The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

DSP for teacher-student relationship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> DSP for teacher-student relationship Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: DSP for teacher-student relationship Reply with quote

OK in all three editions (1e, 2e, 2e R&E) a student who has a DSP passes it on to a teacher, who is teaching the ways of the force.
BUT why is it that the reverse is also not true? Why does not a student gain one from studying under a teacher with a DSP?

Who here DOES do that?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I don’t do that.

Here’s why I think the designers didn’t include that rule.

(1) Game balance: (i) A master is in a position of power to choose to teach or not teach any given student. The student typically does not have a choice of masters to select from. In addition, the master may be able to detect (via Sense Force or Sense Path) that a student has a DSP. So the master has a way of avoiding a DSP by teaching the wrong person. A student is much less likely to have that power or to be able to use it successfully against his master. So from a game balance perspective it is more fair to put this duty on the master rather than the student since often a student could be caught or tricked by a Dark Sider into accepting training leading to the player too easily losing his or her character. (ii) Players are more likely to be students than masters (at least in the Civil War era of the original WEG rules) so this limits training for students who have gained a DSP. Their master will refuse to teach them until they have atoned. This slows Force skill acquisition for those that succumb to the Dark Side - since they have to take time to attone - which is in keeping with the slow growth rate for new Jedi that seems implied in places in the WEG rules.

(2) Morality: The master has a greater duty and responsibility - to the student and to the Force - than does the student. So it is fair to put this burden on the master rather than the student. Also since the student often has no way to determine if their master has a DSP - especially if the master chose to resist any detection - the student would be assigned moral blame for an unknowing act.

(3) EU Precedent: A number of characters have been taught by masters who have DSPs. A classic example would be Mara Jade. Since her training was done by the Emperor she would have accumulated 1 DSP for every skill increase or power he taught her and would have turned to the Dark Side long before Heir to the Empire.

(4) The GM is not your Enemy: The GM should not be trying to beat, trick, or crock the players or their PCs. Nor should the GM be running a railroad. Adding a rule like this seems like a cruel GM trick and a cheap railroad to the Dark Side. As a GM, I would not want to do this to a player and as a player I would be uncomfortable with a GM that intentionally sets up a character for failure. I don’t see any benefit to encouraging that sort of dynamic nor in adding this to the rules. Frankly I also don’t see the problem or abuse that this rule is supposed to address. Moreover I think this eliminates some interesting opportunities for drama and roleplaying (see below).

Personally, I don't like this rule since it penalizes the character for actions that the character has no certain way of knowing are wrong. It also removes interesting drama of having the young Jedi template character learn from a struggling Failed Jedi – who, according to the RAW, starts with a DSP. And in fact both templates mention a teacher student relationship under “connections to other characters” so it seems very clear that the designers intended the Failed Jedi to be a teacher to the Young Jedi without subjecting the Young Jedi to an inexorable slide down the Dark Side.

I would rather make the cost of training (with) someone with a DSP less cut and dried, but more insidious, e.g.
  1. The DSP teacher could teach DSP powers to the student so that the student can "know their enemy" but this new power may now tempt the unwary student to use the power.
  2. The DSP student may be rash his actions always in a hurry and pushing to learn and try new powers or even to discover or invent (dangerous) powers on their own. During the Empire period, the rash student may draw the notice of Jedi hunters to both student and master. And in any period the master will now need to try to undo any harm from his student's rash actions as well as trying to persuade his student back to the path of the Light.

I’ll also note in passing that this topic has come up before – [ulr= http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3316&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15]here[/url].
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

(4) The GM is not your Enemy: The GM should not be trying to beat, trick, or crock the players or their PCs. Nor should the GM be running a railroad. Adding a rule like this seems like a cruel GM trick and a cheap railroad to the Dark Side. As a GM, I would not want to do this to a player and as a player I would be uncomfortable with a GM that intentionally sets up a character for failure. I don’t see any benefit to encouraging that sort of dynamic nor in adding this to the rules. Frankly I also don’t see the problem or abuse that this rule is supposed to address. Moreover I think this eliminates some interesting opportunities for drama and roleplaying (see below).

Personally, I don't like this rule since it penalizes the character for actions that the character has no certain way of knowing are wrong. It also removes interesting drama of having the young Jedi template character learn from a struggling Failed Jedi – who, according to the RAW, starts with a DSP. And in fact both templates mention a teacher student relationship under “connections to other characters” so it seems very clear that the designers intended the Failed Jedi to be a teacher to the Young Jedi without subjecting the Young Jedi to an inexorable slide down the Dark Side.

very well said.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a master passing off at least some of the taint through their teaching ????

That said all of Bren's point are good reason not to swamp the character with DSP. However like he says DSP in training (both student and/or teacher) should be insidious. A DP may be to harsh, but what about a pip every once in a while?

Forgive all spelling errors.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
What about a master passing off at least some of the taint through their teaching ????

THat should probably be handed as tests of judgment for the student. Like when Luke studies under Horus C'both in the Thrawn books. Jorus teaches Luke things that Luke has doubts about, and ultimately Luke realaized that Jorus has succumbed tot he Dark Side.

What I would do is have the teacher give the student an task that is evil. Then run it. When the student reaches the point where he is about to do evil, I'd give him the standard warning about a DSP, and ley him choose between good or obedience.

BTW< I am kinda woking on a idea to revise DSP. Basically my idea would be that they would be easier to get, but that you would need more to turn, and you wouldn't roll as often. So the dark side could sneak up on you.

I'm, thinking that you'd only roll when you actively did eveil, and the other things that gave you DSP wouldn't require a roll. So a PC would be more tempted to take the free Force points from the darkside, since they could worry about the DSPs, "later".

I'm also thinking that rather than turn all at once, the character could have some sort of Jekyll & Hyde episodes where their emotions run away with them and they do something bad, and find it harder to resist the temptation to act selfishly. This would open the door to picking up more DSPs while "Acting out" and ultimately push the character towards being consumed by dark side.

I think such an approach would make the dark side more tempting that is is now. It's supposed to be seductive, but since you lose your character the moment you turn it ends up being about as seductive as Jabba the Hutt.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

THat should probably be handed as tests of judgment for the student. Like when Luke studies under Horus C'both in the Thrawn books. Jorus teaches Luke things that Luke has doubts about, and ultimately Luke realaized that Jorus has succumbed tot he Dark Side.

What I would do is have the teacher give the student an task that is evil. Then run it. When the student reaches the point where he is about to do evil, I'd give him the standard warning about a DSP, and ley him choose between good or obedience.

Well, I haven't read those books (like I said on my intro, I'm way out of my depth when it comes to the EU), but it sounds good for an experienced Jedi. However, what about for a young inexperienced user?

Quote:

BTW< I am kinda woking on a idea to revise DSP. Basically my idea would be that they would be easier to get, but that you would need more to turn, and you wouldn't roll as often. So the dark side could sneak up on you.

I'm, thinking that you'd only roll when you actively did eveil, and the other things that gave you DSP wouldn't require a roll. So a PC would be more tempted to take the free Force points from the darkside, since they could worry about the DSPs, "later".

I'm also thinking that rather than turn all at once, the character could have some sort of Jekyll & Hyde episodes where their emotions run away with them and they do something bad, and find it harder to resist the temptation to act selfishly. This would open the door to picking up more DSPs while "Acting out" and ultimately push the character towards being consumed by dark side.

I think such an approach would make the dark side more tempting that is is now. It's supposed to be seductive, but since you lose your character the moment you turn it ends up being about as seductive as Jabba the Hutt

I like that. Especially the 'tempting' part of having DSP slowly stacking up and then when the do evil they are suprised by the negitave the have to over come.

On a side note what is a good atonement process ??? not just the mechanics, but in game play?

Forgive all spelling errors.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: DSP for teacher-student relationship Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
OK in all three editions (1e, 2e, 2e R&E) a student who has a DSP passes it on to a teacher, who is teaching the ways of the force.
BUT why is it that the reverse is also not true? Why does not a student gain one from studying under a teacher with a DSP?

Who here DOES do that?

...Sounds to me like it's an attempt to let a would-be teacher realize that a student's action reflect directly upon who taught him/her in the first place. I never used that rule (I would assume people would be aware not to follow Kenobi's example, & most games I ran never had many Force Users, making it a moot point...& struck me as dumb to start with!).
...As to why the reverse isn't true...? A student is not their teacher, & should lack what gave the teacher the DSP in the first place. A perceptive student may well Sense the dark side, & thereby be on guard for it. The teacher may make extra effort to resist its pull while teaching--teaching the pupil by example (i.e., giving a first-hand example of why the student should not go toying with the dark side) & showing the virtue of patience--figuring 50% at least increased training time for any Force Skills/Powers.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:

, but it sounds good for an experienced Jedi. However, what about for a young inexperienced user?

He would be more vulnerable in the hands of a evil master. He'd probably be tricked somewhat, but the player would still notice when his character is about to do something that would earn him a DSP.

So if the master tells a padawan that it is okay to torture somebody because the information he has will save the lives of others, the player will still get heads up when the GM tells him that if he does it he will get a DSP.

Quote:

On a side note what is a good atonement process ??? not just the mechanics, but in game play?

Well, for started they have to show and play it like their character is remorseful. If they don't think that they did anything wrong and just want to get rid of the DSP, it doesn't count.

They should probably be extra careful about doing the right thing, spend time mediating, any generally being extra good. They should try to repair whatever damage their misdeed has brought about, as much as possible.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So if the master tells a padawan that it is okay to torture somebody because the information he has will save the lives of others, the player will still get heads up when the GM tells him that if he does it he will get a DSP.

Which imo kinda defeats the subtle teaching to lure them towards it if all it takes is the gm OOC giving the player a heads up.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which imo kinda defeats the subtle teaching to lure them towards it if all it takes is the gm OOC giving the player a heads up.

Somewhat unavoidable. A GM can't just take somebody's character away without the player being warned and realizing that his character is doing wrong. The character might not realize it, but the player has to know for things to be fair.

But, my approach to solving this problem isto change the DSP mechanics slightly, as I mentioed above. With those house rules the player would get DSPs but wouldn't loose his character all at once. So he can decide how to deal with his DSP problem later on. That would make getting DSPs a bit more acceptable since some players will no doubt rationalize them away as being unimportant, or a neccessary evil due to circumstances. Others will take it as wa warning sign and react differently.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Somewhat unavoidable. A GM can't just take somebody's character away without the player being warned and realizing that his character is doing wrong. The character might not realize it, but the player has to know for things to be fair.

But, my approach to solving this problem isto change the DSP mechanics slightly, as I mentioed above. With those house rules the player would get DSPs but wouldn't loose his character all at once. So he can decide how to deal with his DSP problem later on. That would make getting DSPs a bit more acceptable since some players will no doubt rationalize them away as being unimportant, or a neccessary evil due to circumstances. Others will take it as wa warning sign and react differently.

That's what I like about interjecting Willpower or something similar into the equation. It isn't a perfect fix by any means, but it does at least interject the character's capabilities into the equation, rather than making it entirely dependent on what the player wants the character to do. A Willpower failure resulting in a DSP seems more realistic to me; I think we have all done thoughtlessly cruel things to others that we regret later, but seemed appropriate in the moment. So much of what we do in gaming is in reaction to the roll of the dice, and to me, the randomness of a dice roll is a better way to simulate knee-jerk reactions that we later regret.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

What I am thinking of is:
1) Raise the number of DSP needed to turn completely to the dark side.

2) Let DSP accumulate, but only roll when the Jedi actually actively does evil. So if they use the dark side or a dark side power for a good purpose they get the DSP but they don't risk turning. They do however, start racking up DSPs which will come back to haunt them later on.

3) When they do do eveil and make a roll (and Willpower might be good here), and fail, they act out. Basically they do whatever selfish thing will get them what they want, and are not in complete control of their actions. Later on they will calm down and recover, but by them they might have (mostly likely will have) done more evil and rack up more DSP.

4) Eventually if they don;t do something about the DSP they will turn completely and lose thier character. Very much a Jekyll & Hyde thing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how high are you going to raise the DSP total to before someone turns?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
3) When they do do eveil and make a roll (and Willpower might be good here), and fail, they act out.

Just to be clear, I hope you aren't implying that a character with high enough Willpower could commit evil acts and avoid the resulting DSP, because I would have to disagree with you there.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Just to be clear, I hope you aren't implying that a character with high enough Willpower could commit evil acts and avoid the resulting DSP, because I would have to disagree with you there.

No, the way I'm thinking is that you still get the DSP you just don;t turn (yet). So if you keep doing evil you will keep getting more and more corrupted until you finally do turn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: