The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

yet another lightsaber variant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> yet another lightsaber variant Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Huh? What rule? If you're talking about different weapons, then, no, I haven't.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I was directing the question to the topic in general, with regards to replacing the RAW for Melee and Brawling Combat with a similar system.

Quote:
The only problem I have with making it an advanced skill is that it would stack with the lightsaber skill, so... if you look at the way advanced skills work: you add the (A) skill to the base skill when using the base skill (in this case, swinging a lightsaber). And when doing something that requires the (A) skill (swinging the whip), you roll only the dice you have in the (A) skill.

True. Still, if they're going to group all the various kinds of melee weapons into one category (no matter how diverse the weapons are), maybe Lightsaber should be renamed Lightweapons...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, perhaps you're right. But I feel like that would cheapen the lightwhip, if you were to include it into your game. It seems to me like the idea of the lightwhip is supposed to add a degree of mystique and exoticism to the character carrying it. For that reason alone, I'd make it it's own skill.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking over the rules you posted because my Jedi game has started back up again Bren, though I haven't looked through all 10 pages, I was just wondering if we could add some optional status effects that a duelist can opt for instead of a flat damage roll.

9-12 Glancing blow. Roll damage normally with max result: Wounded. Or, hampering strike. The attacker disables either the off-hand arm, or either leg to impede his opponent for the next several rounds. A successful control pain roll negates with standard -1D penalty (worth it if say your leg gets gouged and your movement is massively impaired.)

13-15 Solid blow. Roll damage normally with a maximum result of incapacitated. Or, Serious hampering strike. The attacker strikes a more serious debilitating blow to his opponent's off-hand arm, or either leg to impede him for the remainder of the duel, or can opt for a glancing blow on his opponent's saber arm for a -2D penalty to all lightsaber checks until control pain is used with standard -1D MAP. (Again, worth it if you want to keep yourself up in the fight with your normal dueling arm.)

16+ Serious blow. Roll damage normally with any wound result possible. Or, disarmed. The attacker has disarmed his opponent, this can be in several ways: The defender's lightsaber is knocked away 1D meters, the defender's lightsaber has been sliced through, or the defender's hand has been severed and he'll be needing a new one.

Just some additional options to consider adding in, this gives both player and GM some added tricks that their devious duelist may want to use in place of a standard wound.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I was looking over the rules you posted because my Jedi game has started back up again Bren, though I haven't looked through all 10 pages, I was just wondering if we could add some optional status effects that a duelist can opt for instead of a flat damage roll.
This was by no means a heavily tested system and currently I am playing with something a bit different than this system. But off the top of my head, if you want to add non-damage options - do so.

What thing I looked at was adding additional columns so a character could choose to strike for damage (the first column) or could instead try for a result from one of the other columns. You could make the hampering moves a second column. This allows options, but forces the character to decide before hand whether to do damage or to go for a special result.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might not be a bad idea.

So, Damage, hampering moves, what other sorts of outcomes might one want in a duel? There could be a column for trying to frustrate your opponent. Dark siders might use it to try to aggravate opponents into feeding their darker emotions.

I don't know, I was just trying to think of any other sorts of goals that someone may want that aren't covered by either damage or hampering. Does anyone have any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: