The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dart types - building on the Arms and Equipment Guide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dart types - building on the Arms and Equipment Guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Dart types - building on the Arms and Equipment Guide Reply with quote

I've been looking at the Arms and Equipment Guide, and started converting stats for all kinds of blasters. Then I came to the S-5 Security blaster, and saw darts. Converting them, I partially based the ideas on WOTC stats, and partially invented something new. (so if it's breaking any copyright laws, please delete this post)

Dart types

Toxic dart: If hit, target rolls Strength against 3D. If he fails, he gets -1D to Strength and Dexterity for 6 hours (primary effect), and then has to roll against 2D+1. If he fails again, he is incapacitated until the poison clears from his body, for 6 hours. (secondary effect). If the character missed the second check, each hour he must make a roll of Strength against 2D+1-X, where X is the number of hours that have passed since the poison dart hit. If he fails any of these checks, the state worsens one step. After those 6 hours, the character returns to normal (unless he has been hit afterwards). Succeeding at any of the two first checks eliminates that and all subsequent checks. Succeeding at a Difficult (primary effect) or Very Difficult check (secondary effect) by less than 5 reduces recovery time to 1 hour (without any more checks) and succeeding by 5 or more, heals the character in 2 rounds of treatment (both removing all trace of the poison)
Cost per dart - 100 credits

Knock-out dart: Target rolls Strength against 4D. Failure - target is now unconscious. Success: by less than 5 -> -1 pip to Dexterity
by 5 or more -> no effect
Cost per dart - 10 credits
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's absolutely nothing wrong with converting d20 stats, it's not an infringment of copyright law in any way.

That's a nice conversion, although I think you made it too literal, with all the repeated checks, primary and secondary effects and all, that's more a d20 thing than D6. D6 shoud be more straightforward, I think.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules for just what the toxic dart does are ok to me, except for one thing.
The way WotC has it, poisons are a status detriment only. Everything is plsu and minus to the numbers on your sheet, not representation of anything real or fictitious. Just math and a bad paper portrayal of a poorly programmed 80s computer MUD from europe. Crazy Belgians...

One thing to consider, instead of it being "The Rule for the Toxic Dart" the dart and the toxin should be seperate things.
The poison, like anything else, is what you put in or on the dart.
The dart is going to do it's own thing wether or not it has poison.

So what you are converting is the toxin, creating for it symptoms and kill time.
to finance my 'vette!
Xenon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing some d20 and d6, then d20 again, now returning to d6, I've decided to revise these rules. Here goes:

Special dart ammunition

Instead of dealing normal dart damage (2D when fired from a dart launcher at up to short range; 2D-1 at longer ranges), darts filled with special ammunition deliver an effect (most often a deadly one). (See below for more details)

Toxin

Effect: On a failed Difficult Strength check, target is immediately wounded and temporarily (until the toxin is cleansed from the body) loses 2D Strength. Further effect:

Target below 0D Strength --- Dead
Target at 0D Strength --- Unconscious
Target above 0D Strength --- Nothing, or if the toxin is more potent, the GM might ask for a Very Easy or Easy Strength check, failure leading to unconsciusness or even death (this is all at the GM's discretion, of course)

"Toxic dart." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Knock-out

Effect: On a failed Difficult Strength check, target is stunned for 2 rounds and loses 1D Dexterity (for 1 hour). If target DEX:

below 0D to 0D ----- Unconscious
1D to 1D+2 ----- Very Easy STR check to avoid falling unconscious
2D, or more ----- nothing

Acid

Effect: For 3 rounds, or until washed off, deals 2D damage to unarmored targets or reduces armor protection (vs. every kind of damage) by 1 pip, until armor provides no more protection

Tracer

Effect: a tracking device is attached to the target, that can be located if using proper equipment (sensors and scanners) and if succesful at a Moderate Sensors check
Krayt
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome stats! I think I might even use them. Good work! Very Happy
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I like the acid dart. Very interesting.
Xenon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I also have to give credit to The Rebellion's Guidelines to converting d20 to d6, as they helped me a lot. The acid ideas were also converted (upped the damage to characters a bit to make it more potent, though). I'll be posting more conversions from the Arms and Equipment Guide soon.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already did a lot of conversions from the A&EG in my Weapons Stats and Equipment Stats books, if you want to use those as a starting point or comparison basis.
Xenon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly, I would use them as a basis for comparison, but every time I tried opening one of those, Adobe reports a damaged file.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried right-clicking on the link and choosing "save target as" instead of directly opening it?
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem once too, I found that if I chose a different version of Adobe Acrobat (either older or newer) to open it with it worked - but that was just my experience.

You definitely want to get ALL Gry's Stats books, they are AMAZING and worth every effort to download correctly.

Good Luck
Xenon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded Equipment and Weapons books (using "save as") and it worked. They're very nice (lots and lots of stuff to use Smile, even some I never heard of in d20), but I'll still go with converting d20, as I think some ideas could be a bit more detailed (with more effects), and it's fun to convert things Wink . That said, here are some disruptor weapons:

Special: Target, when hit, must either make a Moderate STR check, or suffer a damage condition 1 step worse (e.g. Stunned becomes Wounded, damage resisted becomes Stunned, etc.). Ignore personal Shields and Armor. A killed target is disintegrated instead. Disruptor weapons have no stun setting.

Mer-Sonn Model MSD-32 Disruptor Pistol

Type: Disruptor pistol
Skill: Blasters: disruptor pistols
Damage: 3D+1, special
Range: 0-2/ 4/ 8

Tenloss DX-2 Disruptor Pistol

Type: Disruptor pistol
Skill: Blasters: disruptor pistols
Damage: 2D+2, special
Range: 0-2/ 3/ 6

Tenloss DXR-6 Disruptor

Type Disruptor rifle
Skill: Blasters: disruptor rifles
Damage: 3D+1, special
Range: 0-2/ 8/ 20
Special: Target must succeed at a Difficult (instead of Moderate) STR check
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool Xenon, you doing alternate conversions for these items. Give people the choice of either using a simpler mechanic or a more complex one. I always went with simpler, simply because that's how I always felt the D6 system. It rarely asks you to make a STR check to verify effects, that's more of a d20 thing from the Saving Throws. There were some official D6 disruptors, and they did straight damage.

Again, I'm not knocking your conversions here, as I think they are very valid and probably more realistic. I'm just justifying the road I took. Oh, and glad you managed to download my books, enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: