The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mature Content
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Mature Content Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the few star wars books I have read past the first few back in the 90s was the zombie novel Red Harvest. This would have been rated R if a movie due to violent content. So I don't have much of a problem with mature content in the game if all players involved were mature enough to take it seriously.

In another RGP I read of this concept called "Blue Booking" which content is written in a book that was only seen by one player (each player had a book) and the gamemaster. This content is were the gamemaster and the player would explore avenues of the game, mature content, or things that the player didn't wish to share with the rest of the group.

This concept was created by a named source in the RPG that I have. I will give proper credit when I have access to the book. (writing this on the train ride home from Seattle)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen this old thread either.

My games are PG-13. None of the worst profanity not in the films (I encourage the creation of Star Wars variants). Innuendo, but no sex.

A player can tell me that while the other PCs hit the streets to gather information, his PC instead goes to visit the local "companion guild" or "Twi'lek massage parlor". The details are not roleplayed - It happens offscreen.

It hasn't happened yet, but I would allow a PC's pre-campaign background to include having been a prostitute or pimp. But under no circumstances would there ever be any PCs in my game currently engaging in the business of prostitution and pimping. It's not a maturity level concern. I just don't have any interest in telling those kind of stories with my game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you equate the stereotypical street walking prostitute with the higher class courtesans, like companions or the geisha?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
But under no circumstances would there ever be any PCs in my game currently engaging in the business of prostitution and pimping. It's not a maturity level concern. I just don't have any interest in telling those kind of stories with my game.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Would you equate the stereotypical street walking prostitute with the higher class courtesans, like companions or the geisha?

Is this question directed towards me? I'm not sure I understand how equating those things or not has anything to do with it. I'm not interested in telling stories where the protagonists (the PCs) participate in the business of prostitution, regardless of the level of "class" involved.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Is this question directed towards me?

Yes.

Whill wrote:
I'm not sure I understand how equating those things or not has anything to do with it. I'm not interested in telling stories where the protagonists (the PCs) participate in the business of prostitution, regardless of the level of "class" involved.

I meant it more as a difference of skill level and ability instead of class. A basic prostitute would provide little more than a physical service for a fee, whereas a courtesan or geisha has a much broader scope of knowledge and ability, such as performing music, reading poetry, engaging in stimulating conversation, etc, in addition to sex acts. If Enara from the Firefly series is an example, while she is actively engaged in high-class prostitution throughout the course of Firefly, the physical side of things occurs almost entirely off-screen, and the additional training she has received has given her a broader scope of knowledge and ability than would be found in some random street walker.

I suppose the core of my question was whether or not you would be willing to accept a character actively engaged in that sort of thing if it were an established part of the character's background, and was also the basis for their scope of knowledge and ability as a PC.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
Is this question directed towards me?
Yes.

I meant it more as a difference of skill level and ability instead of class. A basic prostitute would provide little more than a physical service for a fee, whereas a courtesan or geisha has a much broader scope of knowledge and ability, such as performing music, reading poetry, engaging in stimulating conversation, etc, in addition to sex acts. If Enara from the Firefly series is an example, while she is actively engaged in high-class prostitution throughout the course of Firefly, the physical side of things occurs almost entirely off-screen, and the additional training she has received has given her a broader scope of knowledge and ability than would be found in some random street walker.

I suppose the core of my question was whether or not you would be willing to accept a character actively engaged in that sort of thing if it were an established part of the character's background, and was also the basis for their scope of knowledge and ability as a PC.

Anymore I run two kinds of Star Wars campaigns, rebels and smugglers. I love Firefly and its a big influence on my game, but it already strained credulity to have Inara on board and associated with a ship crew of scavengers/smugglers/robbers in the long term. The only way it makes any sense at all on the show is that Inara somehow always harbored a deep secret love for Mal despite him always calling her a whore, so she came up with arrangement of renting his shuttle as a ploy to stay near him. (My games also do not roleplay out deep love and romance between characters.) I am not interested in telling the adventures of a current Companion character, and it would just be out of place to have an active high class Companion-like PC who tags along with fringers on their adventures. I could imagine a Companion who is secretly a Rebel agent as a basis of a solo campaign, but again, I'm just interested in telling that kind of story with my game, no matter how much happens offscreen. I also do not allow noble PCs, unless they are poor lower nobles or somehow otherwise disenfranchised from their wealth. (Rich PCs bore me and put a stranglehold on story possibilities).

I would allow the Geisha/Companion profession being an established part of a character's background and the basis for their scope of knowledge and ability as a PC. I would also allow a low class streetwalking hooker to also be a part of a PC's character background. But the PCs would not currently be involved in those activities during the campaign. That's all I'm saying. There are lots of professions I would not allow PCs to currently be active in during a campaign because they just wouldn't fit with the story. But former professions in PC backgrounds? If the players and I can devise a way to get a PC from X background to the premise of the campaign, then we're in business no matter what the background was (Of course the PC's background still has to justify the PC's starting stats, as always).

I thought it was pretty amazing when I shoehorned an adventurous xenoarchaeology graduate student (think Young Indiana Jones) into a smuggler campaign. The smugglers base their operations in a largely unexplored region of space high in ancient xenoarchaeological sites and university presence, the graduate student really needs the smuggling crew money to pay for school, he has hyperspace and other downtime between jobs for coursework like writing papers, and he can occasionally meet with a professor. Of course along the way the group becomes involved in a rebellion and the group uncovers ancient mysteries central to the story arc of the campaign (think Ancient Aliens), so the student is an integral part of the PC group.

I'm just not interesting in telling stories of a Star Wars PC who currently has a Companion's profession. But if anyone else wants to do that, more power to them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
But under no circumstances would there ever be any PCs in my game currently engaging in the business of prostitution and pimping. It's not a maturity level concern. I just don't have any interest in telling those kind of stories with my game.

"Yo Whill Dog I'm just makin' a livin' providing a service."
https://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/09/03/dragoncon-2012-cosplay-pictures-day-3-gallery/mhaithaca9/

http://www.starwarsepics.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=1771
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
"Yo Whill Dog I'm just makin' a livin' providing a service."
https://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/09/03/dragoncon-2012-cosplay-pictures-day-3-gallery/mhaithaca9/

http://www.starwarsepics.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=1771

8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Leia: I'd rather kiss a Wookiee!

Han: That can be arranged!

Whill (GM): Nope. No way. Not in my campaign.

Shocked Wink
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Empire Strikes Back wrote:
Leia: I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee!
Han: I can arrange that!

There's nothing wrong with that. Did your mind go to prostitution from that line? Mine never did.

atgxtg wrote:
Leia: I'd rather kiss a Wookiee!
Han: That can be arranged... for a price!

atgxtg wrote:
Whill (GM): Nope. No way. Not in my campaign.

I fixed it for you. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Empire Strikes Back wrote:
Leia: I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee!
Han: I can arrange that!

There's nothing wrong with that. Did your mind go to prostitution from that line?

Only when I started reading this thread. Suddenly I got a vision of Chewie in fishnet stockings being pimped out by Han. Laughing

But seriously, I agree with you that a Star Wars campaign should pretty much be a PG setting. A GM should hint at the seedier side of things, if only to show that villains such as Jabba the Hutt are indeed evil, and not just misguided.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Suddenly I got a vision of Chewie in fishnet stockings being pimped out by Han.

Shocked 8)

atgxtg wrote:
But seriously, I agree with you that a Star Wars campaign should pretty much be a PG setting. A GM should hint at the seedier side of things, if only to show that villains such as Jabba the Hutt are indeed evil, and not just misguided.

Well said.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's actually more important than it sounds. The OCs in a Star Wars campaign have to have some sort of moral high ground in order for the characters to be heroes. Otherwise the PCs in a Rebellion era campaign can come off looking like thugs and terrorists.

The Empire (or other baddie) has to be shown to be evil and rotten or else the whole thing can fall into a grey area of moral ambiguity. I've seen that sort of thing happen quite a bit in D20 - where the only reason why anybody like the PCs is becuase they are thier own characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: