The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Blaster Counters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Blaster Counters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Blaster Counters Reply with quote

Sorry I accidentally posted this in official rules instead of house rules

Hi All
I was wondering if any of you had been able to nail down a decent method for tracking blaster shots and when you have to reload. I know blaster pistols power packs have enough energy for 100 shots but does the gas chamber hold that much gas on a full charge? So you just assume both run out at the same time if charged at the same time? And Heavy blaster pistols boost their damage by igniting extra gas (there by using it up faster) so does their gas run out 4x faster and need to be reloaded more often than the power pack?

I was wanting to develope some kind of card with counters or tick boxes to keep players honest about being in a shoot em up campaign for several sessions and never having to reload their gun. I guess that adds to the hero and movie quality of the game but if any of you have a good trackng system I would love to hear it.
Thanks
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Ammo Counter PDF from "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" ( http://www.allflesh.com/Ammo.pdf ) and use that. It's got checkboxes for 100-Round and 30-Round items.

Black out five boxes, and you have a 25-Round box for Heavy Blaster Pistols.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things about ammo in Star Wars, there is just so much of it that it is quite realistic to go through a battle fireing nearly a hundred times and not reloading. The improvment of the blaster. Very Happy

I got a notepad open at all times. I write down a tick mark for each shot made when the player rolls, next to his name and the list of weapons he had available I put the tick for the weapon he used.

On average, 10 shots are fired in one encounter, than brand new power pack is used anyway.

The blaster gas is proportionate to the amount of power in the pack. Only when using stun does one run out before the other.

Heavy Blasters tend to just use heavier power packs. Incompatible power packs for diffrent blaster types, even for simply being diffrent models of the same blaster type, is a great thing to throw at players on occasion.

The card counter things is a great idea. In a LARP I played the guns were on cards with an ammo counter on them. You tore off the ammo used and handed it to your target when you rolled against them. Great system.

I have been toying with a card idea like yours for a while. It can indeed work. I have seen it work.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:

Heavy Blasters tend to just use heavier power packs. Incompatible power packs for diffrent blaster types, even for simply being diffrent models of the same blaster type, is a great thing to throw at players on occasion.

I have done that on occasion, where a powerpack for say, a ST1 rifle won't work for anything else...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group ruled that Blaster Packs were one of the things that the Republic had standardized, to make things easier on the Army and Navy it needed in the early days, and it just went from there. The Empire kept it the same way because, well, it had all these clips from the Clone Wars, might as well use them. And all the factories already tooled up for producing them on BOTH sides of the Clone Wars.

So, essentually, we had two different types of Blaster Packs: Pistol and Rifle.

There are a FEW blasters out there with custom clips. (Hold-Outs, Blast and Smashes, Ect.) that are incompatable with anything else, however...
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I our group I have made this simple.
There are only X types of standart power packs:

Hold-out power packs
Pistol power packs
Rifle power packs
Light repeating power packs

So if you, for example, use a power pack in your blaster pistol and fire 20 shots (80 left) and then put it in your heavy blaster pistol, you would have to divide your ammo by 4 (since the heavy blaster pistol uses 4x the power).
Therefore you would have 20 shots left.

We find this system simple and easy.
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the input. I will put most of your ideas (in some form or another) into practice. Its great to have a community of minds and experience
to fall back on.

Long live SWD6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: