The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ionizing Mandalorian Armour
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Ionizing Mandalorian Armour Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jawa Juice
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Ionizing Mandalorian Armour Reply with quote

If one fires an Ion blaster at someone in Mandalorian Armor what are the effects.
Does the the Mandalorian roll only the armors +3d stats to resist?
If hit does it only shut down the part of the armor it hits (say it hits the helmet does it just shut down the internal com-link but not the jet pack and flamethrower? Or will it shut down the entire system?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the things that the D6 system never really satisfactorily accounted for. There aren't really any mechanics for such kinds of trinkets taking damage when they're supposed to be integrated into the thing that's keeping you from taking damage.

Just off the top of my head, if I had a player trying to knock out systems on the armor, I would probably do it by a per-hit basis. I'd have them roll damage against the armor's soak +2D (the normal body strength of an item). If the armor won, then there's no effect. If the ion damage exceeds the damage resistance, then I would roll to see which system was knocked out. If it succeeded by 16 or more, then I would probably knock out two systems per damage roll.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
If it succeeded by 16 or more, then I would probably knock out two systems per damage roll.
You could use rules similar to the ship rules for ionization SWR&E RPG page 127.

Ion damge >=
(2D+armor bonus) by..................Effect
...........0-3..................................controls ionized (cannot -1D to weapons or sensors or comm rolls, -1D to armor suit operation)
...........4-8..................................2 controls ionized
...........9-12................................3 controls ionized
..........13-15...............................4 controls ionized
...........16+.................................controls dead
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Mandalorian armor isn't powered, so it wouldn't really have an effect. It might knock out things like targeting systems and the like, though.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
You could use rules similar to the ship rules for ionization SWR&E RPG page 127.

Ion damge >=
(2D+armor bonus) by..................Effect
...........0-3..................................controls ionized (cannot -1D to weapons or sensors or comm rolls, -1D to armor suit operation)
...........4-8..................................2 controls ionized
...........9-12................................3 controls ionized
..........13-15...............................4 controls ionized
...........16+.................................controls dead

First, we'd have to ask why ionization weapons aren't more prominent on the battlefield against Mandos. I would think that it wouldn't be as effective against disabling the gadgets in the armor than it would be the ships equipment, perhaps because the gadgets aren't as complex and aren't a vulnerable to the ionization than would be ship system.

Ankhanu wrote:
Most Mandalorian armor isn't powered, so it wouldn't really have an effect. It might knock out things like targeting systems and the like, though.

Right, so it couldn't take out any of the armor bonuses, and it could add any dex penalties, because it's just armor. Granted, usually armor with a LOT of gadgets in it, but in the end, it's just armor. I think that the controls for the gadgets could get frozen, but that's about it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

First, we'd have to ask why ionization weapons aren't more prominent on the battlefield against Mandos. I would think that it wouldn't be as effective against disabling the gadgets in the armor than it would be the ships equipment, perhaps because the gadgets aren't as complex and aren't a vulnerable to the ionization than would be ship system..

Sparks gets around that by saying Ionization only affects ships and droids.. To affect equipment you need a DEMP grenade
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks? I know not to which you refer, but I am interested.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of times around here you see me mention i do convention gaming with a group.. The name of the group is Sparks force 7, which has 2 ongoing starwars campaigns.. Sparks, which is D6, and The Force, which is d20.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
First, we'd have to ask why ionization weapons aren't more prominent on the battlefield against Mandos.
1) Because they are only one planet out of millions. You don't design main line military hardware to combat the odd exception.
2) The armor isn't powered, so ionizing a Mando (or a Clone Trooper or a Stormtrooper) degrades his effectiveness, but doesn't stop him or cause his buddies to stop and tend to his wounds (since the man isn't wounded). A blaster wound to a soldier often stops the man and one or two buddies to tend to his wounds. On the battlefield a wounded trooper can have more short term attrition effect than a dead trooper.

cheshire wrote:
I would think that it wouldn't be as effective against disabling the gadgets in the armor than it would be the ships equipment, perhaps because the gadgets aren't as complex and aren't a vulnerable to the ionization than would be ship system.
Physically I would think it would be easier to harden the larger system than the smaller system so the armor gadgets would be more vulnerable. But as a handwave rationale this is fine.

cheshire wrote:
I think that the controls for the gadgets could get frozen, but that's about it.
It could also cause permanent damage by fusing circuits, wires, relays, etc. But that won't effect the armor bonus for damage resistance. Only the bells and whistles and installed weapons. Though one should then argue that a blaster pistol (or lightsaber) could be ionized as well. This is probably not a route down which I wish to walk.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

cheshire wrote:
I think that the controls for the gadgets could get frozen, but that's about it.
It could also cause permanent damage by fusing circuits, wires, relays, etc. But that won't effect the armor bonus for damage resistance. Only the bells and whistles and installed weapons. Though one should then argue that a blaster pistol (or lightsaber) could be ionized as well. This is probably not a route down which I wish to walk.

That is why i have had both PC's and enemy troops start carrying DEMP grenades...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That is why i have had both PC's and enemy troops start carrying DEMP grenades...
But then everyone needs to carry monofilament wire, non-powered bayonets or axes, and simple chemical powered firearms for when the DEMP grenades turn all the electronics into junk. Then warfare starts to look like a cross between a medieval battle and the American Civil War or the Western front in WWI. No zipping blaster bolts or humming lightsabers just doesn't seem very scenic in a Star Wars sense to me. Of course YMMV.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In home games i have seen only 2 pc's carry them all the time. others carried them when they knew they were going against power suited enemies or 0-grav troops.
Stormies carried them when they knew the pcs (intel) had power suits.

In sparks, only 8 pcs overall have used them, and the stormies were of the same bent for their use (only when intel shows the enemy has power suits)..
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we need to loosen up the 2D body for equipment rules in certain situations, Mando Armor being one such situation.

IMO the Mandos probably EMP/Ion shielded their armor, and so the armor should roll it's armor bonus (energy) to soak iopn damage (IMO all armor should get it's energy bonus to soak ion damage). Any ion penalties shouldn't reduce the armor ratings, but could mess up any inbuilt enhancements like weapons, marcobinoculars or repulsorlift engines.

I also think that Jedi lightsabers should use thier 5D damage as thier body to resist ion effects. otherwise Jedi are simply too vulnerable to ion greandes. So much so that ion weaponry would have been standard issue for anti-Jedi troops. In D6 Jei rely heaviily on thier lightsabers.

In fact, I'd probably assume that most energy weapons have sufficient shielding against ion attacks equal to thier damage score. Pretty much anything that can throw out a lot of energy should have enough mass and heat sinks to be able to soak up someof the ion energy.

Otherwise, why wouldn't everybody be fielded ion weapinry? If everything was so vulnerable to it, everyone would be toting ion weapons to soften up the enemy.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Otherwise, why wouldn't everybody be fielded ion weapinry? If everything was so vulnerable to it, everyone would be toting ion weapons to soften up the enemy.
And simple knives, swords, and bayonets to defend themselves with when the other guy ionizes their high tech weapons.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
And simple knives, swords, and bayonets to defend themselves with when the other guy ionizes their high tech weapons.

Tradtionally, that has always been the advantage of simple knif\ves and such. There are fewer ways they can go wrong.

But as far as ion weapons go, my group has been finding it difficult to accept that nobdoy does something like build a Faraday cage into the "frame" of a ship or piece of armor. Okay, not every piece-but enough to keep the ion guns honest. As 2E+ RAW has it, Ion guns ans Stun setting are the two cheap ways to take an enemy out of the fight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: