The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ex-StormTroopers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ex-StormTroopers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
What I found strange in those BF2 narrations is that they give you the notion that all the clones knew right from the beginning that they would end up killling the jedi. I never thought it was that way, I figured Order 66 was something that was subconsciously implanted, an order that would remain latent until the necessary command was given. If all the clones knew and were aware that there would come a time when they would carry out the extermination of the jedi, it would be really hard for none of the jedi to sense something was up. Don't you think?

Maybe, maybe not. It has a lot to do with:
• Was it always on the clones minds, even if they knew about it?
• Did the clones have deep feelings about it that might "bleed" into surrounding surface thoughts a Jedi would casually pick up on.
• Were the Jedi actively scanning the minds of the clones, given that they had every reson the clones were "bred" to be 100% loyal, and if yes, why?
• Weren't the Jedi usually distracted by the battles around them, and unlikely to casually pick up on a random thought of a clone?

There are many more factors to consider, but I feel these raise questions enough. It seems the Jedi are more prone to detect disturbed emotions or thoughts in other Jedi, those they are close too, or force sensitives, so I feel that unless they actively probed a clones mind, they would probably be unaware of Order 66, even if the clone was. Even then, how would the Jedi know what to search for?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got some good points there, Kage. I personally think Order 66 was the lynchpin that triggered a subconscious order set in the clones' minds, but that's just MHO.

I think that the biggest problem with that whole series of scenes was the lag time between the issuing of the order and the carrying out of the order. Even though the Jedi were busy with the battles at hand, I would think that they'd be deep in the Force, with the more able of them having Lightsaber Combat and Danger Sense on full alert, probably also Combat Sense if they could swing it. As I see it, as soon as the order was given, hostile intentions were immediately focused on the Jedi. The Jedi should then have been able to pick up on it. Now, I will definitely grant some surprise when the Jedi detects this new danger behind them, whirls around, and beholds a squad of soldiers suddenly taking aim at them. However, the troopers took the time to line up side by side before firing. This should have given the Jedi the time to try SOME kind of escape or attack, rather than just standing before the firing squad. I mean, the Padawan at the Temple fared better than ANY of the Jedi we saw in the cutscenes across the galaxy. That kid was kicking butt until one of the troopers finally slipped a shot past his guard. That is why I think I'll always prefer the stories of the Jedi Hunters that took place over a good deal of time, rather than the immediate execution of an order that took place over the span of space rather than time.

Who knows? Maybe I'm just giving the Jedi too much credit. But for how I personally view the Force and the abilities a Force-sensitive ought to be able to achieve, I think the Jedi were WAY downplayed, especially during the execution of Order 66.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing them so quickly might have just been a theatrical choice, they really didn't have the time to show bunches of Jedi getting run down and whatnot.

Also, the little Padawan probably had good warning and suspicion. First when all the troopers march into the temple for no apparent reason, and a scary dude is leading them. The older jedi in battle are porbably more focused on deflecting blaster fire from droids, and probably would attribute hostility in the troopers as against the droids. Even if they suddenly detected a change in heart, there's not much to do when receiving fire from both sides...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:
Killing them so quickly might have just been a theatrical choice, they really didn't have the time to show bunches of Jedi getting run down and whatnot.

Also, the little Padawan probably had good warning and suspicion. First when all the troopers march into the temple for no apparent reason, and a scary dude is leading them. The older jedi in battle are porbably more focused on deflecting blaster fire from droids, and probably would attribute hostility in the troopers as against the droids. Even if they suddenly detected a change in heart, there's not much to do when receiving fire from both sides...

Actually, i would also say, that it would be hard for the jedi (as we only saw masters) to keep focus on both the battle and any 'danger sense' they had...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree, it was distasteful the way they killed Jedi Masters so easily, and it was too quick, I do feel there are things unconsidered too. Granted, the Jedi could have been using danger sense, but as the power reads, it only gives a sense of danger, but not specific details. It is possible the Jedi could have simply considered the danger around them to be the war. I agree it would have been better and more satisfying to see the Jedi do something, but I disagree with there needing to be hostile thoughts on the part of the clones; the clones were simply executing an order, they didn't "hate" the Jedi, and they probably didn't have really strong feelings about it as they were genetically engineered to obey. Nope, just one more order to carry out. Sure, I feel a Jedi master should have been tipped off by something, or might have detected something, but again, they weren't really worried about their own troops...they had no reason to be. The few Jedi who are obviously shocked and awed by turning to see their own troops taking aim at them illustrates this point. They might have been to dumbstruck to realize what was transpiring. There are many possibilities, and do not we all, as GMs and RPers alike, exploit such ideas when crafting our own adventures? Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
While I agree, it was distasteful the way they killed Jedi Masters so easily, and it was too quick, I do feel there are things unconsidered too. Granted, the Jedi could have been using danger sense, but as the power reads, it only gives a sense of danger, but not specific details. It is possible the Jedi could have simply considered the danger around them to be the war. I agree it would have been better and more satisfying to see the Jedi do something, but I disagree with there needing to be hostile thoughts on the part of the clones; the clones were simply executing an order, they didn't "hate" the Jedi, and they probably didn't have really strong feelings about it as they were genetically engineered to obey. Nope, just one more order to carry out. Sure, I feel a Jedi master should have been tipped off by something, or might have detected something, but again, they weren't really worried about their own troops...they had no reason to be. The few Jedi who are obviously shocked and awed by turning to see their own troops taking aim at them illustrates this point. They might have been to dumbstruck to realize what was transpiring. There are many possibilities, and do not we all, as GMs and RPers alike, exploit such ideas when crafting our own adventures? Twisted Evil

Yup. Just like that lass under those huge mushrooms. She looked so bewildered...
Revan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
What I found strange in those BF2 narrations is that they give you the notion that all the clones knew right from the beginning that they would end up killling the jedi.

I think it's because the clone who speaks already know that they were going to kill the jedi cause he speaks in the past tense. Maybe after executting the Order 66 they all thought that they never liked the jedi.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revan wrote:
Gry Sarth wrote:
What I found strange in those BF2 narrations is that they give you the notion that all the clones knew right from the beginning that they would end up killling the jedi.

I think it's because the clone who speaks already know that they were going to kill the jedi cause he speaks in the past tense. Maybe after executting the Order 66 they all thought that they never liked the jedi.

Humm... yeah, that's a good excuse. But I doubt it's what the game developers had in mind....
Revan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Revan wrote:
Gry Sarth wrote:

Humm... yeah, that's a good excuse. But I doubt it's what the game developers had in mind....

So what do you think they have in mind?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they interpreted that Clone Troopers knew about Order 66. They were trained and conditioned to know at some point Palpatine would give the command and they would slaughter the Jedi. It wasn't a subconscious thing, it was an order they were aware of.

I just can't see that as being the truth, given what we've seen in the movies, comics and whatnot.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least 66 general orders. It would make sense that the Clone Troopers have them all memorized.

But, the clone troopers are conditioned for unquestioning loyalty. They don't know reasons why behind any orders and are not questioning an order as it came up.
They knew about it, if Order 66 is given by Palpatine, all Jedi are to be killed.
The Jedi are your generals.

I doubt it would be something ever present in their minds or expected to ever come up. But when any order comes up, they carry it out without flinching.
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the thing that goes against what you just said, Boomer (and what you said makes a lot of sense) is one of the quotes from the game. I f I remember correctly, after the battle of Felucia with Aayla Secura the clone says something like "she came to congratulate us all for our performance in the mission. We could barely look her in the eyes...." That means it was something that WAS on their minds, not just tucked away, otherwise they wouldn't feel uncomfortable with Aayla's praise. Now consider Aayla Secura, she's just won a big battle thanks to the great performance of her clones, she goes to congratulate them and they can barely look her in the eyes. Isn't that something that might cause some suspicion on her part, maybe enough to instigate her to probe a little the mind of a clone?....
Revan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps yes. But perharps she was with too much adrenaline in her veins to notice that.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, she could perfectly not notice it. But my point is, if the clones are actively aware that they'll slaughter the jedi eventually, it opens up a big risk that the whole ploy might be uncovered by the jedi. With the amount of jedi-clone interaction during the clone wars, somebody at some point would be bound to pick it up. It would be much safer to have it be subconscious.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have for my character is this:

At 18 years of age was conscripted by the Empire, just a few months after being married. An imperail draft agent came and picked him up at work (he worked as a short order cook). Once in the army, officers noticed him in training. Once his army basics were finished, he was transfered into a stormtrooper program.

Once completed, he was sent out to his assignment. For several years he fought the rebels. But finally the New Republic attacked his homeworld. The fighting was bad for both sides. Unfortunaty his wife did die there in crossfire, but it was not by imperial forces. A stray shot from a NR trooper hit his wife and even though they tried to save her the imperials held there ground.

He asked and was denied an evac to get noncombatants out of the area. After the battle he saw his wife. She was dead.

This broke the stromtrooper programming. For not saving his wife is why he hates the Empire. (He also blames the NR for their actions, which is why he uses stun only.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: