The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Advantages/Disadvantages
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Advantages/Disadvantages Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Tolval
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Advantages/Disadvantages Reply with quote

I used advantages/disadvantages in a campaign some years ago. I modified these from TSR Top Secret/S.I. Some examples are: enemy (1, 2, 4), wealth (1, 2, 4), ego signature (2), ambidexterous (2). They allowed the players to expand their characters more. Exampel: The smuggler had a lost dependent (a girlfriend taken by slavers). These allowed for future adventures or something to keep players on track or de-rail them. A player could take up to 7 disadvantages and advantages had to be equal to or less than the point value of the disadvantages. This could be like 7 disadvantages at 1 pt a piece for a total of 7 pts worth of advantages. Or 3 disadvantages with 1, 3, and 3 pts (7 total) but 5 pts of advantages. Why would a player take less advantages? This allowed them to use any extra points from disadvantages to translate into more starting character points or an extra pip on skills.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the disadvantage to CP trade off?
Admiral Tolval
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The balance would be disadvantages on one side and advantages, cps, and pips on the other. Example: 7 disadvantages (2 pts. each) has 14 pts. You take 8 pts. of advantages, gain a total of +3 pips in different skills (+1 each), and 3 character pts (14 pts total).
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral Tolval wrote:
The balance would be disadvantages on one side and advantages, cps, and pips on the other. Example: 7 disadvantages (2 pts. each) has 14 pts. You take 8 pts. of advantages, gain a total of +3 pips in different skills (+1 each), and 3 character pts (14 pts total).

If I were to allow a system like this, I'd probably cap the number closer to the white wolf max of 7 pts per character. Otherwise it becomes a game of stacking up disadvantages for the points.
Yinan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but this feels kinda unbalanced. i mean seriously, +1 pip is much better then +1 cp -.-
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used ads/disads from other D6 books, with players paying for thie ads out their starting dice.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a fan of advantage/disadvantage systems. But it is interesting to see how those who do like them incorporate them into D6.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And depending on the player some of those 'disadvantages; may be just window dressing..
Such as say they take ward/child... what you gonna do when they just dump them? Or don't bother to go rescue them when the BBEG's henchmen kidnap them?
Blue Glowie
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a list of advantages/disadvantages that I use for my campaign. I heavily modified and added to a list I think I found on the forums:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/rebelscum/wikis/advantages-and-disadvantages

The PC's chose 4 points worth from each list about midway through the campaign, and I'll probably let them do it again at some point.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Such as say they take ward/child... what you gonna do when they just dump them? Or don't bother to go rescue them when the BBEG's henchmen kidnap them?

That is really a player problem not a rules problem. So the best solution is to discuss this with the player directly.

However my snarky, passive-agressive response would be that the GM should
a) decide which disadvantages suddenly stop working preferable at the most inopportune time and/or
b) select new disadvantages that are easier to enforce e.g. unknown to the player he receives Disadvantage: Hunted by the Inquisition frequently occurs in play ~ once per session. Twisted Evil
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically saw all "plot related" disadvantages or flaws to not be disadvantages. As a player, it is, "wait, I get more points to make my character stronger by giving plot hooks to focus more adventure on me?"

It's why I was never a fan of them, and why I don't use them in most systems. You are going to get obstacles thrown at you whether you have flaws or not.
Admiral Tolval
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how some players could take advantage of adv/disadv. I had a good group however and we had fun with them.

garhkal wrote
Quote:
Such as say they take ward/child... what you gonna do when they just dump them?

Child services takes the ward/child in and the player is now wanted by sector authorities for child abandonment. That disadv of 1 pt just got bumped up to a 2 or 3 pt enemy disadv. This being said, the GM has the final say in any adv/disadv that is available. If you know a player is just picking up a dependent disadv just for the pts. and has no notice of rping it, don't let them pick it. Also, the GM can connect the disadv to adv. The player picks a dependant disadv but also wealth adv. The GM can say that the wealth is only available as long as the player takes care of the dependant like a trust fund or something. If you have a group that would totally rip this off for their own benefit and not rp it, don't even offer it to them. The group I used this with, I played with for four years before using this. They were a good mix group of roleplayers (1 real roleplayer, 2 real man, 1 munkin, and 1 loonie). See this link for the meanings behind these types of players http://pw1.netcom.com/~shagbert/pages/munchkins.html
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha! That "Real Men/Role players/Loonies/Munchkins" is funny. I guess, based on what it says, I fall into the "Real Men" category.

Last edited by Grimace on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And depending on the player some of those 'disadvantages; may be just window dressing..

The child obviously, by a 'chance encounter', happens to save the life of Boba Fett who now pledges to take revenge on the character... Laughing
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
The child obviously, by a 'chance encounter', happens to save the life of Boba Fett who now pledges to take revenge on the character... Laughing
8) Much more stylish than my rocks-fall-and-everyone-dies choice of Hunted by the Inquisition.

But seriously, this is a player problem. It's not a rules problem. That's why Admiral Tolval didn't need a rule to prevent the problem.

I appear to flip flop between Roleplayers and Real Men.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: