The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ex-StormTroopers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ex-StormTroopers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, perhaps, the background might be more effective in illustrating the break of Stormtrooper conditioning if it was one of his own squad that shot his wife. Perhaps she got between the trooper and a fleeing rebel? I feel that if the New Republic was responsible for killing his wife, he would be less likely to break conditioning, as denial of evac can be explained, and would be understood by elite troops...on the other hand, even an elite trooper would balk at a fellow trooper gunning down a civillian, let alone his wife...even just from recklessness.

just my two cents.

Good to see the topic getting back on track too.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put kage. IMO havig your loved one killed by the enemy, would actually strengthen the conditioning, not break it.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not nessarily. Emotional shocks can do strange things to people. One would think that a person that is 'beaten' or 'tormented' would leave their surroundings & 'tormentor'. That is proven not to be the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't want to get into any personal experiences but...

A strong emotional shock tends to have a breaking affect on any behavior pattern considered by the shocked one to be normal.
Absolute loyalty to empire= normal.
Wife dead= shock.
Change = well who cares about the empire now?

It took beating and torture in some cases to create these loyal conscripts to the empire.

And besides, his character doesn't just blame the empire, he hates the new republic too.
to finance my 'vette!
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate is such a strong word. But real close to what he feels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intense dislike, then? Overwhelming apathetical lethargy?

Laughing
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting closer i think.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was just had a really, really bad case of the munchies, and a firefight between some Stormtroopers and Alliance Commandoes stood between him and the Quickie-Mart. So now they're on his hit-list...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with a strong emotional shock, though, my concern is that it is doubtful he would help or side with those responsible for killing his wife.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to agree with Kage on that one. He might go independent, but it's highly doubtful he'd join the Alliance- unless it was to get a chance to take out those responsible for killing his wife.
Hanfan29
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if he and a commander didnt get along because he thought the commander always made bad decisions and got other troopers killed. The commander who he didnt get along with has some pull maybe a father who is a Moff and used it to have him dishonorably discharged
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case he'd be more on a personal vendetta than a crusade to join the Alliance. The only way I see for him to join the Rebellion in that scenario would be to use their resources in order to exact revenge- but that's only if he's vengeance-minded, and only if he was already having second thoughts about the Empire before he was discharged. He'd still most likely be a loyal Imperial citizen, and as such would be less likely to just join the enemy like that. It'd almost HAVE to be the issue of resources, and even then, he's not guaranteed to be allowed to go after that particular officer or unit, so there'd have to be some real compelling storyline to go with it.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Skyler in the above case.

But both the last character mentioned and Chabit's character have not said anything about joining the rebels, the alliance, the new republic, or anything. We all agree they shouldn't, and no one ever said they are.
to finance my 'vette!
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't have to be vengeance minded. Doesn't even have to join the Alliance immediately after leaving the Empire. Once free from the constant propaganda machine of the Empire, he is sure to learn the truth of his suspicians and now be able to do something about it.

E
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my campaign I assume the movies are correct and any expanded universe stuff (books, comics, etc) is a rumour - it may or may not be true. Only the director knows for sure.

Funnily enough, I do the exact opposite, at least for the prequel trilogy and the special editions. Any place that the theatrical holy trilogy or previously established EU continuity is contradicted by the prequels or SE's, I throw out the newer continuity, because I think it's crap. Han shot first, Boba Fett is Jaster Mereel, not a clone, Anakin Skywalker was never a whiny brat, etc. Basically I keep my game continuity where it was when West End was still producing the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: