The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Players always do the unexpected...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Players always do the unexpected... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mythologian
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean about players doing the unexpected. I ran a game last semester that involved the players shutting down a spice ring. I expected them to find the warehouse, blow it up and leave. The group had been very action oriented (they developed a "Patented Burst-in Maneuver" the summer before). Four hours and a complicated multi-phase sting operation later, they've got the main spice dealer captured, his bodyguards are dead and a street-level dealer was framed for the murders. They also looted the safe for some credits and enough evidence to send the leader to a penal moon for the rest of his life. Player will always surprise you.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one player that constantly does what he probably shouldn't do. He is hard to predict, but that makes it fun.

He does a lot of things like that. He was using a New Republic Star Destroyer as that is what he commands. Some how (I forget the details) the bulk of the ships weapons become disabled and he's in the middle of a firefight with an interdictor and several TIE Interceptors. So his solution to the problem is the ram the Interdictor and knock the bridge complex out with the underside of his Imperial (or Imperator) class Star Destroyer.

I totally didn't expect that. He didn't even really launch any fighters to speak of, he just took his hits and then smashed the other ship.

Another thing he did was capture a bounty hunter that was after him. Which was a player character by the way. He went down to talk to him while he was in the detention area, and he just pulled a blaster and shot him in the face until he was dead.

I didn't expect that either. But that's what makes things interesting.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unexpected is fun. But people should know there are consequences to outrageous unexpected moves.

Taking your examples:

- Star Destroyers are not meant to be used as battering rams. That utterly reckless attack of him might indeed succeed in knocking out the Interdictor's bridge, but that will also destroy a consideravle chunk of the SD, leaking atmosphere away, destroying important systems or even causing some more dangerous damage.

- Executing a prisioner is a crime, no matter who you are. I'd get that player either in jail or through an arduous trial. Or at the very least, people who know him will look at him differently. Oh, and a Dark Side Point, of course.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramming speed! Simple. Effective. Completely detrimental to both parties. I like it!

Taking out the Interdictor's bridge with a collision is risky, but points for style. ISD's are much larger, so I probably wouldn't have destroyed his ship for the move. Damaged, yes, but probably not destroyed.

The execution thing is worrisome. I might have had an NPC guard stop him or something along those lines. At the very least I'd ask the player if he was sure he wanted to do that, then let him live with the consequences.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the ISD is about twice the size of an Interdictor. He also barely cliped the Interdictor smashing the bridge, but it wasn't like he smashed head on into the bridge head complex.

As far as the execution went, there is more backstory to it that probably will help shed light on what happened.

The guy he killed was a bounty hunter executing a warrant for the Admirals arrest that was issued outside the Republic. The charges are actually bogus, but the Admiral never asked what they were. Nor did the Bounty Hunter volunteer that information. Additionally, the Admiral made sure he was alone before commiting his act, and then disposed of the body himself. I checked to make sure he really wanted to do what he did.

Another part to the story is the Captain of the ship is a raging alchoholic. He's one of the functional kind that can work and act normal while being drunk, but you can still tell that he is drunk. The Admiral and the Captain do not get along at all.

The Admiral told him that if he got caught drinking again, he'd be sent to the brig and he'd lose his position and possibly worse. That didn't stop the Captain from drinking and when the Admiral confronted the Captain, the captain had a holo-recording of the murder. Now the Admiral has to deal with the Captain blackmailing him about the incident. The Captain of course has helped cover this up so he can continue to use the murder as leverage.

It has also leaked back to the Bounty Hunter's employer that something has happened to the hunter and a reprisal is forth coming. The Admiral's life is going to turn to a living nightmare, but he does have a chance of getting out of it. Though he'll have to work very hard to do so.

He will be paying the price for his actions. Make no mistake about that. He did get his hard earned dark side point though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: