The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alternate Ship Damage Rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Alternate Ship Damage Rule Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my last gaming sesssion, I discored a "bug" with this idea.

We all assued that ships can take infintie numbers of Light Damage hits, but that isn't quite true. According to the damage dables, once a ship takes Heavy or Severe damage, even Light hits get kicked up.

For instrance, if a ship has taken Heavy damage, and gets hit again for Light Damage, the hit gets bounced up to Severe. Shocked

BTW, I don't like the 2R&E RAW on this.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
During my last gaming sesssion, I discored a "bug" with this idea.

We all assued that ships can take infintie numbers of Light Damage hits, but that isn't quite true. According to the damage dables, once a ship takes Heavy or Severe damage, even Light hits get kicked up.

For instrance, if a ship has taken Heavy damage, and gets hit again for Light Damage, the hit gets bounced up to Severe. Shocked

BTW, I don't like the 2R&E RAW on this.
Good catch on the RAW. You are correct as to the RAW. I don't like that either. I think you missed this in the second paragraph of my proposed rules mod though.
Quote:
Per the RAW, a ship can be lightly damaged any number of times. Therefore, light damage does not increase the severity of other types of damage e.g. heavy or severe damage (this is a change) also an additional heavy damage result does not cause a severely damage ship to be destroyed.
I added emphasis in the quote.

My intention is that ships can take an indefinite number of light damage hits. Each light damage hit just kills or damages more and more systems.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my bad. I did miss that bit. Embarassed

I think what threw meis that I didn't expect to see the Lights get kicked up in the RAW.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I think what threw meis that I didn't expect to see the Lights get kicked up in the RAW.
Yeah. Our Rebels pounded on a couple of VSDs in the past which allowed us to playtest the damage for cap ships. Then we had a moderate size fleet battle that was basically narrated. But as a climax to our campaign, I ran a big battle with about 45 capital ships and maybe a couple hundred starfighters. I rolled out a lot of the combat before play and then let things unfold for the players - only rolling the encounters they were actually involved in during play. During all that I developed the idea that infinite light damage was better. It just seems stupid to have a few light damage shots accumulate and up the level and blow up a Star Destroyer.

To me it makes more sense that small vessels may be able to whittle a Star Destroyer down to combat uselessness, but to kill it you need a big ship killer weapon - like another big ship or cap scale missiles at a vessel that is dead in space.
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be interested in this, put together by me and some friends.

Makes larger craft a great deal more durable over all. In order to destroy a craft, you either need to hit it with a LOT of damage at once, or pound down its vital systems (which leaves it a hulk or blows it if it's a hypermatter reactor). Hilarious consequence of cargo ships being able to take a lot of hits that only damage cargo spaces instead of the bulk of the ship, at option (an idea I based off of compartmentalized cargo vessels surviving a great deal of hits that would sink other vessels.)

(Still somewhat incomplete, needs a little fiddling in some sections, and Ablation of shields and armor needs to be sorted out...)
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This system reminds me of a system I came up with. Instead of "heavy damage" levels, I actually used it as "Destroyed" levels. So fighters had 1, transports had 2, bigger starfighter scale ships had 3.
Small capital ships had 2-3, bigger ships had 4-5, star destroyers had 6-7.

All damage rolls worked normally, it's just that once you got a "destroyed" hit it didn't blow up a ship in the capital ship. The bigger ships lasted longer.

So I can see this working.
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One change I might see doing even here is that Structure might be TOO good a target to pass up. I put it near the middle of the bell curve as one of the 'least desirable thing to hit', but it's one of the ways you can get a confirmed kill...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: