The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How to handle the big guns...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How to handle the big guns... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: How to handle the big guns... Reply with quote

Was thinking of what would happen/how to handle it, if say, the imperals called in for an orbital bombardment on grid X, where grid X is a 100 meter by 100 meter area the pcs are in...??

How would you handle whether they escape unscathed??
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiss their rear ends goodby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 100 meters x 100 meters is a large area, though, a 155mm field artillery High Explosive shell has a kill radius of 50 meters. One shot will kill most things in that area, and they never shoot only one shot. Now, orbital bombardment is probably about the same, though since SD's are supposed to raze worlds, probably bigger explosions per shot (or not if you consider they probably penetrate the earth crust and detonate beneath causing plate movements/volcanoes until they detonate the planet core. Of course maybe they don't destroy worlds in that manner (death star like) and just flatten the surface). Either way, I think the explosion template would be larger and the PC's better be on their way out or they are done for. Somethings just can't be avoided.

E
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have had this situation come up.

A Star Destroyer is automatically going to miss a character, in capital vs. character the capital scale is capped at "-" to hit the character. That isn't a number on the die, that is nothing. You have no chance.

But, a Star Destroyer can hit the 100mx100m square area pretty well. It's still a little small for a typical orbital bombardment, and will be a bit hard to hit, but I would have to ask the following.
What is the terrain?
Where are the character's?

The ship is attempting to destroy an area of land at it's scale, and kill everything within it in the same manner. Thus, the area of land is following the rules of a dying ship, and the characters must make a save against going down with it.
The Terrain determines how much pummeling is required, and what is going to come crashing down on the players.
What the characters have determines survivability.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i was thinking of, was a 'trap' to lure the pcs in, to an imperial facility, that is "dormant"/deserted. They would investigate to see why, and while doing so, the imps show up, and bombard the base, possibily trapping the pcs under it... then having them have to use their ingenuity to come up with ways to get out, while under the "clock". Both for lack of air, and lack of water/food...

So for the blast damage, depending on what 'level/sublevel' they get to, while exploring, might limit the damage, and yes boomber, it stands no real chance to hit the character.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't see why you need any sort of rules or anything for the situation described. The characters enter the facility, SD bombards it from outer space, characters are trapped and bruised and must find a way to escape the rubble before they run out of air. You might want to roll some 3D-4D of damage on them all in the moment of impact, just to give it that extra reality that some of them might be wounded.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Gry here; that was my first thought when I read the scenario. The way he explains it, you have the possibility of real danger to them from the damage roll... but you don't have to actually worry about the SD bombardment actually killing any of them right off the bat. (Unless, of course, they have lousy Stamina and/or roll VERY poorly...)

And this isn't fudging the numbers; this is clearly defining the numbers before you begin, so you know what you're dealing with from the very start. That way, if any of the players complain, you could always tell them, "Well, I WAS going to roll for the actual bombardment, make you take your chances with turbolaser damage, and go from there, but this great group of people over on the Rancor Pit showed me a much better way to do it- one that might not kill you right off...

If that doesn't shut them up, send 'em on over here. Boomer and I will start an all new INCINERATOR thread where we can flame them to a crisp! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

(Just kidding, o wise Administrators... Shocked )

Laughing
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You be careful Skyler. I hear there's a new administrator around, and I'm sure he's eager to show off his newfound powers.....
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am trying to find the off button on my incinerator... Surprised

Anyway. If what you want is to simply have them trapped, than starting by putting them in a hardened facility is a good beginning.

But always remember, if there is a certain way you want things to go, do not leave it up to luck. If the characters must live, do not make a damage roll. If the characters must have a certain item, do not let anyone touch it but them. If the characters must escape, give them the key and don't worry about theirs or the enemy's skill.

Truth be told, only set up the situation, never put a demand on yourself that it MUST go a certain way. You cannot control the dice OR the players.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I have to agree with Gry here; that was my first thought when I read the scenario. The way he explains it, you have the possibility of real danger to them from the damage roll... but you don't have to actually worry about the SD bombardment actually killing any of them right off the bat. (Unless, of course, they have lousy Stamina and/or roll VERY poorly...)

And this isn't fudging the numbers; this is clearly defining the numbers before you begin, so you know what you're dealing with from the very start. That way, if any of the players complain, you could always tell them, "Well, I WAS going to roll for the actual bombardment, make you take your chances with turbolaser damage, and go from there, but this great group of people over on the Rancor Pit showed me a much better way to do it- one that might not kill you right off...

I am thinking of them running (the turbo strikes) on a specific time table, so that after rebels have entered the base (detected by monitoring sites either inside or out), they send a comm burst to the waiting SDs. They then show up, and at time marker X proceed to bombard the place... So, depending on where the characters are, they MIGHT be in danger of getting hit by the full effects (like if they stayed out side, went onto the roof, or are in the upper levels)...

Quote:
But always remember, if there is a certain way you want things to go, do not leave it up to luck. If the characters must live, do not make a damage roll. If the characters must have a certain item, do not let anyone touch it but them. If the characters must escape, give them the key and don't worry about theirs or the enemy's skill.

If you have not noticed a trend in my threads, it is that i do not subscribe to a belief that they MUST live or survive. Whether they do, or not, depends on how they approach the challenge set...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, It's just that I believe that it's terribly unfair and bad gaming if all your players suddenly get vaporized out of nowhere due to an orbital bombardment, if they couldn't possibly know a thing like that might happen if they linger outside. Players should only suffer such insta-death encounters if they act with complete disregard to common-sense or fail time and again to notice what's going one by the hints given by the GM.

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such as "I try to parry the Turbolaser Blast with my Lightsabre!"?

"OK, you deflect the part of the blast that hits the blade. The remaining blast, however, goes past the lightsabre, and incinerates you. Sure, roll "Absorb/Dissipate Energy", no, you didn't roll high enough. Not even close. You forgot the scale differences. Now, in order to pay pennance for doing something so stupid, Ray gets to choose your next character."

Rodian Pacifist. Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Well, It's just that I believe that it's terribly unfair and bad gaming if all your players suddenly get vaporized out of nowhere due to an orbital bombardment, if they couldn't possibly know a thing like that might happen if they linger outside. Players should only suffer such insta-death encounters if they act with complete disregard to common-sense or fail time and again to notice what's going one by the hints given by the GM.

So, if the imperials laid a trap, and spring it, where there is little to no chance of escaping from it, i should not pull it??
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the players should always have SOME chance of surviving an encounter. There should be some way where if they are clever they'll find about the trap, or a way to survive it. If you just set them on a course and spring a trap from which they stand no chance of surviving, that's pretty much the same thing as starting the adventure and saying: "You're all dead!" Start making new characters....
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Imperials are using turbolaser bombardment, then each shot would cover only a 10 meter radius. If the Imps fired all the batteries simultaneously then yeah, no chance, but if they were firing in succession then it could be a race for the characters to avoid the blasts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: