The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How to handle the big guns...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How to handle the big guns... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I mean, an adventure is supposed to have action scenes, not execution scenes.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, if.

Since you don't make expectations like that, than you already know what I am trying to say.
to finance my 'vette!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the characters are in a speeder, then that would make an interesting cinematic chase sequence! Zooming along in their stolen speeder as the shots come down around them, behind them, in front of them. Like an artillery barrage!

Might I suggest some of the Speeders that I've written up for stats? Wink

The Hot Chub Mobile comes to mind. Twisted Evil
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray: Sleazy used-speeder salesman.

Wink
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you guys like to envision the games like movie scenes too huh? I try to see the action in my mind when I think up these things.

Of course, some folks think I'm crazy...

No they don't, you're just paranoid.

Shut up, who asked you anyway?

Shut up yourself...they're looking at you funny.

Ahem.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Ray: Sleazy used-speeder salesman.

Yep, complete with Plaid Spacesuit! Very Happy
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't....do....PLAID!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, he's gone plaid.

This is ludicrous.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I believe that the players should always have SOME chance of surviving an encounter. There should be some way where if they are clever they'll find about the trap, or a way to survive it. If you just set them on a course and spring a trap from which they stand no chance of surviving, that's pretty much the same thing as starting the adventure and saying: "You're all dead!" Start making new characters..../quote]

Am i am looking at ways for this, partially my asking about it... Over on the holonet, Hisham suggested the following..

Quote:
Averting it would only come from the story that the PCs are going through and not from any specific dice mechanics.
Examples:
A Star Destroyer rolls and brings its main guns to bear on a city where the PCs are in. It will fire in a set amount of rounds.
PCs would have one or more of these chances:
1. ...in contact with the ship's captain, and persuading / con / bargain with him to prevent firing.
2. ...slice into the ship's computers and disable the weapons or to mislead the fire control computers.
3. ...contact a nearby friendly ship to engage the destroyer, thus distracting them from the bombardment initially, allowing them to flee.

and my responses..

for #1 - "
This is the one i can see happening, for what i am dreaming up...."
for #2 - "Kind of hard, since they are on the ground, and the ships are in orbit. Infact i would say almost impossible, unless they had some high class communications gear..."
for #3 - "Possible, if there was one available in the vicinity that was not already engaged with the star destroyers (or what ever i had up there)... but then again, they still need high powered comms gear to reach that far."

Posted by Terras Jadeonar & Raven..
Quote:
OOohhh, that does sound interesting.... Reminds me of movies like "Daylight", and other similar disaster type movies.

There'd probably be other hazards like cracked gas mains, air quality - toxins / chemicals or smoke, maybe a broken sewage line like a small area they gotta wade through...

Quote:
I'd probably have a secret way out, underground, possibly one of those mag-lift tube cars designed to take ya right under the city and out past to some countryside cottage estate, but of course it may be functional, but tunnel is collapsed some distance down... might be a collision alert warning and the group has to bail or stop the car

What about at the tunnel's collapse, is right underneath some old forgotten / abandoned metro subway transit system? They could climb up into there, plenty more hazards that way too...

My repspone to that - "I am actually looking at the first as a possible way out for them, if they actually think to look for it, but i will state i am not going to make that easy (like high end very difficult to heroic level searches), and even then, comes the opening a path to it, and security/comp prog rolls to over ride anything there.
I am also thinking of having other traps in that tunnel..."

Questions he asked..
Quote:
A few questions
- whats in this lab / facility?
- why was it abandoned?
- ok, bombardment strikes but how did they get into the facility and why?
- would is be intirely possible the pc's getting into / finding the facility is what triggered a silent alarm with some code 75 omega "high urgency" in which the imps came asap to contain the situation and bombard to level the facility / wipe its trace permanently?

My reply..
"Ok... for #1 and 2. I am thinking of making it an amabdoned research or possibily even an intelligence facility specifically designed to be 'targeted and colapsed', to trap rebel scum!
It was 'abandoned' as a ploy to lure them in. The rebels are there, trying to sniff out what the imperials may have left/gather intell.
For #3. Yes, some sort of sensors either inside (or highly stealthed scouts watching and observing the rebels from OUTSIDE) and after they have been inside for a little, a comm transmission is sent to the orbiting ships (say 4 carracks and 1 ISD) to start the bombardment.

So right there, that might give them one hint of the comming problem (if they think to have something listening for comm chatter and manage to crack it)

My last thoughts on that thread there..
"What i am thinking of, and need help with coming up with numbers for, is ..
1 - if they ARE caught outside, what to make the number of 'dodges' for them to get to somewhere safe (say back inside!!!), and the damage for those 'blasts'....
EG if they are on the roof, near the edge, they would have to make 4 dodges to get back to the roof entrance, 8d/6d for the first (failed/made it), 7d/5d for the second etc...
2 - if they are inside, but on one of the higher levels, making 2-3, to get to a stairwell/lift and get down, before the roofs colapse, and what to make the damage for that be.."

Quote:
If the Imperials are using turbolaser bombardment, then each shot would cover only a 10 meter radius

Jamfke.. Where are you getting this from??
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one, the only thing I've been able to find in the rules on turbolasers is in the Imperial Sourcebook. Doesn't mention anything about orbital bombardment, but that a turbolaser battery's blast radius is 10 meters.

Imp Sourcebook Chapt. 9: Combat Artillery, pg. 120. The entry mostly covers ground emplaced turbolasers though.

Also, I have finished reading Dark Lord, The Rise of Darth Vader, a new book by James Luceno that picks up just a month after RoTS (great read BTW), and there is a scene in it that describes bombardment of a planet by SDs and implicitly states that the blasts have a 10 meter radius. While this book might not be considered cannon by some, I think it does bear some credulity.

Is there a description of orbital bombardment elsewhere in a supplement? If so, please enlighten me! Really!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
For one, the only thing I've been able to find in the rules on turbolasers is in the Imperial Sourcebook. Doesn't mention anything about orbital bombardment, but that a turbolaser battery's blast radius is 10 meters.

Imp Sourcebook Chapt. 9: Combat Artillery, pg. 120. The entry mostly covers ground emplaced turbolasers though.

Also, I have finished reading Dark Lord, The Rise of Darth Vader, a new book by James Luceno that picks up just a month after RoTS (great read BTW), and there is a scene in it that describes bombardment of a planet by SDs and implicitly states that the blasts have a 10 meter radius. While this book might not be considered cannon by some, I think it does bear some credulity.

Is there a description of orbital bombardment elsewhere in a supplement? If so, please enlighten me! Really!

Is that a base 10m, or total radius? Seems strange it has less of a radius than a greanade...
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, this was talking about ground emplaced artillery turbolasers, but it was a 10 meter radius, or 10 meters in every direction.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't strange that it has such a small radius, smaller than grenade.

In fact, it is strange that it would even have a blast radius at all. It's a friggin laser beam! Since when do lasers have blast radii!?

Just a simple question, nothing more. Smile
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can't really expect a Star Wars turbolaser to conform to any known physics law... it's just a big ol' column of energy that destroys things, no need to get technical. I think a 10m readius for a single turbolasr blast bombarding a planet is about right. If you wanted to actually roll damage, I'd include some falloff. Like, 5 meters full power and decrease from there up to 10m.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering we have yet to see any precedence that would cause any of the energy weapons in Star Wars to have a blast radius, save for the pulse cannon and disruptor in a few of the games, than really, it makes no sense.
The blasters are focused explosions, so really that might have a blast radius, yet they don't.
The lasers, in all cases behave like lasers. This includes the space battles where we see the lasers having a definite length and even lead time.
In space, fighting at those distances, at those speeds, light does indeed have lead time on it.
It takes 3 seconds for light to go from the earths surface to the moon's. At closer distances of 100km or so, you can see why a laser gun would appear to behave more like a bullet.

Just wanted to get the "but the lasers act like bullets" argument out of the way to begin with. No, they are acting like lasers in all respects, they do in almost everything read and published about them thus far.
Why this one instance do they have a blast radius?
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: