The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ex-StormTroopers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ex-StormTroopers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
Quote:
In my campaign I assume the movies are correct and any expanded universe stuff (books, comics, etc) is a rumour - it may or may not be true. Only the director knows for sure.

Funnily enough, I do the exact opposite, at least for the prequel trilogy and the special editions. Any place that the theatrical holy trilogy or previously established EU continuity is contradicted by the prequels or SE's, I throw out the newer continuity, because I think it's crap. Han shot first, Boba Fett is Jaster Mereel, not a clone, Anakin Skywalker was never a whiny brat, etc. Basically I keep my game continuity where it was when West End was still producing the game.

And C-3P0 wasn't built by Anakin - ergo, did not come into the possession of the Lars household twenty years before Owen (not recognising Goldenrod or its designation?) bought it from certain Jawas who were later slaughtered wholesale by those oh-so-precise Tidy Whiteys we're currently discussing? Smile
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Nor was R2 around, since Ben doesn't recognize him in ANH.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are a millions of R2 astromechs, and he didn;t know our old Mr. D2 well enough to recognize him on the spot.

But damn yeah, he knew C-3P0. Why didn't he say "Hey your that protocol droid!" when he saw that he was that protocol droid.

...and what did C-3P0 do on that farm anyway?
to finance my 'vette!
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when (in AotC) Shmi and Goldenrod went to live with Cliegg Lars, presumably 3P0 continued in those "helping out" general services for which Anakin had left it with her.

In TPM, all 3P0 had to be able to do was manipulate machines (anthropid = check,) speak Bocce, and speak the Moisture Farming Droid dialect of Binary to be "hired." So, presumably, Goldenrod would have been a labourer, an overseer of the other droids, and a liaison between Owen and whatever lifeforms speak Bocce.

Which makes this plothole even more vacuous than Leia's remembering her mother (who died in childbirth.) At least that one can be rationalised through Leia's Force-sensitivity. Owen has no such excuse; he (as a young adult in AotC) had to know his father's love for his mother, and thus he had to remember her and many things about her, including her droid. Even after 22 years.

(Obviously, 3P0 would not have recognised Owen, since it seems that zinc-plated dome of its gets reset every time it changes owners.)
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia being force sensitive is why she can remember her mother. Never mind the fact that Luke was born first and is stronger in the force.
Sorry, that is also an un-explainable plot hole.

And I watched ANH today. Seriously, I don;t think George Lucas watched that one, single movie at all, let alone the other two. George Lucas has obviously never seen Star Wars if he made the prequels the way he did.
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
Well there are a millions of R2 astromechs, and he didn;t know our old Mr. D2 well enough to recognize him on the spot.

But d*mn yeah, he knew C-3P0. Why didn't he say "Hey your that protocol droid!" when he saw that he was that protocol droid.

...and what did C-3P0 do on that farm anyway?

It might not even be a case of his not remembering. Perhaps he was simply acting, because there really wasn't a reason to go into all that history. Not at the time they first met, at any rate. Besides, odds are that BOTH droids had had their memories wiped multiple times in the ensuing years, so it was logical for him to assume they wouldn't remember him, and therefore had no real reason to bring their history up.
Darth_rockdawg
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets remeber in the movie you see several droids that look like 3PO and R2. Droids come and go.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, absolutely.

I'm not arguing that OB1 did or did not remember the droids, although I'd have to say that as a Jedi, his mind was most likely still pretty darn sharp. And while 3PO was basically in and out of his life, once Padme gave R2 to Anakin, R2 was pretty much a solid part of OB1's life for a number of years, which makes an argument for him actually remembering the droid- especially given the comfortable, casual banter OB1 and Anakin shared concerning R2 aboard General Grievous' ship at the beginning of EPI III.

But it could easily have gone either way. Wink
themuffinman1201
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that R2 never had his mind wiped because it ROTS Organa tells Wedge to have the protocal droids mind wiped. He never mentioned R2, and in ANH R2 seemed to know who Obi-wan was. He may have had his mind wiped later, but it seems unlikely.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. But in all fairness, he could have been given the planet where OB1 could be found, a general location, and a description of what he probably looked like. I mean, for all we know, OB1 and Bail Organa could have kept in loose contact with one another. Not too likely, to be sure, since they were trying to keep Luke hidden. But there are ways for these things to be accomplished.

Again, not saying this is canon or anything... just hashing out possibilities.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2 was never memory wiped. He played some holos of Anakin & Padme on Coruscant and Mustafar in the Dark Nest trilogy. As a result, Luke & Leia now know who their mother was. I believe some legal action was also begun to lay claim to most of Naboo. Further details are not available since neither child of Skywalker will comment on pending litigation. Laughing
Resh Kaska
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
"Aayla thanked us all, we couldn't look her in the eyes."

Regret seems to be a pretty good motivation to turn. I've done up an old Clonetrooper that "came out of retirement" at the request of an old commander who had joined the Rebellion. He didn't like how things had turned out. There's also the possibility that a defect in a clone meant that Command 66 didn't "take" (giving the clone grearer free will) or that some clones simply didn't receive the order at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: