The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droids with sensors, and ambushes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Droids with sensors, and ambushes... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but Threepio's Cloud City experience isn't quite the best example. He didn't walk into an ambush; what he walked into was probably a restricted area, but one that was obviously populated at that moment by stormtroopers. Notice that they didn't IMMEDIATELY blast him apart; he had the chance to respond and try to talk his way out of the situation. Now, the fact that this didn't work is secondary. Once he saw stormtroopers, he did in fact recognize the threat and began to take measures to extricate himself from the situation.

So even a prissy protocol droid like C-3PO can learn what's dangerous, and try to escape it.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right but my point is that he didn't see it coming. Neither would anyone else unless they were EXPECTING IT! My point is that if Han had told goldenrod to "be on the lookout for imperial ambushes" he might have had a better shot at detecting it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:

Compare it like this. If the PCs hired an NPC instead of buying a droid, would you allow the NPC more chance to spot the ambush than the characters themselves, especially since nobody was expecting an ambush?

Well said scott.
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it the same way. Droids are NPCs, just like a hired bodyguard. They might be more limited in their own decisions, but this can be countered by upgrading or a good programming routine. And they even have their own opinions.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
I see it the same way. Droids are NPCs, just like a hired bodyguard. They might be more limited in their own decisions, but this can be countered by upgrading or a good programming routine. And they even have their own opinions.

That's what I'm talking about. Han didn't have to tell Threepio that Imperials are bad for him to automatically KNOW that stormies in Cloud City was 1) a bad thing, and 2) not supposed to be that way. Remember, Han took them there because he figured it a safe haven. He even asked Lando how they'd kept the Imperials out for so long. Once Threepio detected the stormies, it immediately tripped the fact that the party was now in trouble.

Unfortunately, he got blasted apart before he could warn them.

So, while his "sensor package" might not have been active, once his visual receptors landed on white armor, he recognized the threat and would have alerted the group had he been able to.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right of course skyler, but what the droid does after it recognizes a threat is not what the discussion is about. It's about the chances of the droid recognizing the threat in the first place. And I'm not talking about "knowing that stormtroopers are dangerous", I'm talking about knowing that there might be stormtroopers in the area and being actively looking for them as opposed to accidentally stumbling upon them, similar to being ambushed. Since C3PO had no reason to expect any stormtroopers in that room, he was surprised by them and didn't have a chance to report them. Had 3PO been warned about the possibility in advance, he might have been more cautious and spotted them before he got bushwacked. That's what makes the 3PO situation similar to our discussion, in both cases the droid is unaware of the possiblity of any danger, and so should be surprised by the "ambush" instead of spotting it before hand.

A good reason for this is that a droid (one smart enough to know what's dangerous or not) that has no reason to be on the lookout for an ambush and has not been told to be looking out for one, and who's masters don't seem to be concerned about one, should not just automatically detect the ambush just because it is equipped with fancy sensors. Remember that droids are characters too, and if you go granting these extrordinary powers to NPC droids, then player-character droids will expect to be able to auto-detect ambushes too.

That's one good reason that merely having a droid around shouldn't be a fool proof method of detecting ambushes. I realize this is somewhat different than the actual scenario that gakkhal described from his game, but before we had those facts it was hypothesized that having a sensor equipped droid in your land-speeder would provide protection against ambushes, and that's the point I'm trying to dispute.
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope my players donīt read this discussion. Some relevant skillware, a simple mind and a good programming roll and you have a nasty item for the pcs. I donīt know how to argue against this nearly fool-proof detection machine. It it essentially the same as a motion detector in the hands of a pc - but it has more sensors, is on watch all time and gives alarm all by himself. I might circumvene this bad-@$$ droid with the following rule:

If a group is being ambushed, take the highest perception available. Add the command bonus pip for additional group members (like +1 for 2 members, +2 for 4 members and so on). Then add +1 pip for every additional and different sensor equipment that is currently online - whether on the npc droid, on a pc droid or in the hands of a player - and might be helpful in this situation. Then roll.

What do you think?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, and Scott, thanks for the back up and understanding of what i am trying to get at...

Quote:
A good reason for this is that a droid (one smart enough to know what's dangerous or not) that has no reason to be on the lookout for an ambush and has not been told to be looking out for one, and who's masters don't seem to be concerned about one, should not just automatically detect the ambush just because it is equipped with fancy sensors. Remember that droids are characters too, and if you go granting these extrordinary powers to NPC droids, then player-character droids will expect to be able to auto-detect ambushes too.

Well said, and I might also say if they really wanted their droids to work that way, whether pc or not, then they should not have a problem if all their ambushes got foiled/detected by the enemy using droids with sensors. And you would also get players of non droid pcs griping that they are not getting the same benefits, as they still have to make the search or perception roll to notice ambushes while their droid counterparts don't.

Quote:
I hope my players donīt read this discussion. Some relevant skillware, a simple mind and a good programming roll and you have a nasty item for the pcs. I donīt know how to argue against this nearly fool-proof detection machine. It it essentially the same as a motion detector in the hands of a pc - but it has more sensors, is on watch all time and gives alarm all by himself. I might circumvene this bad-@$$ droid with the following rule:

If a group is being ambushed, take the highest perception available. Add the command bonus pip for additional group members (like +1 for 2 members, +2 for 4 members and so on). Then add +1 pip for every additional and different sensor equipment that is currently online - whether on the npc droid, on a pc droid or in the hands of a player - and might be helpful in this situation. Then roll.

What do you think?

Would you allow npcs to use that? What about PC who are droids? Also, a droid with as many sensors as would IMO be needed for 360 constant surveillance, would be majorlly power consuming. How long would a normal droid last?? 10 min???? Nice idea, but i would rather stick with the current 'each side rolls their applicable skill (sneak versus perception/search or sensors for droids with them). Highest wins..
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally try not to build adventure by the idea "here the PC's are ambushed, get overwhelmed, then captured and have to break out" or something like that. In my opinion this restricts the free will of the players.

I start by thinking "what is the regular chain of events if nobody interferes?" Its a lot more work though, but generally its just common sense. The PC's might still be ambushed and put into prison but I don't really plan for it. If they know how to prevent an ambush, they will; be it with sensor-equipped droids, repulsor drone surveilance or superior stealth abilities. If I don't want them to do this for some reason, I like to play with planet anomalies that restrict the use of some of their equipment, but this has to be used sparingly because players tend to react allergically when their toys are taken away... Wink
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most military scouts, say scout troopers or Specforce commandos, would be trained in the art of avoiding sensor sweeps, and would take that into account when setting up an ambush. Military scouts face sensors as their primary opposition; it's the first thing they have to get past. I would oppose their sneak rolls with Sensor Operations. If you really want to get whorey about it, you could do opposed Sensor Operations rolls instead.

I say Sneak vs Sensor Operations, because in every Star Wars movie, book and game it's usually taken as a given that the character's actions in sneaking into a compound also accounts for the enemy sensors. If you want, you could give the sensor operator bonuses- But really, the advantage of sensors is their uncanny range and ability to gain information from miles away. In close situations, I would allow a sensor operator to use Sensor operations instead of perception checks to detect enemies.

If the Imperials or whoever control the area, it's likely the local sensor operator will actively try to jam or deceive enemy sensors.

Of course, your common street thugs would not be trained in this, and probably not think about avoiding sensor sweeps.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TarlSS wrote:
Most military scouts, say scout troopers or Specforce commandos, would be trained in the art of avoiding sensor sweeps, and would take that into account when setting up an ambush. Military scouts face sensors as their primary opposition; it's the first thing they have to get past. I would oppose their sneak rolls with Sensor Operations. If you really want to get whorey about it, you could do opposed Sensor Operations rolls instead.

I say Sneak vs Sensor Operations, because in every Star Wars movie, book and game it's usually taken as a given that the character's actions in sneaking into a compound also accounts for the enemy sensors. If you want, you could give the sensor operator bonuses- But really, the advantage of sensors is their uncanny range and ability to gain information from miles away. In close situations, I would allow a sensor operator to use Sensor operations instead of perception checks to detect enemies.

If the Imperials or whoever control the area, it's likely the local sensor operator will actively try to jam or deceive enemy sensors.

Of course, your common street thugs would not be trained in this, and probably not think about avoiding sensor sweeps.

Well put.

Quote:
I personally try not to build adventure by the idea "here the PC's are ambushed, get overwhelmed, then captured and have to break out" or something like that. In my opinion this restricts the free will of the players.

I am actually, thinking more for actual ambushes to take out, not capture... But i rarely have had them so far. Out of my 7 modules now in sparks (got word the 7th was okyed just prior to new years) Very Happy , i have ambushes happen in 2 (one is nothing more than a scout party of imperials, who have already detected the party, and lie in wait, the other is the end fight of one of the modules, where the BBEG and his bodyguards hide behind a 'fake' wall.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's look at the first example of an ambush from episode 4. R2D2 picks up the tuskan raiders (who have little tech). Now if at this point it was just Luke and R2 would R2 have mentioned the movements from the east? I don't think so. But, since he perceived a threat to his friend 3PO, he mentioned it. Droids may pick stuff up all the time and just not say anything, or not classify it as a threat. The loyalty that a droid has says much to answer the question: "will I let them know, or not"?
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Droids may pick stuff up all the time and just not say anything, or not classify it as a threat. The loyalty that a droid has says much to answer the question: "will I let them know, or not"?

I see it the same for droids with an complex or advanced personality, as it should be the minimum personality for pc droids (confer cynabars ft droids). But if the pcs own a simple minded droid or one without any personality which they regularly memory wipe, which has a programming routine to always be on watch and alarm every suspicious detection, basing his suspicion on advanced tactical and sensor skillware, then there would be a problem. It could still be countered, of course, but the pcs are much more safer now - for around 5000 credits.

Street thugs could, by the way, be advantaged because they usually strike in a city - and because of the amount of citizens and electronic action the sensors could have problems filtering out relevant data.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:

In general I disagree with this style of GMing, since most often it leads to inadequately played NPCs, but I have seen it done and done well before by extremely imaginative GMs. I generally need more prep time to think about the motivations of my NPCs and work out what their plans are and what they will be trying to accomplish, and then let the PCs interact with that, doing whatever they want. That way I have a more firm grasp on what the NPC will do, regardless of what the PCs do, and I an focus my imagination on describing the world and the actions taking place and less on trying to figure out what will happen next. I'm not saying the "fly by wire" way is wrong. Some people just have the knack for it. In practice though think most of the time it's used in haste by GMs that just didn't devote enough time (or any time) to preparation.

TarlSS wrote:
Most military scouts, say scout troopers or Specforce commandos, would be trained in the art of avoiding sensor sweeps, and would take that into account when setting up an ambush.

I agree, and I think that's particularly fitting in encounters where the enemy has some good reason for expecting someone to fall into their ambush.

TarlSS wrote:
If you really want to get whorey about it, you could do opposed Sensor Operations rolls instead.

I think if both sides are actually using sensors, this is probably the proper way to run the encounter. Opposed sensor rolls will determine how well one side is doing at masking themself while detecting the other.

Vartax wrote:
Let's look at the first example of an ambush from episode 4. R2D2 picks up the tuskan raiders (who have little tech). Now if at this point it was just Luke and R2 would R2 have mentioned the movements from the east?

This is a bit more tricky. First of all R2D2 already KNOWS it's a dangerous place he's in! Second, he's been on Tatooine before (if you embrace the prequels) and he knows all about the tusken raiders, so he has a good reason to be on the lookout for them. And lastly, R2 didn't actually say "A tusken raiding party is approaching from the east! Run away!" Which is a good point here as well. Even R2D2, who is VERY worldy and has survived HUNDREDS of brushes with death, doesn't know the difference between "some people to the east" and "Hmm... we're in tusken territory, this landspeeder makes a lot of noise, and there is movement to the east... maybe we should get the Farkle out of here." Even the best droids don't have ESP, and unless they have a reason to be EXPECTING an ambush, might not see it coming.

Vartax wrote:
Droids may pick stuff up all the time and just not say anything, or not classify it as a threat.

Very well put.

Robert wrote:
But if the pcs own a simple minded droid or one without any personality which they regularly memory wipe, which has a programming routine to always be on watch and alarm every suspicious detection, basing his suspicion on advanced tactical and sensor skillware, then there would be a problem. It could still be countered, of course...

I'd counter it like this:

"As you work your way through the rocky hills, your droid beeps a warning! You check it out, and find that the droid has detected a sleeping nocturnal carnivore in the rocks nearby. You go back to climbing, feeling rather safer after avoiding the area with the sleeping carnivore, when the droid beeps at yiou again. You turn back to the droid, which indicates that some loose rocks above you look unstable, and may come crashing down at any moment. You go back to climbing again, wary of the loose rocks and the sleeping carnivore, only to hear the droid beeping at you once more. You turn in frustration and see that the droid has noticed several persons, probably armed, standing on a nearby rocky hilltop. An ambush? You draw your macrobinos and have a look. The three people are humans, carrying hunting gear and sporting blasters. You go back to your climb again, only to hear the blasted beeping of your droid once again. You switch off the farkling thing and continue your climb, blissfully unaware of all the possible dangers nearby."

Of course I'd be role playing that all out with them, but that's how it'd go.
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennervating the players with unnecessary alarms is a good way, but the amount of over/underachievement would at least get lower if the droid is equipped with state-of-the-art skillware. But still this way of dealing with the problem is a good idea. I think the "wish" solution (known from ad&d) is very good. Let the player programming the robot write down a sentence with, lets say, up to his programming roll words, giving him a feeling of control. Only under this circumstances the droid will 1. scan and 2. sound alarm. And go by the letter - because he only has a simple or no personality. If he has a more advanced personality, you can go by your decision .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: