The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fate as an Attribute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Fate as an Attribute Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downstrike wrote:
...pool dedicated to just getting lucky...
My brain would isolate that portion of the sentence! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

I guess that is the kind of thing a group of brash pilots and gamblers might have... Laughing

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
An alternative would be to simply allow characters to spend CPs to inflict penalties against the rolls of other characters that directly affect them. For example, returning to the Chewbacca vs. the stormtrooper scenario, rather than a completely separate Fate attribute, Chewie could've taken a debilitating hit from the stormie, but the player controlling Chewie could choose to spend CPs at the standard rate (1 cp = 1D) which are then rolled, totaled and retroactively applied as a penalty to the trooper's shots. I actually prefer this method, as it has essentially the same effect as my original proposal and is less complicated to enact (as it is nothing more than an expansion of the existing rules for CPs).

Arn't they already spending cp on their dodges/soaks, which do affect the enemies chance of taking them down?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because there are situations (specifically surprise attacks) where the character is not permitted a reaction roll, such as Dodge.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they still get to spend CP for soak rolls.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But they still get to spend CP for soak rolls.

I was going to say that.

Personally I think CPs and FPs are close enough to what you want.

I do have a question, though. What would you roll the Fate attribute against? I think you addressed this but I'm not clear on if it's a check or if you roll versus.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the two, which more closely resembles the on-screen action? Using CPs to soak damage means that the character gets hit by a high powered energy weapon, yet takes no damage. In the other, the intervention of Fate or the Force (as represented by the retroactive CP expenditure by the player) turns a passable shot with an abysmal miss, and the character again takes no damage.

I agree that it is a bit overpowering to use this rule and damage soak, so I would suggest treating the soak CP as a points pool that can be applied against either the hit roll or the damage roll or split between the two as the player feels appropriate.

As far as Fate as an attribute, it was little more than a vague concept to represent a nebulous concept. I've backed away from it for a variety of reasons, mostly because the CP rule does everything I envisioned without requiring major revisions to the RAW and all the character templates.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I liked abound the Bond RPG, characters didn7t spend points to "soak" bullet wounds, they spent points to turn hits into misses.

Rather than bumping dodge, points were spent to reduce the opponent's attack roll. turning what was hit into a near miss. That would match up with the Fate/Screen Imunity idea. The stormtroopers suddenly can't shoot straight and miss a lot becuase the heroes spend points to mess up thier attack rolls. And that matches up with what we see on screen.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. I can still see damage soak being applicable in the SWU for undodgable damage, such as from vehicle crashes or explosions, though.

Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Downstrike wrote:
...pool dedicated to just getting lucky...
My brain would isolate that portion of the sentence! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

I guess that is the kind of thing a group of brash pilots and gamblers might have... Laughing

TeeHee....Save the CPs for the roll to get out of cleaning the pool
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
That is what I liked abound the Bond RPG, characters didn7t spend points to "soak" bullet wounds, they spent points to turn hits into misses.

Rather than bumping dodge, points were spent to reduce the opponent's attack roll. turning what was hit into a near miss. That would match up with the Fate/Screen Imunity idea. The stormtroopers suddenly can't shoot straight and miss a lot becuase the heroes spend points to mess up thier attack rolls. And that matches up with what we see on screen.

But they would have to have a lot of CP's to do that...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why you only spend them at critical moments. Like how they already get used in the RAW.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

But they would have to have a lot of CP's to do that...

A character only needed to spend points for the shots that hit. Also, in Bond spending a Hero point shifted the Quality Rating (QR) of the hit. About half the hits were only QR 4, and so could be turned into a miss with just 1 Hero Point.

crmcneill wrote:
That's why you only spend them at critical moments. Like how they already get used in the RAW.

Exactly, but even more so. Since Hero Points NEVER came back players tended to spend them much more reluctantly that players spend Force Points and Character points in D6 Star Wars. Characters could earn more during play, but they were more highly prized. Players had to decide when to spend points and when to accept failure.

It worked out great in the game, and would work out great for Star Wars too. A PC who had racked up a bunch of HPs could go on a power trip and pretty much dictate his rolls and control the flow of evens for a time, but pay for it with his Hero Points.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but IMO, a key component to any house rule is ease of integration with the RAW. SWU characters already have to balance character progression with character preservation when it comes to CPs, and this would simply add a new facet to that rule. Adding Hero points would necessitate making much larger changes and adding an entirely new rule, rather than simply expanding on an existing one.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
True, but IMO, a key component to any house rule is ease of integration with the RAW. SWU characters already have to balance character progression with character preservation when it comes to CPs, and this would simply add a new facet to that rule. Adding Hero points would necessitate making much larger changes and adding an entirely new rule, rather than simply expanding on an existing one.

I wouldn't add a new type of points to spend. I was thinking more of expanding the way CPs could be spent. Letting a character spend a CP to reduce an attack that would hit to below the character's previously rolled dodge (or base difficulty).

So if Cheiwie gets ambushed by a Stormtrooper at short rifle range the player could spend CPs to turn the hit into a miss.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this rule swing both ways, to where NPCs also could spend them in that manner?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: