The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How many exp per session?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How many exp per session?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: How many exp per session? Reply with quote

An average session in our group is usually between 8 and 11 hours long with the usual breaks for food, smokes and whatnot... We don't have too much action involved (maybe every third session or so) but there are a lot of "detective plots" and such that take up quite some time to resolve. I would like to know how you would reward the players, exp-wise.

In our game it averages between 1 and 3 per session. Is this what you think is practical or would you award more/less exp?
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do about seven flat. That's alot I know, but our group usually gives out alot of EXP in general because we're students. Since we're sort of semester based and like to have a new campaign each semester, we like to get characters leveled in a few months rather than say, a year.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this really depends on how often your group plays. If you play every week and get awarded 10cp per session, the character advancement would be too fast in my opinion. When my group played this often, we awarded an average of 5cps. Now, when we started playing more seldomly, like once a month or so, we started awrding an average of 10cps, otherwise character advancement would be too slow and frustrating.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks does it, with a base 7 for a module. +3 max for the awarding for best rping (voted by the other players). Some modules even have it spelled out what the awards are for... like 5cp for completing the mission, +1 for those who did not ..... and +1 for those who did >>>.. and so on.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The star wars advised and expanded listed as much as 23 or so for a good 8-10 hours of gaming. This is also useful if you don't game too often.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we play around once every two weeks with a few breaks here and there cause people can't show up. I personally am beginning to think 1-3 exp per session is a tad low... (3 only if we got a major goal completed) but currently our campaign is tending towards more humor then drama anyway... =p

In my own game I usually award 4-5 per session, but we don't play quite as long (usually 4-5 hours) and (unfortunately) meet even fewer times. I try to get a lot of action into the games though because with its fast paced combat system, and movie background, Star Wars is lending itself to a fast-paced game with a bunch of combat and chase scenes.

Thanks for your input however!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give 5 for showing up and staying the whole game. 10 for having an average effect on the game, and 15 for several positive outcomes or clever thinking regardless of end dice rolls.
I almost gave someone 20cp, but they ruined their own plan at the last second, dropping them down to 15.

After 10 sessions, this gives an average of 100cp per person. That sounds like a lot, until you start trying to use it. Your still advancing only a few pips in skills. And I double CP spent for advancing skills without teaching aids. The characters hardly ever seek a teacher, and despite me telling the players they can teach each other skills until the die codes match... they don't teach each other. The 10-15 cp they usually get they really need since they are forcing themselves to pay more for advancement.
to finance my 'vette!
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We game for 4 hours once a week.

There are 3 characters. After the game, they plead thier case for CPs. Some one will get 5, someone will get 6 and someone will get 7. Promotes competition in good game playing.

Of course, if they were all stellar, I give them all the max, but this is very rare.

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it should be based on the ammount you play. I personally like slow and steady advancement. I think between 5 and 10 CP's is just right for a 7 or 8 hour game session. For longer or shorter sessions adjust accordingly.

EDIT: This is for TOTAL CP's awarded. this includes CP's for role playing, coming up with good ideas and being involved in the game, and for succeeding in the mission.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And I personally always loved playing the marathon sessions... you know, slip by Taco Bell for the 10 Pack Tacos to go, a two liter of Coke, and I'm ready to play for a good 12-13 hours or more. If more, though, better have some munchies! Laughing
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a lot of marathon games when I was in the Army overseas. We'd stop at MacDonalds or Burger King (they had them in Germany at the time, back in the 1980's) and get a giant pile of cheeseburgers that would sustain us the whole game.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get the chance to roleplay when I was in... my main time was during and after college.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm currently overseas and we game about twice a week. I'd love to do more, but silly things like sleep seem to get in the way. Crazy I know. We have a SWD6 game running now as well as a WFRP game. I don't know if I'll be able to get another game when I return home, but I hope so.

E
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, once you get home, post in the Gaming Groups forum to see if there's people here who are close to you.

And if there's not, there are play by post games you can get into. If you're looking to get into some now (don't think so cuz you need to get sleep at some point...) then PM me. I'll hook you up to some currently running games.
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We'd stop at MacDonalds or Burger King (they had them in Germany at the time, back in the 1980's)

And they still have Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: