wookieepedia and Gry's stats compilation gives their height as 1.9 – 2.3 meters, so that sounds like a very large Reigat.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the range of a carbine being used as a pistol then?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Same as standard range. In effect he's just going to wield it one handed like a blaster pistol.

Quote:
I don't think a 2.5 meter Reigat can fit into a standard suit jacket. Sounds like a custom fit to me. Wink

Well, custom to a human, but this is star wars where larger aliens do exist and do in fact need clothes, it is a fitted suit, since he does work for the mob, but that's beside the point. Wink

Quote:
Seems like as long as the stock folds conveniently and the barrel isn't too long, a carbine would fit under his suit about as well as a heavy blaster would fit under a human's suit. I'd allow it, but would probably also allow a Perception/search roll to notice a bulge under the jacket.

That's why I picked the droid carbine, no stock so to speak.

Quote:
BTW Wookieepedia and Gry's stats compilation gives their height as 1.9 – 2.3 meters, so that sounds like a very large Reigat.

His attributes are based on an NPC in Wretched hives. Yes, he's big for a Reigat, but I think Gry low balled the Reigat's strength, when the one example we have has +1 higher strength than his "racial maximum".

Besides, it comes out to maybe a 10" difference. I want his high strength to be appropriate. How tall do Esoomians get with their 7D max strength? 3.5m? He's 1m shorter for a max strength of 6D instead of 7D. Makes sense to me.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:

Same as standard range. In effect he's just going to wield it one handed like a blaster pistol.

Standard blaster pistol range?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Quote:

His attributes are based on an NPC in Wretched hives. Yes, he's big for a Reigat, but I think Gry low balled the Reigat's strength, when the one example we have has +1 higher strength than his "racial maximum".

Besides, it comes out to maybe a 10" difference. I want his high strength to be appropriate. How tall do Esoomians get with their 7D max strength? 3.5m? He's 1m shorter for a max strength of 6D instead of 7D. Makes sense to me.

I think Gry's stats for the Reigats come from the Aliens book, but I don't have access to my copy to double check. Given the overall skill levels of the Wretched Hives stats it wouldn't surprise me if that guy was a point above species max. But even if that is true, I don't see a huge problem with a character being +1 over species max, which could obviously also account for an increased height.

I don't think an Esoomian is the best model for a height for a Reigat. As a contrast I note that Wookiee's max STR 6D have a max height of 2.3 meters. But comparing a lot of the 5D and above STR aliens gives a median of .14 meters max height per pip of max STR which would put a 6D max STR alien at 2.5 meters in max height. So by my calculations you seem on target. Smile (I was having a bit of a nerd stat moment.)

I concur on blaster carbines having the same range when wielded 1 or 2 handed and the Reigat certainly seems big and strong enough to shoot one handed.

MINOR SPOILER ALERT for Wretched Hives:
We ran into that Reigat on Stend. He was named Chugg and was the huge henchman of Nakuda the Herglic crimelord. The Coynite PC in our campaign used a FP to kill Chugg with his own vibroblade. The Coynite ended up mortally wounded and nearly died. I suspect the GM may have toned down Reigat's stats a bit. Wink
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry doesn't list where he got the Reigat stats, at least not on the page the stats are on in his PDF. Also on that page are the Rellarin and the Revwien, both of which he gives GG12 as the source for.

Edit: Just checked Wookieepedia, Reigat have Cracken's Rebel Operatives, Wretched Hives of Scum and Villany, and AJ 10 listed as sources and the short story Two For One from AJ 15 as an appearance. I'm not sure if I've seen Gry list the AJ as a source, so maybe the stats came from there. Craken's Rebel Operatives and Wretched Hives of Scum and Villiany only have Reigat characters. Might have AJ 10 so I can try checking that, though I'm never certain which issues I have since I don't use them terribly often. Cover looks familar enough to make me think it might be one I got off Amazon.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: