The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revenge of Alderaan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Revenge of Alderaan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Revenge of Alderaan Reply with quote

Next door neighbor's kid has never seen the movies, never played this RPG before either. But he has played a couple Star Wars based video games, and loves the universe and mythos behind it all.

While making his character for a run through the rebellion, he made something of a traditional, old style fighter. Spread out his skills among blasters, melee, martial arts, and the use of various vehicles, and when he joined the rebellion he was assigned the task of ground trooper to assist in raids.
One thing that caught me was his choice of Arial Beast Riding... he wanted to own and ride a giant bird back on his home planet. Well hey, Alderaan had plenty of that. So he became an Alderaanian Rebel, Chad Green, serving the rebel cause on a ship with his father, Conker Green.

The first mission went well. Stealing food, rations meant for the Imperial Military, to give them to an overtaxed planet that was having trouble with food. He had fun, and came up with the brilliant plan of using a holographic woman to distract the imperial soldiers and cause a ruckus on the other side of the port.

Anyway, once that was done, he was feeling homesick, took a small fighter and flew off to Alderaan to see home, his momma, his pet giant Bird... only to find nothing but a debris field in it's place...

...Chad Green heard the news soon after, about the new Imperial weapon known as "The Death Star" making it's debut by eliminating the "Rebel Nest" of Alderaan. He knew Darth Vader was aboard that weapon, knew of Vader's place beside the Emperor, and blamed Vader solely. He has vowed to do whatever it takes to kill Vader.

And that is where we left off. With some brilliant acting by an 11 year old as he vows to kill Vader.
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, it good to hear about a youngster managing to pull off a good RPG session. I believe that is a rare trait nowadays....

I thought it strange when you said he hasn't watched the movies, but fell in love with the Star Wars mythos through a couple video games. I just don't know how mcuh mythos one can actually find in most of those. Unless he played KOTOR or maybe Jedi Knight. I guess X-Wing Alliance might give you some insight as well. Oh well, I'm glad he loves it. Now you should should really show him the movies. What a fanatic he'll become then!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He already has a deep connection to when they blow up Alderaan. He just hasn't seen it for himself yet.

Yeah, he fell in love with the Mythos, stuff about the Jedi, the tons of aliens, and the way everything may or may not work. Knowing that almost anything in Star Wars existed is what prompted him to make a character that rides a giant bird. He knew it had to be somewhere in Star Wars.

Thinking of taking this into a slightly darker direction now. Along with the groups usual mission of harassing the Empire and helping various alien peoples, I also want his character to look into "Jedi Slaying" on his search for a way and a chance to kill Vader. I know the Rebel Alliance might encourage it.
to finance my 'vette!
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Aerial beast riding.

I think there were thrantas on Alderaan, according to the Illustrated Star Wars Universe. So, it's no stretch for him to have the skill. The character might have rode on it throughout his youth.

Thranta at Wookieepedia
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, first he took the skill and asked if he could have one, than I made him Alderaanian.
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on your part, Boomer!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hisham is clearly thinking along the same lines as I, too. I could use a pile of ideas for where to take the game now if I ever get the chance to play with him again.
to finance my 'vette!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the game is back!

Jay, we shall call him, took his character sheet to school to show off. All the kids loved it, they got interested in Star Wars RPG.
...someone also stole his character sheet. Weird...

Anyway, it is spring break, and Jay invited his friend, Shay, over for the week.

We began the campaign over again. Shay loved character creation and looking through my tables. The fact I fit all pertinent rules on just three pages, he thought was cool. And while Jay was getting bored having to re-write his character, Shay actually liked the idea of being able to write out all his imagined alter-ego could do.

Jay now plays Jack Green. Shay plays his brother, Breeze Green.
We began at the beginning, with the plan to raid warehouse of military rations so we could feed a starving planet that was over-taxxed by the Empire. Only this time... they were doing a horrible job unlocking the door, and Breeze used his shotgun which got the Imperial's attention.

They grabbed just two loads of food and ran. And now onto the matter of where we would get food now. This was troublesome... we toyed around the idea of raiding some other Imperial stronghold for their military rations. Jack and Breeze did not like the idea of "difficult", "possible death" and the reawrd being a few tons of military rations... was there anyone else we could rob for food? Are the Empire the only food stealing, over-taxing bad guy in the galaxy?
...well, there is the Hutts...

So now we are on Tattooine. We are going to rob criminals of their food. Went to a big Cantina with extensive food stores to cater to Hutts and various gluttons. Breeze began by distracting the guards. Found a piece of junk and began talking with a weequay and two Gammoreans about it, playing it off like it was a brand new explosive.
Jack and the others than snuck in, went to the food stores, and began loading up the food.
Now is the part where I should mention, they are both armed with shotguns. Why they chose shotguns over blasters, I dunno. Only Breeze has the fire-arms skill, and Jack is really more of a swordsman, being a traditional Alderaanian.
As a Gammorean on partol rounded the corner and saw us taking food, a fight ensued. The green piggy-man charged at Jack with his axe, and BLAM, Jack blew him away in one shot.
It was than Breeze's turn. The thugs he was talking to heard the shot and began to run back to their post. As they were getting away, Breeze shot the Weequay (the only other guy with a ranged weapon) and took him down, and proceeded to shred the Gammoreans.
We went back and forth between Jack and Breeze, and had to leave off right in mid-battle.

Great game I thought.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job with the new recruits..... And with his backstory and way of looking at things, you have many an advaenture plot hook to use....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: