The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[Requesting Aid] Revised Force Lightning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> [Requesting Aid] Revised Force Lightning Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: [Requesting Aid] Revised Force Lightning Reply with quote

I'm not terribly happy with Force Lightning, RAW. I've been doing a lot of revising of Force Powers, but for some reason I'm banging my head against a mental brick wall for this one - writer's block, no doubt.
(Side note, I searched but didn't find anything on anyone else addressing this, or at least not these points, so forgive me if I'm unknowingly stepping on someone else!)

So here's my beef: Judging by the effects observed in AotC and RotJ, Force Lightning doesn't seem to cause a sudden burst of damage (ala a blaster bolt) so much as it is a continuing and adjustable deep-frying.
Reading on the SW Technical Commentaries about Darth Vader's injuries and cause of death (I have no particular objection to the data presented there) and observing the effects of Force Lightning in the films, followed by some brief perusal of it in other media, here's my initial conclusion:

Before discussing effects, two or three clear defenses:
1) Lightsaber aids in block
2) Straight control (?) can absorb, or at least deaden the effects, presumably absorb/dissipate comes into this
3?) Alter can overcome and redirect it (aided with Vaapad, apparently)

Effects on targets:
Force lightning isn't so much great at direct damage, but it completely disables a fleshy target with pain and nerve impulse stimulation. Particularly skilled Jedi can overcome this portion of it. It can be maintained for a goodly while.
It can be tuned down to low-grade torture or up to 'I murder you by cooking you with lightning.'
Probably ignores anything short of sealed armor. Probably penetrates sealed armor quite well (if the dark Jedi can disassociate ions without actually being able to see the target - I don't see why not, though perhaps the connection would be disrupted between their hands and the skin? Dark side powers, or at least Force Lightning does, work because of irrational emotional outburts, so it may not be easy to adjust to such a thing on the fly.)
Electrical targets are fried. Darth Vader's cybernetics took a serious beating. Any ungrounded, unshielded electronics are going to be blowing off like fireworks as tons of EM radiation and flying electrons race through them. Grounding/shielding may not even be all that sufficient, given the nature of the Force.
It seems to various possess a great deal of blow-back force to whoever gets hit. Does the lightning grab the person and shove them back, somehow? Is it impacting the air? Or is it actually a telekinetic side effect that can be done at will when you use the power? (A suggestion was that it could be like grabbing an electrical fence - boom!)
Long-term effects: Force Lightning makes your bones light up like a Christmas tree, if it's intense enough. Even for someone like Luke, he suffered crippling bone pain (Truce at Bakura,) even at low intensity, though with Force powers/the miracles of space medicine, he recovered.

Conclusion:
It's clear that Force Lightning is an excellent away to knock down mundanes or Force Users who are unable to resist or block the effects somehow.
My best idea is that Force Lightning produces stacking damage - that is, any overage is stacked together each round, so when the power is released, the final damage is calculated. While it's stacking damage each round, it inflicts various different effects depending on power level. It's possible that with enough power in a single bolt (and lacking resistance on their end), you COULD cook someone alive in a single shot.
I'm spinning my wheels, though - I'm not sure how to adequately construct or balance it in a way that fits those observations.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houes Rules for Force Lightning has been discussed several times - search might turn up some threads.

IIR, one suggestion was to add in the effect of Inflict Pain and then to allow damage to accumulate an additional 1D per round the power is kept up on a target. A second suggestion was that a dark sider could choose to inflict less damage then his maxium so as to draw out the pain while trying to turn the lightsider or so as to just make the torture last longer.

Combining these effects will give you a lot of what you are looking for. You could allow lightsaber parry to give a bonus to resist the power and use alter (or some new power that Yoda never taught Luke) to redirect.
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are running the game? If your just a player SHUT UP AND DO WHAT YER GM WANTS!

If you’re a GM, ask yourself what you want it to do. If you wanted to say that it knocks out perception and dexterity which is why Luke was rolling around on the ground like an idiot, make it so sir! Wanna say instant mortal wound stun effect, have at. You could say it starts pumping you with dark side points and then make a bunch of rolls like they are going to loose the character but ham it up like your frustrated with your rolls. All they have to do is accept the dark side and yer in like Flynn but as long as they resist you fill their heads with dead puppies and cold pancakes. It’s a game man, a very very flexible game.

Cheers
DS
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where i see it is that with all powers, the jedi using it can call for less damage than max, which gives the "i torture you/don't fry you in one bolt' effect we see.
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Houes Rules for Force Lightning has been discussed several times - search might turn up some threads.

I'm absolutely positive you're correct (it's such an obvious thing to have done), but I did check. I checked again (and went a lot deeper in the search histories, and used more search terms this time) but didn't find any which, I'll admit, may just make me blind.
If I am missing it, someone can feel free to post a link to the thread.

Downstrike wrote:
I assume you are running the game? If your just a player SHUT UP AND DO WHAT YER GM WANTS!

I am, but - really, you say that to your players? Huh. I'll just leave that one aside. On to the more substantive points you raised in the rest of your post:
Well, obviously I can make it do whatever I want as a GM, but what am I running here, a freeform game? I want ideas for guidelines, I've already laid out the observable phenomena of the power, which I feel do not mesh with the published power. If I were running a freeform game this would be a snap and I wouldn't be asking. Very Happy

Bren wrote:
IIR, one suggestion was to add in the effect of Inflict Pain and then to allow damage to accumulate an additional 1D per round the power is kept up on a target. A second suggestion was that a dark sider could choose to inflict less damage then his maxium so as to draw out the pain while trying to turn the lightsider or so as to just make the torture last longer.

Combining these effects will give you a lot of what you are looking for. You could allow lightsaber parry to give a bonus to resist the power and use alter (or some new power that Yoda never taught Luke) to redirect.

Inflict Pain, hmm, there's an interesting idea. I'll have to work out the cumulative damage portion a bit, might be worth looking into.
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jachra wrote:
Downstrike wrote:

I am, but - really, you say that to your players? Huh.

Inflict Pain, hmm, there's an interesting idea. I'll have to work out the cumulative damage portion a bit, might be worth looking into.[/quote]

I do if you are a player looking for outside resolution. If I were to have any of my players say they found some sort of resolution online, I would have them run the game from now on out or quit my game....unless it is a good idea [i may be a fool but not a total fool].

But the comment seems to hurt my pride and distract from my primary question. What do you want it to do? If inflict pain is it, prob resolved. If not, what do you see going on in RotJ?

Cheers
DS
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously not, I was referencing that Inflict Pain was an interesting way to look at it. I listed the phenomena I'd like to see represented in game terms in an appreciable way, I'm having some trouble coming up with adequate rules however. Inflict Pain provides some useful advice on how to accomplish one part of that (the way lightning sears your flesh in a torturous fashion.)
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downstrike wrote:
Hmmm.... Rolling Eyes ...no, on second thought, I will just leave that one alone as well.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Where i see it is that with all powers, the jedi using it can call for less damage than max, which gives the "i torture you/don't fry you in one bolt' effect we see.

IMO, the only thing missing from the RAW is a rule allowing Force Lightning to inflict Stun damage (in the form of intense pain).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here and here for past threads.
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jachra wrote:
I'm not terribly happy with Force Lightning, RAW.

crmcneill wrote:
So, I have issues with the RAW version of Force Lightning

Is it bad that I find it funny we picked such similar words and phrasing in our first sentences?

Regarding the second one, I did notice electric judgement - I think the defining difference would be that Force Lightning is a 'trick,' so to speak.
As in, the Dark Jedi is not, in fact, consciously deciding to separate positive and negative charges and create an arc of electricity through a gap between the source and target - she's putting all her rage and desire to harm and kill the target together, and the resulting ionization is the manifestation of that rage.

The Jedi, on the other hand, deliberately creates (even if she only understands it intuitively) a separation of charges in order to create an electrical spark. The idea that electricity is inherently evil is absurd even in the context of Star Wars - it's emotions letting you say 'rargh, die in a fire!' versus the studied meditation of the light side

But that's pure fluff for the most part (and relevant to gaining DSPs or not.)

So regarding the first, more substantive one:
A) The cumulative damage is probably the most clever addition, definitely going to work with that and see how it goes. Possibly higher levels of Alter let you ramp up the cumulation faster? That might be unneeded, though
B) Thinking about propulsive force - I did a bit of reading on electrical injuries, Direct Current essentially causes a sudden spasm of the muscles that sends you flying back from whatever it is that you were touching (which is why DC is less dangerous than AC - alternating current causes you to continue gripping the source, which is why it causes on average about 3 times as much harm as DC and is so much more lethal.) Another idea is that you can apply a small telekinetic effect - I dunno, though, I only really saw Anakin get chucked back with Force Lightning that one time in AotC, but it would be useful for a villain (or falling Jedi) to have.
C) Inflict Pain automatic. That's easy enough.
D) All cybernetics and electronics on the target are subject to damage every round, in excess of what the character is receiving, unless they are sufficiently grounded and shielded (must be both - EM overload + current?), and low levels of shielding can be overwhelmed if the dark sider can mount enough power. How properly grounded are droids, do you think?
Hitting a droid, effects:
i) Melting of plastic and/or metal, especially joints?
ii) Excess current on ungrounded electronics causes frying
iii) (If EM radiation is also a problem) unshielded electronics suffer induction.
iv) Anything flammable on the target that is affected will probably light up, burns from ignited clothing are actually a common cause of injury from electrical accidents.
E) The only reason I can see Perception being relevant is if somehow even non-Jedi had some latent force capability - which, technically, they do, but it never seems to protect them against things like that. It's possible that if the Dark Jedi in question has such pathetic control over the Force he can't overcome that basic defense, then what good is he? Honestly, I'm not sure whether to dump that or not, food for thought. (I should note that, technically, there's no difference between someone stimulating your nerves to feel like burning and someone burning your nerves - you wouldn't feel the pain either way if your nerves there were damaged. Realistically speaking, willpower can only do so much to reduce that, too, so for varying levels of realism you may want to take that into consideration.))

Oh, also, F) For some reason enjoys conducting through enough layers of flesh to pass through bone (and if I remember right, bone even has a mild piezoelectric effect - oh lordy, that's not a good sign with that much current). Injuries inflicted by Force Lightning take longer to heal without good medical care.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jachra wrote:
E) The only reason I can see Perception being relevant is if somehow even non-Jedi had some latent force capability - which, technically, they do, but it never seems to protect them against things like that. It's possible that if the Dark Jedi in question has such pathetic control over the Force he can't overcome that basic defense, then what good is he? Honestly, I'm not sure whether to dump that or not, food for thought.

I can think of two other reasons.

1) Drama - if Perception matters than using a FP would allow a character with a good perception to possibly avoid damage for a round vs a low level Dark Jedi. The idea of someone like Han Solo being able to resist Force Lightning (not from the Emperor or Darth Vader, but from some no-name, low level, Dark Sider) at a dramatically appropriate time seems much more interesting than Han is utterly helpless no matter what the level of drama or criticality of the action.

2) Play Balance - treating all non-Force users or even all non-Force sensitives as utterly helpless before even the weakest manifestation of the Dark Side seems unbalanced. Few characters will have a Perception above 4D so allowing Perception to oppose force skills has little or no effect on powerful Jedi or Sith, but does prevent weak Jedi or Sith from automatically effecting all non-Force users/non-Force sensitives. While play balance is not part of simulating the films, it is wise to remember that Star Wars the Roleplaying Game is first a game and second a genre emulation.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about this for a poss new write up.

Force Lightning
Control and Alter skill
Control roll 10 + target's perception (or control) roll
Alter 5 + target's control or perception roll

This power is one of the few dark side powers that are an active manifestation of the dark emotions of rage and hate, in that the dark sider's anger literally forms up blackened lightning bolts that shoot from their hands to the target(s).
Someone so hit (power successfully used) takes 3d base damage. This damage increases cumulatively each round the power is maintained based on the difference between the target number needed and the roll to activate (Control side)
Cont beats diff by
1-6, adds +1 pip per round maintained
7-14, adds +2 pips per round maintained
15-21, adds +1d per round maintained
22-28, adds +1d+1 per round maintained
29+ adds +1d+2 per round maintained.
In addition to the damage, target's are affected by intense pain as if the power Inflict Pain had been successfully used (cannot perform any actions due to pain as long as power is maintained, and 1 round after)..
Lastly due to the kinetic impact of the lightning, targets are hurled back 2 meters per full D of alter the dark jedi has.

WARNING this power causes an immediate gaining of a dark side point for activating it, and per round maintained.

Note: Force users who are targeted can substitute their light saber skill for their control roll to deflect it, but if they miss, they GET NO control roll to try and suck any up.
Jedi who are also masters of Vappad, may instead substitute their Alter skill for their Control roll, but need to make an immediate Willpower roll (difficulty of 20) or gain a dark side point themselves, due to the fueling of emotions.

How's that?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably just go with a simpler add +1D damage per round the power is maintained. The GM can decide whether to require a new damage and resistance roll made each round or whether to track the totals rolled the first round and add +1D to the attacker's total. Once the attacker's total equals or exceeds the defender's total - FAZOOK!!- defender takes damage.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force lightning is definitely tricky to implement cleanly into the D6 system. Dooku and Palpatine seem to favor this power while Vader seems to favor the choke. I might speculate that force lightning is more effective against force users than choking is since the choke seems to be used against non force users, while lightning seems to be used against force users.

I would also tend to think that the attacker's skill roll would determine the potential for knock back. Yoda got knocked back as did Anakin.

If we are going to allow a lightsaber to deflect it, I would be much more comfortable using a reaction skill to oppose the control roll (so force lightning could, in theory, be dodged). This way the lightsaber skill can appropriately be used as a reaction. If the control roll fails, the power simply misses.

As for damage, I might say that any damage more aerious than stun generates the crippling effect we see on film. Damage stromg enough to incapacitate (mortally wound?) generates the knock back effect.

As for how to calculate damage, alter vs. strength seems apprriate, with the option to absorb/dissipate if the power is known. An additional control roll allows the defender to redirect just like lightsaber combat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: