The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Inverted gravity well projectors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Inverted gravity well projectors Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Inverted gravity well projectors Reply with quote

Wanted by Cracken tells us that the gravity well projectors of an interdictor cruiser send out waves of energy that disrupt mass lines in space. This simulates a mass shadow, but only in hyperspace.

If there is any way to invert this projectors, so that they project a mass shadow into realspace, what to you think the effect might be? Think about the gravity of a planet compressed on a globe with 12 space diameter. I am talking about a weapon that could crush suns. It might incite black holes.

And has anybody an idea what "mass lines in space" might be and how they could be influenced?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mass lines in space" is a term in multidimensional physics. It is a term for a hypthetical "fabric of space" that can thread throughout a universe. Some beleive our universe has this (String Theory) but most hold it as mumbo-jumbo that can't happen in our universe.

But the thoery is sound enough where it could happen in some dimension. A dimension where faster than light travel could also be possible. Guess, what, that's technically hyperspace.
And there is no clearer definition than that without making up words.

Yes, it is possible to generate gravity of the same type in real-space. The gravity of the machine producing this than begins to bend under the wight of the field it created, weaking the field as the generator is stressed out, or the generator just breaks and it ruins the entire process.

Basically, gravity well generators making real gravity on catastrophic levels "works" but is going to destroy itself before anything else. Which causes it to not work.

But if generate a very, very bad gravitational field for even a little bit in the right place, you can have a "gravity bomb".
Or, generate normal gravity while on a planet, make a crowd of people fall sideways. Pull down objects in flight, et cetera. By increasing gravity in small amounts, in small areas, you can create a gravity weapon that doesn't break itself.
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you must have explained it in some other thread, Boomer. But could you tell me how come you know so much about weird space physics stuff? Shocked
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a lot. Started with books and the library, than educational channels.

Wikipedia is a GREAT place to find online info.

I hate when people ask me for links to back up my info. Sorry, but if I were a crackpot I could find hundreds of sites to back up anything I say, no matter how insane. Do your own research if you don't beleive me, and please do NOT beleive everything you read on the internet.

But yeah, I know so much because it is my interest, I find the information where I can.
And I love these message boards as they are the only ones where a physics discussion did not fall into a flame war just because there was a disagreement. We really discuss.
to finance my 'vette!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Inverted gravity well projectors Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
Wanted by Cracken tells us that the gravity well projectors of an interdictor cruiser send out waves of energy that disrupt mass lines in space. This simulates a mass shadow, but only in hyperspace.

If there is any way to invert this projectors, so that they project a mass shadow into realspace, what to you think the effect might be? Think about the gravity of a planet compressed on a globe with 12 space diameter. I am talking about a weapon that could crush suns. It might incite black holes.

And has anybody an idea what "mass lines in space" might be and how they could be influenced?

But they do have an affect in real space as well. Ships in hyperspace have to suddenly drop out of hyperspace thanks to the mass shadow an interdictor throws up. Ships in real space have to getout of the mass shadow first before they can jump to hyperspace.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, one of the novels DID have an interdictor reverse their gravity well projectors, making them into huge tractor beams PUSHING against the ships trying to ram them... Just cannot remember which of the books that was in..
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the X-Wing novels. That was a beautiful scene!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that is one thing you can already do with normal tractor beams. And I also mentioned doing it with a regular ol gravity projectors to make things fall weird directions.

Oh well, the point is we all agree it can work.
to finance my 'vette!
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers, but as usually three more showed up.
1. Thanks, Boomer, strings was also my first idea. But if the mass lines are strings, why is it that iirc strings only produce gravitons on a massless spot? And gravitons are still not found, instead making theoretical problems to todays physicists. It may be a formulationg problem of SW, or it might be something completely different.
2. Why should the gravity well break under its effort to produce realspace gravity? Imagine the gravity well produces gravity waves instead and the points where they "target" are points of additive interference.
3. That source about the novel is very interesting. Thanks! What happened to those ships which were pushed against?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1, like said, string theory can't work in this universe, it is stupid. But it or something similar could work in another universe. Mass lines are something similar and describing further would involve making up words. Hyperspace like in Star Wars may not be exactly real.

2. It would break under it's own gravity as a point of logic. Think about it, it is making things heavier, including it'self. Soon it cannot support itself. Best to either only shift gravity around at less extreme levels (like only a couple Gs shifting directions) or to create the biggest change in gravity you possible can at one time (causing a 3 mile radius area of a planet to fall towards a single point at one time, maybe over the course of 3 seconds or less, at maybe about 15Gs)
And "Gravity Waves". No such thing. They cannot exist in this universe, gravity does not increase farther away from it's source no matter how it is produced.

3. I wanna read that novel. Sounds cool. But I you can still knock around ships like that with a tractor beam.
to finance my 'vette!
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre talking very directly about quite accepted theories, boomer. Gravitational waves perfectly explain the loss of orbit between the double pulsars PSR 1913+16. They are the direct result of the general theory of relativity. 1993 Hulse and Tayler got a Nobel prize for this discovery.

Imagine the typical wave experiment:
A tip touches in rhytmical periods the surface of a bowl of water. Waves start expanding from the touchpoint. Now imagine two heavy object orbiting each other in spacetime. The effect of their movement in spacetime is the correspondent movement of the surrounding spacetime. Not unlike to waves in water, waves in spacetime show up.

Very heavy objects, orbiting each other in pairs with very fast rotation speed, arranged like a parabol antenna, and all together the mass of a planet, could transfer the effect of their mass to a maxima at their focus. Remember - orbiting objects would in spite of their centrifugal force lose distance, because they send away gravitational waves. So donīt ask my how those masses could probably be kept focused and prevented from crashing together - i just try to explain.

But it is something different from just raising the mass of the gravity well - it transfers the whole effect of their mass to a point.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That only proves that two sources of gravity will produce more gravity at an intersecting point away from each other than one source could alone.

How this also proves a single source of gravity is capable of making gravity waves in a way that makes extra gravity at a point further out is, well... to me it is silly.
to finance my 'vette!
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The effects of gravitation expand at the rate of light - as nothing can go faster, right? If a mass would be moved, it takes a time till the effect of the changed position is reaching me. This expansion of the changing gravitation is a gravitational wave. A rhythmical movement gives this change in gravity a frequency. And there is the wave.

Gravitational waves seem to be true. How their interference is calculated is mathematics too high for me, so i hope my heuristic approach proves right and i didnīt miss a point.

I thinked it through, and the well would still be very heavy, as the gravitational wave could only take the potential energy of the orbiting objects and not the gravitation itself, couldnīt it? Still this device needs scifi tech, and is only an excuse for the mechanics behind a gravitational wave. I wonīt dare and patent it Razz
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravity still moves at the same speed as gravity, making gravity in waves will not cause gravity to be stronger at a further point than a nearer one.

Seriously, think about it. From a single source, how does gravity generated at variable levels or generated constantly from a moving source cause gravity to be higher at a point further away from the source.

Now if your really talking about moving the source of gravity for the doppler effect, denser greavity ahead of the moving object, than explain to me how the pull is still viable given gravity's already weak pull. Your are now travelling at your target faster than the gravity well is pulling it, your going to ram them. In which case, why bother wasting power generating gravity, use the space for the generator for a thick armored bow and use the energy for greater thrust and just ram the target.
to finance my 'vette!
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From a single source, how does gravity generated at variable levels or generated constantly from a moving source cause gravity to be higher at a point further away from the source.

Well, it wonīt. The gravity at the maxima cannot be higher than the original gravity. I never said it should, did i? I said the effect of mass - gravity - can be transported and can interference, therefore building maxima and minima. Minima canīt be negative, by the way.

Why the Imps came up with an Interdictor cruiser and didnīt invest their money into something more crude, i donīt know. I guess this is where space opera comes in. I hope i am not misunderstood. I donīt think the physics of Star Wars can be broken down to ours, but their is some lure in thinking about how something might work. I try to use my understanding of sociology and psychology for the reactions of npcs, too. This approach improves my love and understanding for the setting - but use my ideas as you please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: